Are young earth creationists self-aware?

Started by Voskhod, July 06, 2013, 08:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

It pains me to say this: "But I love them because they speak from the heart."  They have an unnatural ability to lie to themselves thinking they have knowledge when all they have is ignorance. They love us and want us to believe like they do so we don't burn in hell, even when they tell us to go to hell with all their love. When you believe in nonsense you can believe and say anything even when it makes no sense. :shock:  :(  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Solitary"It pains me to say this: "But I love them because they speak from the heart."  They have an unnatural ability to lie to themselves thinking they have knowledge when all they have is ignorance. They love us and want us to believe like they do so we don't burn in hell, even when they tell us to go to hell with all their love. When you believe in nonsense you can believe and say anything even when it makes no sense. :shock:  :(  Solitary
I have thought about that too.

I think they actually do think they love us. They are just blinded by thier own faith. It is really quite sad.

Sort of like when a dad beats his daughter and the daughter grows up to think that a man doesn't love her if she doesn't get hit by her husband. It's really upsetting...  :-k  :(  :(  :(  I really don't like violence... :(

Solitary

I'm with you on that, I hate real life violence, which is the reason I have PTSD. I'm still crazier even if I see a woman get raped in just a movie. It took me years to even watch a beheading in a movie. And what is really weird is it was years before I could see a "red" sunset without anxiety. I'm better now than I was in my whole life with treatment finally.  :)  Solitary

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Solitary"I'm with you on that, I hate real life violence, which is the reason I have PTSD. I'm still crazier even if I see a woman get raped in just a movie. It took me years to even watch a beheading in a movie. And what is really weird is it was years before I could see a "red" sunset without anxiety. I'm better now than I was in my whole life with treatment finally.  :)  Solitary
Oh wow. I'm glad to see you are doing better.  :)
Were you in the army?

I'm good with things like Call of Duty, but I would never be able to handle being in battle in real life. Any games or movies with a lot of gore, or horror, I can't deal with. Even if it is a ghost movie or some other paranormal movie, I know it isn't real, but the me in my dreams don't. Nightmares can be even worse if whatever happened in the horror flick can actually happen.

Solitary

I could tell you but then I'd have to extirpate you with extreme prejudice from the face of the earth.  :shock:  I was a civilian contractor. Dammed! Now I do have to kill you.  :lol:  Just kidding---"I will fight no more forever." Solitary

mykcob4

Quote from: "Voskhod"By that I mean, are they even aware of the things they say? Do they, or can they, even comprehend the immense number of ways that they contradict themselves every time they utter a single sentence?
This is something I've had much, MUCH trouble with throughout my observation of religious folk - those certain people who, in true Orwellian 1984 Doublethink fashion, say one thing, and then immediately afterwards say something that blatantly contradicts their first statement, and not even realizing there's a problem.

I've been damn-well baffled by this throughout practically my entire life, so perhaps some of you folk can shed some light on this?
The problem with the religious, especially the christians is that they are much like a child that loses an argument. They just become stuborn and illogical. They don't care that are wrong, have been proven wrong. They only care that they win. Conservatives, christians, religious goofballs, are all a bunch of 3 year olds holding tightly to the terrible twos!

Mermaid

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"They're in a state of "God bliss", I think. They don't care if you don't agree with them, because they have a direct pipeline to God. Appalling arrogance is standard.
There have actually been studies of the brains of people who have this kind of religion. They are firing on the same cylinders as people who take hallucinogenic drugs. It's probably been discussed here, but I think it's hilariously ironic that religious belief has a tangible, credible and repeatable biological root.

http://www.nairaland.com/966310/religio ... d-chemical
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =110997741
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

DerpinDots

QuoteEvolution (the first 5) is the dumbest and most dangerous idea in the world! Evolution theory leads straight to Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, abortion, communism, Marxism, regection of logic and Hell if you dont trust Christ!
Yup. I mean the evidence is RIGHT THERE! Hitler and the Nazis were in power in the 1940s. Which occurred AFTER evolution was thought up! Ergo Communism.
(Is.. is I x-tain logicing rite? It hurts my brain to think like this  :Hangman:)

Hydra009

Quote from: "DerpinDots"Yup. I mean the evidence is RIGHT THERE! Hitler and the Nazis were in power in the 1940s. Which occurred AFTER evolution was thought up! Ergo Communism.
(Is.. is I x-tain logicing rite? It hurts my brain to think like this  :Hangman:)
Yep.  If you want to make an idea bad (and therefore wrong), just associate it with other bad things.

It helps to know that your conclusion is correct right out of the gate, allowing you to focus on finding ways for prove evolution to be bad/wrong and Christian creationism right by default.

A few great arguments to make your case:
1) Science can't explain everything, therefore God
2) Evolution is atheism
3) Either God did it or it did itself (the second option is supposed to come across as more preposterous than the first), therefore creationism is correct
4) Piltdown Man therefore evolution is wrong, therefore creationism is correct
5) Teach the controversy
6) Were you there?

Armada

I tried pointing out the contradictions to people but the answer was, "You have to have faith."

Though I must say, I did spend a few month talking to a Jahova's Whitness and he almost cried by the end of it. He started seeing through all the BS and couldn't handle it. I think there might be hope, but only for people with an abillity to do such complicated tasks as adding 2 and 2 without getting distracted by the all nighty unicorn.
Babies go well with red wine

Voskhod

Quote from: "Armada"I tried pointing out the contradictions to people but the answer was, "You have to have faith."

Though I must say, I did spend a few month talking to a Jahova's Whitness and he almost cried by the end of it. He started seeing through all the BS and couldn't handle it. I think there might be hope, but only for people with an abillity to do such complicated tasks as adding 2 and 2 without getting distracted by the all nighty unicorn.

I'd like to hear more about this Jehovah's Witness story.  :popcorn:
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

Armada

Quote from: "Voskhod"
Quote from: "Armada"I tried pointing out the contradictions to people but the answer was, "You have to have faith."

I'd like to hear more about this Jehovah's Witness story.  :popcorn:

He came one day, trying to convert. I said, "what the hell, this might be fun." So he brought me a bible and started showing up once a week for an hour. I went a head and did my homework, meeting him with a throroughly highlighted NT (didn't have enuough time to go over the old one.)

The more he talked to me and my husband, the more he started doubting his believes. The problem was, his whole family, all of his friends and his wife-to-be were all Jahovas Witnesses. If he were to leave his religion, he would've lost them all. As far as I know, he still goes to church and all that, but I don't know if he actually believes. This all happened over a year ago and I haven't seen much of him since.
Babies go well with red wine

Solitary

When I was first married I had a young man Witness come to my door with a young Mexican boy. I let him and a we talked for about two hours with the understanding he would listen to my arguments. When he went out to the car my wife was driving up. He took off his white color and threw it into the car while the little boy stood in shock, while the pastor told him, "He is right, this is all fairy tails."  She told me when she came in wondering what happened. It was the once and only time in my life I've converted a believer into a non believer. I've always wondered what happened to the little boy after. Solitary

Thumpalumpacus

I don't think that such issues of mental incongruence are unique to YECs, or any other shade of belief ... or non-belief.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Seabear

YECs and Xtians have been indoctrinated not only to have glaring mental incongruities, but that these mental blind spots are okay, and in fact, are a badge of honor and faith.

Don't fault them too much; they are the products of a system of mental indoctrination that has had 1500 years to perfect it's techniques. Irrationality is first created, then defended by the system of faith-based beliefs.
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson