What were some phrases you grew up in a formerly religious home you cannot stand

Started by Nopejustnotinterested, December 25, 2023, 11:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nopejustnotinterested

Here are some of mine:

"Happiness is a choice"

"Doing good for others ALWAYS makes you feel good"

"It is better to give than to receive"

"You should just toughen it up (when you're deprived of your physical needs)"

"There are people who are way worse off than you"

"The world doesn't revolve around you (when you're finally trying to help yourself after nearly everyone treats you like a doormat)"

"You should just be grateful for what you have"

"You're the one who has an attitude problem (when you finally call out the person on their BS)"

What are yours, if any?

Mr.Obvious

My homestead wasn't overly relifous. I think i was the most religious of the bunch. Untill i wasn't.

I'll be honest: i do my best to live by some of the phrases you listed above.

Sorry mate!

I do always have to grinn and bear when colleagues or clients say stuff like 'inshallah' or 'god helps us all' or 'you are doing god's work'. They mean well, i tell myself.

Don't like 'i am a good person.' either. And i hate: 'you are a good person'.
The first i just find a mild inconvenience, because i understand people use the phrase in their own context.
But I really don't think of myself as a 'good' person. And i wont correct people IRL. But whenever they say it, it grates me just a little.

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Nopejustnotinterested

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 26, 2023, 03:55:38 PMMy homestead wasn't overly relifous. I think i was the most religious of the bunch. Untill i wasn't.

I'll be honest: i do my best to live by some of the phrases you listed above.

Sorry mate!

Don't be sorry. That's your life, as long as you don't enforce your way of living onto others.

I could care less how one would treat him/herself with such phrases, even if they personally make me uncomfortable. I just don't like it when people brag about these phrases and have the same unrealistic expectations towards me and other folks that don't function the same way.

That's not how I work, mate. :(

Gawdzilla Sama

We're sitting at a red light. Car coming from the other direction gets clobbered HARD by a car that looked like it wanted to get in the driver's seat. Probably did. Didn't look.

Riding with one of my idiot cousins (who had some killer weed, only reason we were in the same vehicle.) The cars smash. He immediately says "that's a sign!" Of what, dumbass?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.