News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Bullshit Blast-off

Started by Luther Martini, January 01, 2024, 01:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luther Martini

Cruising through my morning news list this morning, I came upon this piece, which, for me at least, really gets the new year started off right. 

"World's first cow dung rocket gets ready to blast off in Hokkaido"

After-all, we all know that there will be A LOT of bullshit generated and disseminated in 2024, and it is just really good to know that someone already has a plan to put some of it to good use.

Located in the town of Taiki (a town where the bovine population is five times that of the human head count) on the island of Hokkaido Japan, a company known as "Interstellar Technologies" has developed and successfully tested a rocket engine powered by a liquefied biomass created from cow dung and urine.

I have always admired the Japanese for their creative ways of recycling waste products, but this really is some leading edge shit (OK -- corny pun that).  All kidding aside, I am glad that someone figured out how to make it work.  I mean, when I was in college, I saw my room mate almost blast himself out of a chair by lighting a fart, to many a joke about "to the moon, motherfucker", while the more sober of those watching commented on the more practical considerations and cautions, like how to prevent burns, and serious damage to sensitive body parts.  but I digress ...

Here is the article   
https://newsonjapan.com/html/newsdesk/article/139925.php

Gawdzilla Sama

I think the Qin Empire would challenge that "first".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Dark Lightning

They're making wooden satellites, too.
boards in space

Luther Martini

Luther Martini

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 01, 2024, 03:08:28 PMThey're making wooden satellites, too.
boards in space

Very cool.  I read a headline about that a few days ago, and meant to go back and read the full article ..  so thanks for the link.

There are a lot of very innovative tech companies operating in Japan right now.  This past October, my wife and I attended the Japan Mobility Show in Tokyo.  This is what used to be called the Tokyo Auto Show, but has now expanded to include a broad spectrum of mobility devices from electric scooters to personal aircraft, hence the name change.  Aside from the parts of the show dedicated to hydrogen fuel cell technology, my favorite area was where suppliers to the end use manufacturers showed their wares and projects in development.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Luther Martini

No, it was at Tokyo Big Sight

Gawdzilla Sama

Must be new. I was last in the Kanto area in 1985.
PZ Myers

Luther Martini

Tokyo Big Sight opened sometime in the mid-late 1990's and is located on the waterfront in the Ariake district near the mouth of the Sumida River.  It is the largest convention/exhibition center in Japan. 

https://www.bigsight.jp/english/