Step 1: Find Hell, Step 2: Kill Satan

Started by Voskhod, July 04, 2013, 09:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voskhod

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 1366#comic

The above comic, humorous as it is, provoked some thoughts in my mind - Not actual contemplative thoughts, but rather one of those fun "what if" scenarios that are amusing to mull over.

If Hell existed in the boundaries of those defined within Dante's Inferno, ie: Existing beneath the Earth's surface most likely somewhere in the mantel, being filled with brimstone and fire, so on and so forth; I began to think, would we be able to literally invade, take over, or even destroy hell as science progresses as does our ability to manufacture ever-increasingly devastating soldiers and weapons?

I just can't stop giddily thinking about this random idea - Imagining a Colonel somewhere in the US army instructing and rallying the troops under his command with an inspiring speech about what they were about to, and then ending the long speech with:

So you see, my soldiers, we have been instructed to perform perhaps one of the most ambitious military operations known to man...
and by God we are going to make it HAPPEN!
Gentlemen...We are going to find hell and blow it to he-...itself! WHO'S WITH ME!?
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

Hydra009

I think it would irresponsible to invade a close ally and campaign donor.

Fidel_Castronaut

Also the pressure at even minor depths (the 'crust') beneath the earth would crush us flat, let alone into the mantle.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Jelly Penutbutter

Because the church then wouldn't have anyone to fear
-JP

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Jason78"Why can't Jesus just forgive Satan?
Why did an omniscient god create a being that he would know is going to revolt against him.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jason78

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"
Why did an omniscient god create a being that he would know is going to revolt against him.

For teh lulz.  

Obviously.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"

For teh lulz.  

Obviously.
I suspect a scam. Is God by any chance running The Truman Show large-scale?
PZ Myers

Broede

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"I suspect a scam. Is God by any chance running The Truman Show large-scale?

A scam?  Not so much.  I more imagine God and His Angels as a high school football team, creating the universe just so they can laugh at us killing each other, much like the jocks revel in beating up nerds or watching snakes eat mice.  Something akin to the YouTube kids who put spiders into bowls and dump ants on them to see who wins.  And it would explain where they get the impulses, being created in His Image, after all.

Plu

QuoteWhy did an omniscient god create a being that he would know is going to revolt against him.

He didn't just "know", he had to do program the guy to do it, because either
A) angels have no free will (an argument I've heard before)
or
B) satan would have to know that he couldn't possibly win.)

St Giordano Bruno

Why Satan? he has nothing on the weapons of mass distruction God has.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Broede

Quote from: "St Giordano Bruno"Why Satan? he has nothing on the weapons of mass distruction God has.

If anything, St. Lucifer's just a pawn in God's greater game of evil.  Poor guy's been scapegoated long enough, hasn't he?  I mean, if anything, shouldn't we be trying to find heaven and take down the real threat?  I wonder how long an army of subservient bird-people and lightning bolts could withstand a fully-realized nuke.

Voskhod

Quote from: "Broede"
Quote from: "St Giordano Bruno"Why Satan? he has nothing on the weapons of mass distruction God has.

If anything, St. Lucifer's just a pawn in God's greater game of evil.  Poor guy's been scapegoated long enough, hasn't he?  I mean, if anything, shouldn't we be trying to find heaven and take down the real threat?  I wonder how long an army of subservient bird-people and lightning bolts could withstand a fully-realized nuke.

Eh, considering the fact that Heaven is described as being some sort of alternate dimension, we'd have to wait a while before we invent trans-dimensional portal technology.
On the plus side, by the time we invent that kind of technology, we'd have things like Singularity bombs, particle projectors, Gauss flayers, plasma weapons, and possibly even Zero-point energy manipulators.

I'd genuinely want to see how the forces of Heaven would compete against such weapons. The battle would be glorious. Especially if Kratos is included in there.

(Also, I think this particular idea even has its own name: Rage against the heavens.)
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

Gawdzilla Sama

God lost the War in Heaven. Satan won and wrote the history.
PZ Myers