Atheists The Most Feared Group In America (?)

Started by stromboli, July 10, 2013, 01:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surly74

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "surly74"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Truth is the most potent weapon. That's why theists fear us.

they fear truth? or they have a different version of it?

Well of course they have their own version. It goes without saying. But their leaders always fear that we will put a dent on their truth and consequently draw their members away. So it is always imperative for the leadership, be it the minister, the pope, or the slew of apologists, to guard against such a possible hemorrhage.

the reason i asked that question is because to me, the two contradict each other. if they have their own version of the truth and really believe it then they need not worry about what atheists think...hence they don't fear our truth. I don't even know what truth is. facts are one thing, truth is another.

to me, the "they fear the truth" is the same as George Bush saying terrorists hate America because they hate freedom. If you said facts are the most potent weapon then i would agree but not truth.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Plu

They fear our truth because it produces results, and theirs does not.

Though mostly, I think they fear letting go. For most people it's really hard to let go of something they've spent a lot of time on, because it means having to admit that it was wrong and your time was wasted. Most people would rather seek excuses to stop themselves from having to admit their time was wasted (while constantly wasting more time) over accepting their loss and moving on.

It's a psychological principle that's happily abused by many companies, not just in the religious and psychic nonsense sector, but also amongst those who deal in other addictions ( like certain brands of games like the MMO and facebook type, which thrive on making people think they've accomplished something and work on their fear of admitting to themselves that we've just been wasting their time since the start.)

Not many people hear "forget everything you've been living for the last 20/30 years, it's all bull. And get ready to start learning everything again from scratch! Only this time, everything is way more complicated." and then think "jolly good idea!".

surly74

Quote from: "Plu"They fear our truth because it produces results, and theirs does not.

Though mostly, I think they fear letting go. For most people it's really hard to let go of something they've spent a lot of time on, because it means having to admit that it was wrong and your time was wasted. Most people would rather seek excuses to stop themselves from having to admit their time was wasted (while constantly wasting more time) over accepting their loss and moving on.

It's a psychological principle that's happily abused by many companies, not just in the religious and psychic nonsense sector, but also amongst those who deal in other addictions ( like certain brands of games like the MMO and facebook type, which thrive on making people think they've accomplished something and work on their fear of admitting to themselves that we've just been wasting their time since the start.)

Not many people hear "forget everything you've been living for the last 20/30 years, it's all bull. And get ready to start learning everything again from scratch! Only this time, everything is way more complicated." and then think "jolly good idea!".

i've heard enough stories about prayer and people who think it works. on the other hand my parents have been going to the same church now for 30 years and I know neither of them believe. my father comes from a mennonite family and it's more to keep up appearances. I was joking with my mother and we both wondered if the entire family did that, no one actually believed anymore but still went to make it look like they do...they could all just sleep in on Sundays.

I do agree with the letting go. For me the hardest part would have to be people that you trusted lied to you.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

SGOS

Quote from: "surly74"my parents have been going to the same church now for 30 years and I know neither of them believe. my father comes from a mennonite family and it's more to keep up appearances. I was joking with my mother and we both wondered if the entire family did that, no one actually believed anymore but still went to make it look like they do...they could all just sleep in on Sundays.

Well, it's step in the right direction.  I tend to cut people some slack when they aren't just blowing smoke up their own asses.  For some reason, strange behavior is more acceptable to me when people understand what they are doing to some extent. :-D

surly74

i've seen my father quietly fight over this. they (parents) used to live in a small town where it would be noticed if you weren't there on Sundays. I haven't live in that town for 20 plus years, been closer to 30 years that I haven't got to a church service and still have people say to me...why don't you come back some sunday.

speaking with my mother the biggest hurdle to my father giving up religion completely is that his mother died young and one of the things he has held on to is the chance to see her in heaven again. she died just after I was born and he was only 20 (mennonites got married and had kids at a young age...at least to me).  his father passed away 20 years ago and i don't think if affected him much...but his mother was a different story.

but that's religion in a nut shell and he's realizing it...be told exactly what you want to hear regardless of it's reality.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Brian37

Now to these idiots who needlessly fear atheists, they would be horrified at what Jefferson, a deist would have to say about religion and atheists.

"Preachers dread the advance of science like witches fear daylight"

"whence therefore arises the morality of the atheist? It is idol to say, as some do, that no such thing exists".

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god, for if there be one surely he would pay more homage to reason than to that of blindfolded fear"

The theists SHOULD fear us, but not for the reasons they think. They should like anyone who once believed the earth was flat should fear their own credulity and willful ignorance.

But in no way should a theist fear us as wanting fascism. It is utter bullshit to assume because someone is an atheist, to say that they cannot value pluralism and human rights. It is also bullshit to assume because someone is godless that they are evil or not to be trusted.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "surly74"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "surly74"they fear truth? or they have a different version of it?

