News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Isnt science thriving due to war?

Started by Kemba9, June 09, 2023, 07:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemba9

Take African continent. Reason science never thrived there is due to tribal issues, but it wasnt long scale wars like Middle East, Europe and Asia. Africa was mostly chilling.

But the idea of trying to outsmart the enemy due to being constant warfare in history is what led to scientific minds in history.

I am just curious what Atheists think of that? That science is due to war. Religious or non religious. Religion or commie, its all the same thing

Take Polynesia, chilling, no long wars. Sure the Native Americans had some messed up human rituals, but same there too. No devastating science or weapons of war.

aitm

Son. What is up with you? We are not interested in every scattered thought you come up with. Just stop with this incessant inane stuff.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Why don't you just sit down and shut up???!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Kemba9

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 09, 2023, 09:02:20 AMWhy don't you just sit down and shut up???!!!
Why cant you listen to facts?

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

the_antithesis

Blackleaf

It's the other way around. War profits off of abusing the knowledge that science provides. You know what science thrives off of? Communication. The scientific boom started just after the printing press, which enabled scientists to more easily communicate their ideas. Since then, communication has only become easier. But now we have a new problem. Idiots are communicating too. People who think the world is flat or that 5G towers cause Covid.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Kemba9

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 10, 2023, 02:05:07 AMIt's the other way around. War profits off of abusing the knowledge that science provides. You know what science thrives off of? Communication. The scientific boom started just after the printing press, which enabled scientists to more easily communicate their ideas. Since then, communication has only become easier. But now we have a new problem. Idiots are communicating too. People who think the world is flat or that 5G towers cause Covid.

I agree somewhat. That war does exploit that. But war creates these conditions to improve scientific minds is more what i mean. Basically there is a reason why part of the world didnt have scientific circles, yet some parts did. And thats due to being pressured due to war.

Also i notice your name sounds like that fearmongering Christian stuff about DnD? Dark Dungeons 2014 movie is the one i saw. Of how dangerous larping is which is funny.

Its really crazy how they make table players look evil lol. I mean sure nerdy and boring i can get. But evil is taking it to the extreme haha

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Kemba9

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 10, 2023, 11:59:56 AMPost some.
Ok.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_science#Earliest_roots
Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia are argued of being cradle of earliest civilizations. Now... what do they have in common? They are war cultures. Even Rome who had invented stuff was also a warring culture.

But i looked up on other websites. Here are discussions around it aswell
https://www.quora.com/What-relationship-does-science-have-to-war

Gawdzilla Sama

You know I have a Master's in History from Purdue, right? Otherwise you would troll like that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Kemba9

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 10, 2023, 12:05:35 PMYou know I have a Master's in History from Purdue, right? Otherwise you would troll like that.

I am starting at pre college in fall. But nice to know. We need historians in the world. But what does that got to do with what i posted?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Kemba9 on June 10, 2023, 12:13:23 PMI am starting at pre college in fall. But nice to know. We need historians in the world. But what does that got to do with what i posted?
Nothing has anything to do with what you post.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Kemba9 on June 10, 2023, 12:13:23 PMI am starting at pre college in fall. But nice to know. We need historians in the world. But what does that got to do with what i posted?
"Pre-college"? Like kindergarten?
PZ Myers

Kemba9

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 10, 2023, 01:28:34 PM"Pre-college"? Like kindergarten?
I have ICT certificate, but that doesnt do shit to get jobs. So Fagskole, or pre college as i call it in english, is a way to get R1 math, physics and advanced math down, because its required before going into college/university. Since i never had that in high school