News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How about worshipping Spinoza’s god?

Started by Primal, October 22, 2023, 06:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primal

To be clear, Spinoza didn't believe in miracles or anthropometric gods. He was a pantheist and called the Universe and everything in it, god.

I think it'll make for more fun conversations in social situations if I call myself a "believer" instead of merely atheist. Fascinating stuff.

Unbeliever

I just don't see any reason to use the word "[G]od" for the universe or its laws.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

the_antithesis

Unbeliever

I'll drink to that! Let's have a cocktail! 🧃🧋
God Not Found

Primal

Quote from: the_antithesis on October 22, 2023, 08:01:15 PMHow about worshiping my cock.

Yeah why not? Your cock is part of the pantheist god too. And so is your cock, which I won't ever worship.

the_antithesis

Primal

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 22, 2023, 07:18:45 PMI just don't see any reason to use the word "[G]od" for the universe or its laws.

It's sexier. It makes you sound smart in conversations.

"I worship god. Einstein's god."

Primal

the_antithesis

Mr.Obvious

I clung to Spinoza after going from catholic to broad  christian, to broad theist, to deist.

I dropped it when I realized that a meaningless concept provides no meaning.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Primal

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 23, 2023, 01:58:42 PMI clung to Spinoza after going from catholic to broad  christian, to broad theist, to deist.

I dropped it when I realized that a meaningless concept provides no meaning.

Fair enough.

Spinoza to me was merely an atheist who saw things a little differently. After all, he did not believe in miracles like in the Bible.

Simoon

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 22, 2023, 07:18:45 PMI just don't see any reason to use the word "[G]od" for the universe or its laws.

Yeah, calling the universe god, adds no new information or understanding.

Why isn't just being in awe of the universe, without calling it god (and all that freaking baggage) enough?

Also, what is there to worship with Spinoza's god?

I remember the short time I referred to myself as a pantheist, it just hit me; what the hell am I calling god? Just like that, I was an atheist

Hijiri Byakuren

There is no practical value to renaming the universe "God." And there is a very massive downside of religious fuckwits co-opting it to justify their monstrous worldviews.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cassia

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on January 16, 2024, 04:33:43 AMThere is no practical value to renaming the universe "God." And there is a very massive downside of religious fuckwits co-opting it to justify their monstrous worldviews.
I think it was very difficult for me to be a nonbeliever when I was young. I wanted to think the people I loved and admired would teach me truthful things. I recall starting to doubt the story as I learned more about science than anyone else in my life. Plus, I studied other religions and ancient mythology. On top of all that, the church was constantly changing the rules to keep up with modern ethics. How could that be if the book and Pope's interpretation were considered "perfect"? Then as I hit my 40s, I realized the average person is basically clueless as to workings of the universe and biology, LOL. It is so naturally easy for me to be an atheist now.

Unbeliever

It seems most Christians, at least, are also clueless as to the history of their religion. Hardly any have read the Bible from cover to cover, they only know any of it at all from the preaching on Sunday.
God Not Found