News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Black Cleopatra

Started by Susan, August 08, 2023, 01:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan

Do you personally care that Netflix has released a documentary/docudrama about Cleopatra casting a biracial actress? And do you think that the critics are being mostly racist?

the_antithesis

What's Netflicks?

Mr.Obvious

Hadn´t even heard of this.
Not really enticed to drive deeper, personally, either.
So, I guess: question 1, no. Question 2, I wouldn´t know.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

Don't buy into the concept of 'races'.  We are humans--period.  Humans originated from the same place and fanned out from there.  That makes us all African. The different skin colors, eye color, hair color, etc is because of environment and not because there are different races.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Americans perception of historical people stem from movies made by white Americans in the 50-60's, so they expect a white person because they are too ignorant to know her actual history, the actual timeline and the fact that she most certainly had a much better tan than the average white band....
get it?
Average white band?
LOL....sometimes I crack meeself up....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

the_antithesis

Susan

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Unbeliever

Nah, I don't personally care about anything Netflix does or doesn't do.
🤔
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

I completely forgot about that show. Yeah, it would have been better if they had picked someone whose ethnicity matched the actual person they were playing, but I probably wouldn't have seen it either way, so...
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

Who's to say that Cleopatra wasn't dark skinned? 🤔
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Susan

Fucking douches not contributing to the thread/topic.

Shiranu

Considering she was a Greek, having an African play her does seem "odd" at best...

Given the company, my guess is it was intentionally done with the intention to be shocking and inflammatory as to build artificial drama and hype over their show, which hey... if it works, it's good marketing.

Morally bankrupt, a joke when compared to actual history, and outright harmful to society... but good at selling a movie.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

the_antithesis

I'm pretty sure this is not the first time Cleopatra has been portrayed by a black woman.

Susan

I found this on the interwebz:

"This is not a revision. No one on this earth is capable of saying what Cleopatra physically looked like. The documentary is based on the premise that the Macedonians, who have been settled in Egypt for three centuries, have had time to intermingle with the local aristocracy. And that is entirely possible".

Seems reasonable to me.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 10, 2023, 01:38:03 AMWho's to say that Cleopatra wasn't dark skinned? 🤔

Egypt, apparently.  The government hates this series.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!