Do you restrict your consumption of media?

Started by SoldierofFortune, June 10, 2024, 08:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierofFortune

You know, there is a massive amount content, whether it be in the form of book, newspaper article, or YouTube video.

We must be selective, or you let yourself drift purposeless with the current. Put simply, the thing called surf on the internet, just steal our ever so precious time.

In a lifetime, you can read roughly about 3-5k books if you dedicate yourself.

But how can you choose among the alternatives?

The fact that we can read just very limited amounts of books in a lifetime, gives me existential anxiety.

Gawdzilla Sama

I've found that the shit goes down whether or not I'm watching it. C'est la vie.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

So much to read, so little time! 🤓

I spend about 12 hours a day on YouTube! I watch chess, science, math, history, philosophy and religion videos, along with a few other things, such as the Mark Thompson Show and movies.

I used to read a lot of books, but I just can't make time for reading anymore, I'm having too much fun enjoying something I never dreamed I'd be able to do. I  think I've probably read in the neighborhood of about 10,000 books so I figure I can spend time doing something different.
But I'm loving my life, and that's what's important to me. 😎
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 10, 2024, 09:13:16 AMSo much to read, so little time! 🤓

I spend about 12 hours a day on YouTube! I watch chess, science, math, history, philosophy and religion videos, along with a few other things, such as the Mark Thompson Show and movies.

I used to read a lot of books, but I just can't make time for reading anymore, I'm having too much fun enjoying something I never dreamed I'd be able to do. I  think I've probably read in the neighborhood of about 10,000 books so I figure I can spend time doing something different.
But I'm loving my life, and that's what's important to me. 😎

Thx for the reply.

Forgive my curiosity. What is it you are enjoying too much doing you never dreamed? Maybe me too can enjoy if you share what it is.

And what's special about Mark Thompson Show?

Unbeliever

I can watch anything I want to watch on YouTube, anytime I want to watch it. Before I retired I seldom even had access to television. That's why I read so many books, I needed the stimulation and entertainment.
The Mark Thompson Show used to be on KGO radio, until the station switched to all sports all the time. Now it's on YouTube every weekday morning and I like listening to it. Especially on Friday morning, when they do a segment called Friday Fabulous Florida. They highlight stupid stuff done by Floridians, both human and reptile (alligators 🐊).
God Not Found

Dark Lightning

I watch almost no TV or movies. My wife twisted my arm to see "First Man" when it came out, and "Robin Hood" before that. I despise going to the movies. I surf the net, and do wood working and woodcarving with a little copper smithing thrown in. I've had medical issues for the last 6 months that precluded these activities. Arthritis, and a cyst on my finger that prevented from using tools, unless I wanted to work through pain, which I don't have to do anymore. Cyst is gone, and the stitches are out; just a little more healing to go. I have something of a grip on it, and plan some wood carving soon.

I also read a lot, mostly scifi. I have math groupie books that I read and sometimes work on solutions and proofs. Just for pleasure, mind you.

Unbeliever

I was extremely afraid of mathematics for most of my life, until I read a few books about the history of mathematics. I'm still no good at it, but I enjoy watching YouTube videos by people who are good at it, such as Mathologer, Numberphile, and Stand Up Maths.
God Not Found

Dark Lightning

I love it. I waded through 34 units of math in the process of earning my Physics degree. And of course those Physics classes were all Math-intensive. I've forgotten most of it, after not using it for 40 years.

Gawdzilla Sama

I currently have ~3,000 books on WWII in my library. Read far more scifi than that. I would go through a Barsoom-themed paperback in a day.

Current non-book media is movies on cable and cop shows. (Last being "professional interest" stuff.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I had a buddy for many years who knew just about everything there is to know about WWII. He never missed a question about it on Jeopardy. He even taught himself German so he could read the German accounts about it.
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 10, 2024, 04:17:17 PMI had a buddy for many years who knew just about everything there is to know about WWII. He never missed a question about it on Jeopardy. He even taught himself German so he could read the German accounts about it.
Awesome. I knew when I was 7 that I'd join the USN someday, so I focused on the Pacific Theater. However, when Rise and Fall of the Third Reich came out in paperback I bought a copy immediately. I was in the fifth grade. Tough sledding for ten year old. But I finished it. Did my Master's thesis on "Selection of English Language words in the Translation of the Magic Intercepts Prior to Pearl Harbor." Co-authored with a guy at Tokyo University.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

My favorite thing about WWII is the Navajo code talkers. I still find them fascinating.
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

I spent my recuperation leave in 1972 on the Navajo Rez above Flagstaff. One of my wardmates invited me to come visit his people. He waited three days in San Diego so we could drive out together. I really, really, really needed that peace and quiet.

The peyote was just a plus.
PZ Myers