News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

2 dimensional materials

Started by Jutter, July 08, 2013, 06:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jutter

Fuck transparent aluminum. Have you read about this stuff yet? It started with someone stripping layers off a piece of graphite with scotch-tape untill there was just one molecule-layer left, and it may take some twenty years before this can start making an industrial impact, but it may supply us with materials that are superior in several ways (strength, isolation, conduction) while being as thin as thin gets. Promising stuff.

links
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

AllPurposeAtheist

To expensive. Scotch tape cost to much..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Aupmanyav

Humans are so intelligent, but they do not understand or forget nature.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Solitary

If you want to see a one sided object, or two sided if you are pedantic: Take a narrow strip of paper and give it a twist and glue the ends together. It's called a Mobius strip and has only one side. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mister Agenda

So...Moore's Law continues a while longer?
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Jutter

Not sure if this is going over people's heads, but this very very promising stuff... well beyond what Gene Roddenbery dreamed up. Meanwhile the 3-d printer is well on it's way to becoming Star Trek's replicator in every imaginable way. Print your own pizza folks.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Colanth

Quote from: "Jutter"Meanwhile the 3-d printer is well on it's way to becoming Star Trek's replicator in every imaginable way.
Not quite.  The replicator created matter itself out of its "fuelstock".  You didn't need a load of cheese to make a pizza.  A 3D printer could make a pretty good looking plastic pizza, but it can't make cheese out of plastic.  (Although some of what they call "cheese" in the supermarket might be made of plastic,)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.