Well of course they have their own version. It goes without saying. But their leaders always fear that we will put a dent on their truth and consequently draw their members away. So it is always imperative for the leadership, be it the minister, the pope, or the slew of apologists, to guard against such a possible hemorrhage.

the reason i asked that question is because to me, the two contradict each other. if they have their own version of the truth and really believe it then they need not worry about what atheists think...hence they don't fear our truth. I don't even know what truth is. facts are one thing, truth is another.

to me, the "they fear the truth" is the same as George Bush saying terrorists hate America because they hate freedom. If you said facts are the most potent weapon then i would agree but not truth.

It's undeniable that facts are important. But it doesn't end there. If you look at science for instance, we also have hypothesis and theory to expain the data. We also do that in our private life. When we observe the facts, we often interpret those facts. Now whether we do a good job at this is another question. So when I use the word "truth", I'm talking not only about the facts, but the interpretation of those facts. Example: a christian reads the bible and concludes that it's true. I read the bible, and conclude it's nonsense. We both look at the same facts, but came out with different interpretations.

Brian37

Quote from: "Plu"They fear our truth because it produces results, and theirs does not.

Thats it, throughout our species evolution, we fear change. Once we get used to a perception that creates social order and stability, even if that perception is false, the structure it provides is hard to let go of.

Just like men used to fear women voting. Just like white men used to fear blacks using the same water fountains. Stupid crap certainly. But since we are a social species, we can and do often center our socializing around very bad guesses.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Plu

Myeah. Often I consider it scary that people can't let go of stuff that's obviously wrong. Other day I consider it scary that I can drop just about anything without thinking twice. Both have their own way of being scary.

GSOgymrat

I can understand why theists would consider atheism frightening. Rejecting the perspective of the dominant group often makes individuals appear untrustworthy and atheism indicates what a person doesn't believe and leaves to the imagination what he or she actually does believe, which could be any number of ungodly things.

Colanth

Quote from: "GSOgymrat"I can understand why theists would consider atheism frightening. Rejecting the perspective of the dominant group often makes individuals appear untrustworthy and atheism indicates what a person doesn't believe and leaves to the imagination what he or she actually does believe, which could be any number of ungodly things.
We don't believe in gods but, like theists, we believe and disbelieve in many things.  How many Christians or Jews believe that it's okay to sell your daughter into slavery?  You don't have to be an atheist to see how wrong that is.  They;re afraid, mainly, because not believing in ANY supernatural being is beyond their comprehension and, like all children, it's not knowing that frightens them.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Jmpty

Sheep don't know that they're sheep, they only know that they are afraid, and only find solace in the flock.
???  ??

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Jmpty"Sheep don't know that they're sheep, they only know that they are afraid, and only find solace in the flock.

Prove it.

:-D

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Solitary"Oh what the hell does Jesus know? :roll:  Just kidding! Good point! Most people think intelligence is how much you know. I agree with Einstein: "Intelligence is what is left after you have forgotten everything you have learned." This is the very reason he would never take an IQ test. Look how many Republican candidates that ran who are well educated and have even gone to more than one college and say the dumbest things---"Drill baby drill!"  Or that are Republicans:

10. Chuck Winder (R-ID): "I would hope that when a woman goes in to a physician with a rape issue, that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage or was it truly caused by a rape. I assume that's part of the counseling that goes on." - March 2012

9. Rick Santorum: "I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created — in the sense of rape — but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you... rape victims should make the best of a bad situation." - January, 2012

8. Mitt Romney: "I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love." – January 2012

7. Mitt Romney: "I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there." — January 2012

6. Roger Rivard (R-WI): "Some girls rape easy." – October 2012

5. Mitt Romney: "I went to a number of women's groups and said 'Can you help us find folks?' and they brought us whole binders full of women." —October, 2012

4. Richard Mourdock (R-IN): "I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen." – October 2012

3. Todd Akin (R-MO): "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways of shutting that whole thing down" - mid 2012 Senate Campaign

2. Mitt Romney: "As president, I will create 12 million new jobs." —Second presidential debate

1. Mitt Romney: "Government does not create jobs. Government does not create jobs." — 45 minutes later (Oct. 16, 2012)

Honorable Mention:
I cannot drop this subject without giving honorable mention to one of my favorite Romney quotes of 2012:

Mitt Romney: Mocking a group of NASCAR fans wearing plastic ponchos, "I like those fancy raincoats you bought. Really sprung for the big bucks."

rollin:  Solitary

:rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

aitm

The reason is far simpler than many suggest, imo. When you tell everyone and their dog that you believe in something, even if in the back of your mind you understand it to be a mite on the bull-shit side, it would be real embarrassing for you to find out you have been made an idiot. Now take an entire country, and show them how stupid they are? Meh. Its all about being embarrassed about being wrong and not being able to prove you're right. They have justification right now only by numbers, its a battle you can fight with education and reason, but as you have seen trying it by force is a long battle.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust