Are young earth creationists self-aware?

Started by Voskhod, July 06, 2013, 08:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voskhod

By that I mean, are they even aware of the things they say? Do they, or can they, even comprehend the immense number of ways that they contradict themselves every time they utter a single sentence?
This is something I've had much, MUCH trouble with throughout my observation of religious folk - those certain people who, in true Orwellian 1984 Doublethink fashion, say one thing, and then immediately afterwards say something that blatantly contradicts their first statement, and not even realizing there's a problem.

I've been damn-well baffled by this throughout practically my entire life, so perhaps some of you folk can shed some light on this?
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

Gawdzilla Sama

They're in a state of "God bliss", I think. They don't care if you don't agree with them, because they have a direct pipeline to God. Appalling arrogance is standard.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Aroura33

No, they are clearly not aware of their contradictory thoughts and beliefs, or they would not be able to keep them it is some form of compartmentalized thinking.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

stromboli

Another example of fitting the "evidence" to the assumption. The earth is 6,000 years old, therefore the scientific proof that contradicts that is wrong.

Poison Tree

It is hard to try and understand the mind of an YEC if you have never been one--hell, it is even hard for me and I was one.
You have to realize that they don't really think about it--why wast time thinking when you already know the TRUTH.
It is drilled into them, from an early age, that they already know the Truth and that it is so obvious that that no effort is needed to prove it--god said it, i believe it, that settles it.
They are given a list words to throw out which they don't understand, have no context for and usually can't remember--piltdown man, flood geology, Cambrian explosion, no transitional forms, that's just micro-evolution, mutations are always bad, no new information, code needs code-maker.
They are taught that there is no distinction between their YEC and morality (or god, for that matter)--if children are taught they came from animals then they will act like animals.

After a few decades of this mindset it is nearly impossible to break out. They spend time in church--and often church run schools--not only having these views reenforced, but so surrounded only by people who also have these views that there is actually no need to spend much time actively supporting them. Anyone who voices serious doubt is either quickly silenced or drummed out. Even if you manage to get one to stop and think and doubt, as soon as he/she runs back to the flock all that pesky thinking will subside and they can go back to their peacefully ignorance, grazing quietly, waiting to be fleeced.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

aitm

When someone WANTS to believe in something, no matter how batshit crazy, they WILL believe it. Period.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Voskhod

Quote from: "aitm"When someone WANTS to believe in something, no matter how batshit crazy, they WILL believe it. Period.

False. I would want to believe that after I die, some thinking, remembering part of me would persist on - reincarnated or subject to the eternal torment of hell or the eternal boredom of heaven.
However, I do not believe such things, no matter how much I want to.
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

Seabear

You underestimate the power of xtian indoctrination, especially when started at an early age. They've had over 1500 years to perfect their technique.
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jason78

Quote from: "Voskhod"I've been damn-well baffled by this throughout practically my entire life, so perhaps some of you folk can shed some light on this?

It's freaky.  But I think that a lot of them don't actually know they are lying.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

PickelledEggs

I came accross a young creationist on my friend's instagram he was harrassing her about being atheist. He has posts (on his instagram) that say things like
QuoteEvolution (the first 5) is the dumbest and most dangerous idea in the world! Evolution theory leads straight to Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, abortion, communism, Marxism, regection of logic and Hell if you dont trust Christ!

I only bolded the things in that text because it was bold in his. It's quite scary how extreme some of these kids can be. This kid is only probably 10 - 14. I can't imagine what he will be like when he grows up and his ego grows.

Hydra009

I love how creationists argue that evolution is BAD.  Pretty convincing stuff.  I mean, I used to believe that species evolve because of the many directly observed instances of speciation and countless inferred examples.  But yanno, it did influence Hilter, so obviously none of that speciation stuff ever happened.   :(

PickelledEggs

QuoteSo I don't think he could be categorsied as 'extreme'.
Yea, I wouldn't categorize it by the post / posts themselves. The reason I said he's extreme is because the amount of religious posts of him writing stuff like that, and (now with the new video feature) doing short videos of him preaching. Not to mention he tags atheism in his posts. He basically provokes hate on his acct and goes to other peoples and does it there too.

Those two guys are look really interesting. A bunch of my family origonally migrated to the U.S. from Turkey during the genocide that went on in the early 1900s.

Agramon

Quote from: "Poison Tree"It is hard to try and understand the mind of an YEC if you have never been one--hell, it is even hard for me and I was one.
You have to realize that they don't really think about it--why wast time thinking when you already know the TRUTH.
It is drilled into them, from an early age, that they already know the Truth and that it is so obvious that that no effort is needed to prove it--god said it, i believe it, that settles it.
They are given a list words to throw out which they don't understand, have no context for and usually can't remember--piltdown man, flood geology, Cambrian explosion, no transitional forms, that's just micro-evolution, mutations are always bad, no new information, code needs code-maker.
They are taught that there is no distinction between their YEC and morality (or god, for that matter)--if children are taught they came from animals then they will act like animals.

After a few decades of this mindset it is nearly impossible to break out. They spend time in church--and often church run schools--not only having these views reenforced, but so surrounded only by people who also have these views that there is actually no need to spend much time actively supporting them. Anyone who voices serious doubt is either quickly silenced or drummed out. Even if you manage to get one to stop and think and doubt, as soon as he/she runs back to the flock all that pesky thinking will subside and they can go back to their peacefully ignorance, grazing quietly, waiting to be fleeced.
As an ex-literal creationist, 100% this.
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

PickelledEggs

QuoteI thought he just posted a few things.
Yea... it's pretty much every post and he posts a few a day.

QuoteHugs. You're an Armenian? Which region they immigrated from? How many people did they lose from their family? How did they survive? :( If you don't mind me asking that is. Nice to hear from you.

My mom is full Assyrian. As of now it's a stateless nation ever since the Babalonians conquered them a few hundred years bc.

As for the specifics in terms of survival/loss/escape. I have no idea really. My mom said they never talked about it. I do know that some of my family came to the U.S. and some went to Egypt. I think some are still in Egypt, but I'm not sure. About 20 or so years ago my mom's aunt and cousin came from Egypt and now live in Georgia.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "Voskhod"I've been damn-well baffled by this throughout practically my entire life, so perhaps some of you folk can shed some light on this?

It's freaky.  But I think that a lot of them don't actually know they are lying.
Nor would they care if they knew.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers