News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New to site

Started by slush33, July 11, 2013, 04:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slush33

Hi--I an decidedly long of tooth and have been an atheist so long I can't remember when I became one--probably in my 20s.

I was tickled to find this site. I've been monitoring a site that the main function seemed to be name-calling and course language. I'm no stranger to, ahhh... colorful language but there seemed to be a contest to see who could be most foul. Not productive.

I'm of the school that believes we should not attack religionists. An attack is sure to generate an enemy and we have enough of those just by being who we are. Of course we disagree and argue but in a civil manner. Remember, we have reason on our side.

Plu

Welcome aboard. If you think the site isn't productive, what made you sign up anyway? :)

Brian37

Quote from: "slush33"Hi--I an decidedly long of tooth and have been an atheist so long I can't remember when I became one--probably in my 20s.

I was tickled to find this site. I've been monitoring a site that the main function seemed to be name-calling and course language. I'm no stranger to, ahhh... colorful language but there seemed to be a contest to see who could be most foul. Not productive.

I'm of the school that believes we should not attack religionists. An attack is sure to generate an enemy and we have enough of those just by being who we are. Of course we disagree and argue but in a civil manner. Remember, we have reason on our side.

If I think something is "bullshit" ask anyone here if I will use that word.

To me it isn't a matter of forced civility, but an issue of comfort level for the individual. If you like the library, then talk to library type people. If you don't mind the verbal boxing ring, then jump in. Neither to me are wrong, just a matter of comfort level.

When I hear the word "productive" what I often see is the person is actually saying "do it my way are you are not doing it right".

Blasphemy and ridicule and even cussing are not crimes. I find the real crime is when people demand submission and set up taboos even to the point of getting violent about it.

You can ask me once to do something, ON ANY ISSUE, not just use of language. But if it is not your post or thread or website, then all you can do is appeal to the admins. And if they chose to do something or nothing, then it is on them. You can only ask and appeal, but you cannot control others.

Say you are physically in my house, and I smoke, and you don't, you can ask, but if I refuse to stop smoking, you can leave. If you come back knowing I smoke in my own house then you have no right to complain.

So, with me just to warn you ahead of time. I don't mince words. If you chose to respond to me, you already know what you are in for. If you don't like it, that is fine too, just don't read or respond to my posts. You can control yourself not others.

You will also find many different types here, just because we share the word "atheist" does not mean we have the same personalities or like the same things.

I usually quip with a standard sarcasm making fun of theists stupid stereotypes of being evil kitten barbecuers, but when I run into posts like this, I warn people not to expect a utopia here where we always sing kumbia.

Welcome, just be yourself, and if you don't like what someone says or how they say it, you have the choice in the future to respond or not respond. We really are all individuals.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

aitm

But there is a contest for coarse language...... I just forget who was keeping score..

welcome anyway.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

GSOgymrat

Welcome! I'm new here too.