News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wyatt's Introduction

Started by Wyatt, July 12, 2013, 01:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyatt

Well, my name is Wyatt, obviously. I'm 16 years old, going on 17 this September, going into my Junior year in high school. I live in Oregon, in the U.S. I'm a bit of a recent atheist. I feel like any time I tell someone, they try to assess why. Like, because I'm an Atheist, my gerbil must've died when I was 12 and I decided to hate God. But, no, it just came to me. Most of my friends are Atheists and, I don't want to sound like I was peer pressured into it or anything, but after being around it so long, I decided I should look into it. I just dismissed it with no thought for a long time, and that was something I was ashamed of. So, I looked at the evidence and arguments, and Atheism just made more sense to me.

A little about me. I'm a closet Atheist with family, but totally open with friends. I don't think my mom would be too upset. She's one of those Christians that talks about God when someone dies, but is really laid back and tolerant. My dad (btw, parents are divorced) was forced into a hardcore Jehovas witness lifestyle by his parents so I can't be sure but, after watching him crack up at George Carlin's anti religion rants, I think he just might be an atheist. So, I really don't know why I haven't said anything. I'll get around to it, I guess. Well, other than that, I love martial arts and paintball, and compete in both. That doesn't really have any relevance, but whatever. I think I'm going to wait a while before going into any political beliefs. I want to get a grasp of the atmosphere around here before I get myself stuck in a flame-fest.

Hijiri Byakuren

Welcome aboard. I think you'll find us a pleasant enough bunch.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Plu

Welcome aboard :) Always nice to see some young members.

DunkleSeele

Welcome to the shark tank... I mean, the forum!

the_antithesis

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

StupidWiz

... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

Brian37

Well "it just doesn't make sense" is not where you stop. When I decided to use that word to describe myself, I hardly had any of the information and knowledge in my head I do today.

I've been an atheist online since 01, where I got most my current knowledge, found atheist books to read. But I was an atheist since 94/95.

Terms you should know.

Problem with infinite regress
Fallacy of Pascal's Wager
Circular reasoning, "using a holy book to prove a holy book"
Ocham's Razor

Books you should read, short list and by no means complete.

"The God Delusion" Richard Dawkins
"God Is Not Great" Christopher Hitchens
"The New Atheism" Victor Stinger
"The End Of Faith" Sam Harris
"Letter To A Christian Nation" Sam Harris
"Infidel" Ayaan Hersi Ali

Useful websites.

This one.

www.atheistforums.org the other "Atheist Forms"
www.positiveatheism.com
www.rationalresponders.com
www.atheists.org
www.atheistalliance.org
www.skepticsannotatedbible.com
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "DunkleSeele"Welcome to the shark tank... I mean, the forum!

:rollin:

Whut?  sharks?  Who us?

Welcome Wyatt.  I liked how you described your mom's Christianity who's laid back yet pipes up about god when someone dies.  Classic.  
Hope you like it here!!
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

DunkleSeele

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
Quote from: "DunkleSeele"Welcome to the shark tank... I mean, the forum!

Whut?  sharks?  Who us?

Well, not all of us... some are sexy witches 8-)

Missed you, Bri, glad you see you're back!

stromboli

Welcome. Sounds like you are in a fairly healthy environment compared to some here. The more you learn the less relevant religion becomes.

Wyatt

Thanks to the warm welcome and replies from everyone! I'm sure I'll come to like it here.
Quote from: "the_antithesis"Wyatt, what?
You mean, last name? Or..?

Quote from: "Brian37"Well "it just doesn't make sense" is not where you stop. When I decided to use that word to describe myself, I hardly had any of the information and knowledge in my head I do today.

I've been an atheist online since 01, where I got most my current knowledge, found atheist books to read. But I was an atheist since 94/95.

Terms you should know.

Problem with infinite regress
Fallacy of Pascal's Wager
Circular reasoning, "using a holy book to prove a holy book"
Ocham's Razor

Books you should read, short list and by no means complete.

"The God Delusion" Richard Dawkins
"God Is Not Great" Christopher Hitchens
"The New Atheism" Victor Stinger
"The End Of Faith" Sam Harris
"Letter To A Christian Nation" Sam Harris
"Infidel" Ayaan Hersi Ali

Useful websites.

This one.

http://www.atheistforums.org the other "Atheist Forms"
http://www.positiveatheism.com
http://www.rationalresponders.com
http://www.atheists.org
http://www.atheistalliance.org
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

Oh, when I said that it didn't make sense, I wasn't just waving it off or anything. I've been constantly looking at new arguments and whatever information I can find(mostly youtube arguments, but also some articles and such). I've never heard of infinite regress or ocham's razor, I'll have to look those up! The whole bible proves the bible thing is one of the first things I really looked into when I started to turn Atheist. Hm, I definitely remember some video or article on Pascal's wager, but I'll have to go back on it again. I can't remember.

I'm actually reading "The God Delusion" already. I just got it a few days ago. I was planning to go onto the Hitchens book next, since these two are the ones I see brought up over and over, so I should probably check them out haha. I'll definitely give those others a look see as well.

Thanks, Brian! I really wasn't expecting to get so much information out of a first post. I appreciate it.

Mister Agenda

Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Wyatt"
Quote from: "the_antithesis"Wyatt, what?
You mean, last name? Or..?

A lame joke that doesn't work, obviously. In retrospect, I should have gone with the worse but more effective "Earp" joke.