Were Adam and Eve ever even married?

Started by Voskhod, July 07, 2013, 07:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApostateLois

I'm sure the story of Adam and Eve was entertaining 5000 years ago, and people actually believed it because they didn't know better, but why does anyone believe it now? It's just so impossible and dumb and childish. I wonder how many Christians secretly think it's the stupidest story ever, but don't dare say so because they fear the consequences both from their church and from God.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "ApostateLois"I'm sure the story of Adam and Eve was entertaining 5000 years ago, and people actually believed it because they didn't know better, but why does anyone believe it now? It's just so impossible and dumb and childish. I wonder how many Christians secretly think it's the stupidest story ever, but don't dare say so because they fear the consequences both from their church and from God.
Growing up, when I used to be taken to church as a kid I liked all those stories, Adam and Eve, Noah and the Ark... I NEVER realized until I became a bit older and met some of the people I know today that people genuinely believe that that stuff ACTUALLY happened...  :Hangman:

I guess you learn something every day...

Colanth

Quote from: "ApostateLois"I wonder how many Christians secretly think it's the stupidest story ever, but don't dare say so because they fear the consequences both from their church and from God.
So you'd be surprised to find out how many people actually believe "God said it, I believe it and that settles it"?  I live in a city full of them.  Utter stupidity no longer surprises me.  It no longer even saddens me.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

PilatesQuestion

Could someone refresh my memory of where humanity's ancestor came from, according to Darwinism? Thanks! :-D

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "PilatesQuestion"Could someone refresh my memory of where humanity's ancestor came from, according to Darwinism? Thanks! :-D
Well, the single individual from whom all of humanity descends is a pre-historic fish. Since evolution takes place in groups, the common ancestor to an entire species is rarely going to be from a recent branch. (Mitochondrial Eve isn't quite the same thing; you have ancestors besides her who are not common to the rest of humanity, whereas the aforementioned fish is where the family tree stops before branching out in reverse to its ancestors.) If you're talking about the ancestor species to humans, it's an earlier species of homo sapiens. If you want the ancestor species to homo sapiens, it's the group of apes who had two of their chromosomes fuse into what is now our #2 chromosome. At this point, tracing back further is just a matter of following a phylogeny chart as far as science has been able to map it out, with each successive division marking out a new trait that defines the differences between two branches, however great or small, ancient or recent they may be.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "PilatesQuestion"Could someone refresh my memory of where humanity's ancestor came from, according to Darwinism? Thanks! :-D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo

also:

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Well, the single individual from whom all of humanity descends is a pre-historic fish. Since evolution takes place in groups, the common ancestor to an entire species is rarely going to be from a recent branch. (Mitochondrial Eve isn't quite the same thing; you have ancestors besides her who are not common to the rest of humanity, whereas the aforementioned fish is where the family tree stops before branching out in reverse to its ancestors.) If you're talking about the ancestor species to humans, it's an earlier species of homo sapiens. If you want the ancestor species to homo sapiens, it's the group of apes who had two of their chromosomes fuse into what is now our #2 chromosome. At this point, tracing back further is just a matter of following a phylogeny chart as far as science has been able to map it out, with each successive division marking out a new trait that defines the differences between two branches, however great or small, ancient or recent they may be.

Science. It works.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

PilatesQuestion

So how did the first Homo figure out how to reproduce?

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "PilatesQuestion"So how did the first Homo figure out how to reproduce?

Is that a serious question?

Clarify what you mean. Bearing in the mind the internet is right here for you to examine your own questions.

PilatesQuestion

Yes, I'm serious. Did the first homo evolve from a rock by itself or did two (presumably a male and a female) evolve together?
BTW, how did evolution figure out how to create a reproductive system? Why males and females? Why not one gender that can produce offspring asexually or something?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "PilatesQuestion"So how did the first Homo figure out how to reproduce?
Reproduction predates every life form we have a name for; mainly because single-celled organisms aren't well-known for their tendency to leave fossils.

Hijiri Byakuren

And you ninja'd me.
Quote from: "PilatesQuestion"Why males and females? Why not one gender that can produce offspring asexually or something?
It did. Many single-celled organisms reproduce this way. Whiptail lizards also regained this trait relatively recently.

PilatesQuestion

So why don't we all asexually reproduce?

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "PilatesQuestion"Yes, I'm serious. Did the first homo evolve from a rock by itself or did two (presumably a male and a female) evolve together?
BTW, how did evolution figure out how to create a reproductive system? Why males and females? Why not one gender that can produce offspring asexually or something?

Evolution is not instantaneous change. You don't fall asleep a bat and wake up a giraffe. It's a process that continues over and over for millions and millions of years.

We, as a species, are evolving right now, our bodies changing and adapting to a constantly adapting and changing environment.

'Evolution' does not 'figure' things out. 'It' produces the best adaptions possible in a given context for a species at a given times. Time and space are fluid, and as such, is constantly changing. Species need to do the same, or face the consequences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution ... production

The internet. Use it.

PilatesQuestion

I'm just posing a philosophical question as to why male and female creatures exist as opposed to only one gender.

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "PilatesQuestion"I'm just posing a philosophical question as to why male and female creatures exist as opposed to only one gender.

That's precisely the opposite of what you're doing and you know it.

Stop being disingenuous. You asked a question, there's plenty of research out there in layman format to give you a basic grasp of what it is you're seeking to understand (or not).