News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

venio, video, vinco. (I come, I see, I conquer)

Started by Ecbarrowes, April 20, 2024, 03:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

It is not our obligation to believe your assertion because it is entirely possible that whether there is a god or not, you're just a know nothing dummy-dumb. You can't use presupposition to prove your position. You do not get to do that with the actual bone of contention.

If all you have are weak arguments, you will never video.

Hydra009

Hey guys, I have psychic powers.

Proof?  Well, there are two possibilities: I have psychic powers or I don't have psychic powers.

If we start with the assumption that I have psychic powers, then it makes sense that I move pencils with my mind and talk to space aliens.  Those same space aliens also say that psychic powers are a real thing because they themselves have psychic powers.  How do I know this?  Because they told me telepathically.

Checkmate, atheists.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Ecbarrowes on April 27, 2024, 08:07:08 PMAs I said previously, every person has the capacity to communicate with God. That means that if you tell me that God said such and such to you, you could be correct or in error, but your assertion is not my obligation to believe it because I can take it to God myself. If you speak erroneously, you are the main recipient and victim of your error. The constraints of the processes of communicating with God can only be self-imposed and enforced because you are the the one closest to the action. If you are duplicitous with yourself, it is self-delusion. Naturally, if others believe your falsehood they will be wounding themselves by not vetting your idea properly. Contrary wise, if you speak truth and others believe it, then it's a win-win.

All i'm still hearing here is , " i want to be able to say i am right, solely because i hope and feel like  i should be right".
Which, honestly, seems sad in and by itself.
I stopped believing around 17-18-19 years old, but i haven't reasoned like that since i was probably like 13.

But as pityfull and childish qs your notion may be... were it held like a private belief... then maybe? I mean: you can't 'choose' what convinces you. You can go out there and do research to expand your knowledge. But a belief is not a choice, so up to that point; believing you are right because you 'have to be' right might still be a fallacy  but it at least can make sense to you.

But to come out to the world. To say you welcome all challenges to your god and to know that the only thing you can offer in response is : "Nu-huh! My God tells me you are wrong and I am right and therefor that is that! Nah! And you should believe me because i thought about it real hard. And you are dumb for not believing me. If you talk to god he will tell you the exact same thing, but you are just too dumb and too wrong and too sinful."

... yeah, sure dude. Gottem. Checkmate.

Except, i will say: my dad can beat up your dad.
So there, i win the argument.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.