News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Election Thread 2024

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, January 06, 2024, 10:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

You know, i think many thought he wasn´t all that ellectable back then, but I used to think he was most ellectable out of the bunch.

I think Bernie Sanders had better politics. But I think people saw him as too radical. (And i´m not sure he could have achieved a much as biden has, in hindsight. Sometimes carried but slow progress can get more done than a lone "revolutionary".)

I remember thinking:
Biden has that Obama link, which gives him a good familiarity.
He´s got loads of experience as a bridge builder and a unifier. Which could get the independent votes on his side and might even get a few moderate republicans to abstain from voting.
His willingness to reach across the aile is also appreciated in contrast to the trump-maga-partisan era.
He was vice president and knows the job, better than the current president.

And most importantly of all, I remember the point in which trump began singling out biden.
He began saying that he´d prefer to run against Sleepy Joe; ´the worst candidate´ of the bunch.
It didn´t just betray that he saw Joe as his biggest threat...
But biden had a great way of reacting to it and using a scrappy vigor to make himself look like the biggest threat and to get under trump´s skin.
Trump could belittle and ridicule most of his opponents. But it rolled off biden and that kept upsetting trump, fuelling his obsession with trying to get a ´gotcha´ on biden. In essence, trump created his own worst opponent by constantly feeding the flame behind biden.
If trump had simply ignored the man, biden never would have become the democratic nominee. No one would have believed he could take on trump.
I loved it. It was poetic, like a greek tragedy.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

We don't know if Sanders would've fared better or worse against Trump in 2020, and we'll never know now.  It's done and we have Biden.  And thankfully, Biden won.  Biden got Pennsylvania, Georgia, Arizona, and Wisconsin.  He got 304 electoral votes to Trump's 232.  That's a win.  Granted, those margins were very close in some states, but a win is a win.  Fast forward 4 years and Biden has a decent record to stand by and Trump has...to be at court next Tuesday and a different one on Wednesday and has to cough up dough or get his assets seized.  Maybe this is just me, but I'd rather be a Biden supporter than a Trump supporter.

Biden looks back fondly on the day he got the US to rejoin the Paris Agreement or distributed 100 million doses of the covid vaccine to help Americans get safely back to work or pledged military support for Ukraine.  Trump fondly looks back on the day he almost killed Pence.

Biden fears America falling to despotism and tyranny.
Trump fears a singer telling her fans to vote.

Biden looks forward to election day.
Trump looks forward to coup day.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 09, 2024, 03:54:15 AMWe don't know if Sanders would've fared better or worse against Trump in 2020, and we'll never know now. 
I liked Sanders, but I wasn't sure about elect-ability for him either. But more important than getting elected is what happens once in Office, and this would have been difficult for Sanders. I think he is closer in philosophy to what Americans want, but not when compared to his more right leaning democratic peers on the Hill. He would have been opposed by too many members of his own party and been rendered ineffective.

Hydra009

Trump seems proud that "dictator" and "revenge" come up often when people think about him.

Hydra009

Tucker, roll that panda footage!

aitm

Donald is on a crash course with his mouth and ego. Every week he opens mouth and further alienates small parts of his following, but more, he continues to push independents away.. still have lots of time for him to spin more around the toilet, but as we get closer and closer and the polls start showing Joe nudging ahead he will become more erratic, more outlandish, more offensive, and those that love him don't give a shit, but those on the fence are going to really question the guys sanity.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Dark Lightning

It looks like he's in competition with himself to see how depraved he can get and not lose his cult followers.

Hydra009

Trump Trails Biden on 2024 Fundraising as Legal Fees Mount

QuoteDonald Trump's political operation spent an additional $5.6 million on legal fees in February, dampening the Republican presumptive nominee's political fundraising, which continues to lag his Democratic rival's cash haul.

QuoteSave America, the entity funding most of the former president's legal bills, spent $5.6 million on lawyer costs in February. His political operation has spent $63.9 million on legal expenses since January 2023 and has about $7.8 million more he can tap, which will only last him only a few months.
Despite this, Trump still has a total of ~$60 million on hand.

Meanwhile, Biden raised $53 million in February and ended the month with $155 million on hand.  No rape trial.  No hush money trial.  No lawyers hiring lawyers.  No Four Seasons Total Landscaping.  No drippy hair dye.  Really weird how not being a monster means you don't have to pay monstrous legal fees.

Hydra009

Trump just canceled a trip too Arizona due to being too broke  Imho, one of Trump's staffers had a paper with "Orders: Phoenix Rally" on it and he saw it and panicked, saying "First Gryffindor, now Ravenclaw plots against me!"  Just kidding, he's more of a reality TV guy.

But seriously, Biden's building a new computer chip processing plant in Arizona, creating thousands of new jobs.  What'd Trump do for Arizona?

Unbeliever

Well, Drumph kept out dem im'grunts dint 'e? 🤣
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Dark Lightning

I consider that chip plant in Arizona to be a boondoggle, even though I like Biden. The plant is going to consume large quantities of water, which isn't actually available, and the (Taiwanese) company that wants to run it has no consideration for the workers. Plus, there is a large amount of infrastructure that has to be built. We do really need to wrest chip production back from the near east. I used to work in defense. Of course, chips and associated components for this were made in the US.

Hydra009

There are three more planned in Ohio, New Mexico, and Oregon.  So if the Arizona one doesn't work out, it's not a total loss.  Hopefully, they know what they're doing in selecting that site, though.  And fully agreed that the US absolutely should return to computer chip production.

How nice it is to have a relatively normal President where we can even discuss our future.  Back when Trump was throwing his weight around, the news was one big dumpster fire and we didn't even have the luxury of long-term plans.

Gawdzilla Sama

I'm glad I'm old. Enough of humans and their insanity.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009