New Theory on Why Men Love Breasts

Started by drunkenshoe, July 06, 2013, 12:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

http://www.livescience.com/23500-why-me ... easts.html

Quote...Recent studies have found that nipple stimulation enhances sexual arousal in the great majority of women, and it activates the same brain areas as vaginal and clitoral stimulation. When a sexual partner touches, massages or nibbles a woman's breasts, Young said, this triggers the release of oxytocin in the woman's brain, just like what happens when a baby nurses. But in this context, the oxytocin focuses the woman's attention on her sexual partner, strengthening her desire to bond with this person.

In other words, men can make themselves more desirable by stimulating a woman's breasts during foreplay and sex. Evolution has, in a sense, made men want to do this.

Attraction to breasts "is a brain organization effect that occurs in straight males when they go through puberty," Young told Life's Little Mysteries. "Evolution has selected for this brain organization in men that makes them attracted to the breasts in a sexual context, because the outcome is that it activates the female bonding circuit, making women feel more bonded with him. It's a behavior that males have evolved in order to stimulate the female's maternal bonding circuitry."

So, why did this evolutionary change happen in humans, and not in other breast-feeding mammals? Young thinks it's because we form monogamous relationships, whereas 97 percent of mammals do not. "Secondly, it might have to do with the fact that we are upright and have face-to-face sex, which provides more opportunity for nipple stimulation during sex. In monogamous voles, for example, the nipples are hanging toward the ground and the voles mate from behind, so this didn't evolve," he said. "So, maybe the nature of our sexuality has allowed greater access to the breasts.

Makes sense but also doesn't. How about lesbians? And in a couple of comments it's mentioned that there are many cultures which do not define breasts as sexual and that this obsession is a learned behaviour. I agree with that.

What say you?

the_antithesis

stromboli

Its very simple. When you are born they first make sure you are breathing, and then they hand you to mommy to see if you will accept her milk. 90% of the time, the first thing you receive that is nourishing and welcome after the trauma of birth comes from a woman's breast. And you spend the next several months of your life suckling on that sweet milk as well. Ain't difficult to understand.

Johan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Voskhod

Quote from: "stromboli"Its very simple. When you are born they first make sure you are breathing, and then they hand you to mommy to see if you will accept her milk. 90% of the time, the first thing you receive that is nourishing and welcome after the trauma of birth comes from a woman's breast. And you spend the next several months of your life suckling on that sweet milk as well. Ain't difficult to understand.

This theory, despite being pioneered by the ever popular Sigmund Freud, has been largely disproved - much like all his other theories.
If the theory were true, why aren't women attracted to breasts just as much as men are? They would have also been breast-fed.
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

Solitary

:-k   :-$   #-o   :-k  I don't know.  :-?  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: drunkenshoeWhat does picher mean? E: You mean pics? :roll:
Many Americans have this compulsive desire to purposefully butcher the English language while trying to be funny.

Edit: And why the heck did my quote break?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

QuoteLarry Young, a professor of psychiatry at Emory University who studies the neurological basis of complex social behaviors, thinks human evolution has harnessed an ancient neural circuit that originally evolved to strengthen the mother-infant bond during breast-feeding, and now uses this brain circuitry to strengthen the bond between couples as well. The result? Men, like babies, love breasts.

I didn't quote Freud, I pointed out the obvious. Breast appreciation is connected to breast feeding. It may be inherently chemical, but the relationship is still there.

(edit) oh, and by the way, I think if you check, you'll discover a lot of women are attracted to other women's breasts.
http://www.yourtango.com/2012158021/wei ... ify-ladies
QuoteA study shows that both genders tend to focus on women's body parts, not entire bodies.
You know how people say that men are ALWAYS objectifying women? Well, they are. However, women do it too. From their lips, nips and hips to their toe tips, a gal will eyeball a woman as collection of body parts nearly as readily as a man, per a new study published in Science Daily (originally in the European Journal of Social Psychology).

aitm

could it be that we tend to want things we ain't supposed to see? I don't know if the tribes where the women are constantly bare-breasted have such luck and I don't recall any such talk in any of the books I have read about the native American tribes having any breast fixation. Me thinks because we hide them and make them "special" that we want to have those puppies in our mouths and hands.....now shoe...bout those pics...cause you would be only doing it in the interest of science.....kinda.

:-"
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Brian37

Really, I get that science DOES figure out the biology of life. The laypersons explanation is simple.

THEY ARE FUN BAGS! Unless you are a gay man, but would include lesbians.

So for heterosexuals and lesbians and bis, breasts are fun because they are fun.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

AllPurposeAtheist

A. Soft, B. Just inches above belly which is inches above vagina C. Jiggle D. Make great pillows and places to cry
And science hasn't figured THAT OUT?  Plus Christianity.. well, religion in general is against breasts except in old paintings..  
C'mon science.. Get with the program.. :roll:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"What does picher mean?

Jason78

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"What say you?

Boobs are awesome.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Agramon

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Penis is awesome too. It's a no-no that we penis lovers express it loud around.

*Gasp! I said 'penis is awesome'. See what kind of a dirty whore I am?
Not really. Could you provide more evidence on this point? For science, I mean.
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers