Were Adam and Eve ever even married?

Started by Voskhod, July 07, 2013, 07:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voskhod

I think I just...I may be onto something here.
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

Gawdzilla Sama

The bond was closer than that. Eve was Adam's clone.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Voskhod

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"The bond was closer than that. Eve was Adam's clone.

In that case, both Adam and Eve had the same genetic makeup - meaning they both had XY sex Chromosomes, since Adam came first.
So the first couple ever made was actually between a man and a transvestite, both of whom were never married to each other in the first place, and gave birth to the human race through decades of constant incest-sex with their own children?

Gosh, the Bible can be so fun when you deconstruct it...
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"The bond was closer than that. Eve was Adam's clone.
Yea, but we have to look at it a bit closer than cloning.

A marriage is a union of two people. Since Eve was created as a female counterpart to Adam, that makes her his other half.

It was a separation. They were not only not married, but, they were divorced.

Oh snap, Adam and Eve are going to Hell and Yahweh is joining them for being a part of it.

Let us pray....

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Voskhod"

In that case, both Adam and Eve had the same genetic makeup - meaning they both had XY sex Chromosomes, since Adam came first.
So the first couple ever made was actually between a man and a transvestite, both of whom were never married to each other in the first place, and gave birth to the human race through decades of constant incest-sex with their own children?

Gosh, the Bible can be so fun when you deconstruct it...
Transgendered, not transvestite. I mean, they did wear the same fig leaves, but that's just because the laundry hadn't come back.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: "Voskhod"I think I just...I may be onto something here.
*gasp*

THAT WHORE!
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

That's it! Next time I see some...some...'W O M A N' eating fresh fruit I'm stoning that whore to death. It was a woman eating fresh fruit who made all evil in the world...right? Then she covered her nakedness! That WHORE!
Note: just expanding on Mermaid's whore reference..I'm really not against women, just whores who like fresh fruit. :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

"YOU HAD ONE JOB EVE! TO NOT EAT THE FRUIT!"

stromboli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

QuoteMitochondrial Eve is named after mitochondria and the biblical Eve.[2] Unlike her biblical namesake, she was not the only living human female of her time. However, her female contemporaries failed to produce a direct unbroken female line to any living woman in the present day.
Mitochondrial Eve is estimated to have lived approximately 200,000 years ago,[3] most likely in East Africa,[4] when Homo sapiens sapiens (anatomically modern humans) were developing as a population distinct from other human sub-species.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-chromosomal_Adam

QuoteA paper published in March 2013 determined that, with 95% confidence and that provided there are no systematic errors in the study's data, Y-chromosomal Adam lived between 237,000 and 581,000 years ago.[2] Earlier studies have estimated the date for Y-MRCA as between 60,000[3] and 142,000 years ago.[4]
Analogous to Y-chromosomal Adam, Mitochondrial Eve is the woman from whom all living humans are descended matrilineally. The inherited DNA in the female case is her mtDNA, rather than his nuclear Y chromosome. There is no reason to suggest that Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve should have lived at the same time[5] and Mitochondrial Eve is estimated to have lived approximately 200,000 years ago.

And we've been like blaming shit on women because of the Garden of Eden for generations, when in fact Adam and Eve never met. Talk about misogynistic beliefs.

stromboli

Were biblical Adam and Eve married? In the Mormon religion yes, because the priesthoods and lineages all begin with Adam. The fig leaf apron representing the covering of our privates is endemic in the temple endowment ceremony. A spiritual marriage is a requirement to be in the Celestial kingdom, otherwise they would not qualify as patriarch and matriarch.

I believe every religion assumes that they were married, because they are venerated for the most part.

Solitary

How would anyone know that Adam and Even existed? Just like people that see Christ or the Virgin Mary in a random stain on a tree trunk. Was there anyone that actually saw them? I asked my mother about how anyone knew about Adam and Eve if there wasn't anyone else when I was six years old. She told me there was a special place in hell for any boy that asks such dumb questions.  :shock:   :roll:  Solitary

how do they know what they looked like?
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "PickelledEggs""YOU HAD ONE JOB EVE! TO NOT EAT THE FRUIT!"
She got a better one after that.  8-)
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Then she covered her nakedness! That WHORE!
So she's not only a round-heeled temptress, but she's also a cock tease as well. Well I *never*.

WTF kind of a woman WAS this Eve anyway?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gerard

Eve was created the wife of Adam. A ceremony was not necessary because she was created married to him already..... One also wonders who may have been available to perform that ceremony, since there were only two people around in the first place.

Quote2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

I should take up Christian apologetics.... It's not hard because it doesn't have to make all that much sense!  :twisted:

The marriage solemnization from the Common Book of Prayer:

QuoteDEARLY beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this congregation, to join together this Man and this Woman in holy Matrimony; which is an honourable estate, instituted of God in the time of man's innocency, signifying unto us the mystical union that is betwixt Christ and his Church; which holy estate Christ adorned and beautified with his presence, and first miracle that he wrought, in Cana of Galilee

One wonders when he actually instituted that. Can't find it in the Bible, unless he did so BY creating Eve as being already the wife of Adam.

More modern CoE solemnizations mention that:

QuoteMarriage is a gift of God in creation

Now Adam lived to be a whopping 8 or 9 centuries according to Scripture. Noah must have known him when he was a young 200 year old. Think of it! Those family gatherings would have needed an Ark sized venue! I can't remember how old Eve became, but Adam could have taken her to a registrars office after the fall to make an honest woman out of her....

The Scriptural basis seems weak however.....

Gerard

Colanth

Quote from: "Mermaid"WTF kind of a woman WAS this Eve anyway?
The best kind (or the worst, depending on how delusional you are) - an imaginary one.  (Of course your husband and I don't come anywhere near that level of delusion.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.