News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

President 2024 USA

Started by Kemba9, June 05, 2023, 06:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemba9

I have good feeling on this candidate. Marianne Williamson seems alright
Though if i could, i would just remove two party establishments for a multiparty one. But how you do that without USA turning into an oligarchy is the tricky question, since you probably need to have it transcend into it, rather than a sudden move.

Cassia

A spiritual advisor/pastor, no thanks. This country is already wallowing in bullshit. BTW, we already have a "multiparty" system. What we need is ranked-choice ballots. At least that will be somewhat democratic. The electoral college system has been corrupted by gerrymandering.

Kemba9

Quote from: Cassia on June 05, 2023, 08:22:23 AMA spiritual advisor/pastor, no thanks. This country is already wallowing in bullshit. BTW, we already have a "multiparty" system. What we need is ranked-choice ballots. At least that will be somewhat democratic. The electoral college system has been corrupted by gerrymandering.

Not really because two party establishment of Democrats and Republicans is the major players. So even if a candidate gets involved they have to abide by certain rules within it, and not on their policy making all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-party_system#United_States

For example look up keypeople interms Democrat establishments and you will get the point, Republicans i assume have a more senator driven way. But point is its driven by establishments and not representative party that you vote for that is more common in some other advanced Democracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_National_Committee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_(United_States)

the_antithesis

Quote from: Kemba9 on June 05, 2023, 06:59:14 AMThough if i could, i would just remove two party establishments for a multiparty one. But how you do that without USA turning into an oligarchy is the tricky question, since you probably need to have it transcend into it, rather than a sudden move.

What the hell are you babbling about? We're pretty much an oligarchy with, indeed, because of that two party system.

Cassia

Independent candidates can and have done very well, but yeah, it's our fault, the voters who just vote their party no matter what. Lazy, don't even do any homework.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Cassia on June 05, 2023, 11:47:12 AMIndependent candidates can and have done very well, but yeah, it's our fault, the voters who just vote their party no matter what. Lazy, don't even do any homework.

I think it might be more complicated than that.

Unbeliever

I usually vote gorilla, but I admit to being biased. 🤔
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cassia

This is why a ranked-choice system would be much better. After the first-choice votes are counted, if no candidate has received a majority of the votes, the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated, and their votes are redistributed to the remaining candidates according to voters' second choices. This process is repeated until one candidate receives a majority. NYC and Maine already use it. Fuhrer DeSantis just outlawed it in Florida, of course.

Gawdzilla Sama

OP, did you vote Bull Moose back in the day?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jason Harvestdancer

Republicans:

Doug Burgum - poor name recognition.  Doesn't have any noted foreign policy positions.
Chris Christie - Is Chris Christie, nuff said.
Ron DeSantis - most popular non-Trump, trying to get all of Trump's populism without being Trump.
Larry Elder - his only experience is a radio talk show and a failed run for governor.  On the plus side he has minority status working in his favor.  I don't like his stand on LGBT.  Hard to get a clear reading of his foreign policy.
Nikki Haley - has experience in her favor and minority status in her favor.  Her foreign policy is sufficiently hawkish for her to get support here and get my opposition.
Will Hurd - poor name recognition, only experience is three terms in congress.  Has minority status working in his favor.  Awful foreign policy, reminds me of Bush and Obama.
Asa Hutchinson - last time a Governor of Arkansas was elected it was a disaster.  Lots of experience.  Too pro-life and anti-lgbt for me.  On the plus side he resisted Covid-mania.  DEA and DHS experience make me see him as a bad choice.
Perry Johnson - Who?  Seriously, who?  He's a businessman and had a failed run for governor.  Also trying to be "Trump minus the baggage".
Mike Pence - his past association with Trump won't hurt him, as he has come out as anti-Trump.  Very mainstream, gets along with the establishment very well.  Could do a good job being the temporary "this is an example of how awful Republicans are" for a few months until losing and going back to being a good Republican like Romney and McCain.  Same-old same-old.  The populists hate him.
Vivek Ramaswamy - he was entertaining for a while, but he lost all entertainment value when he advocated sending the US military into Mexico to fight the cartels.  No electoral experience, but has minority status working in his favor.  His views on presidential power are awful.
Tim Scott - not that well known outside of his state where he is a senator.  His minority status works in his favor.  His 106 page Justice Act is surprisingly good.  It failed because Democrats said it didn't go far enough.  Foreign policy could be better.
Francis Suarez - the Mayor of Miami, is trying to do what DeSantis is doing.  Has minority status in his favor.  I don't think his run will endear him to Trump or DeSantis, whichever one comes out on top.
Donald Trump - has the anti-establishment populist vote.  He has too many opponents for them to unify and create an effective challenge.  Seen as an incumbent of sorts.  Inconsistent on foreign policy.

My take: there are too many non-Trumps.  There are too many "I'm like Trump without the baggage" for those who liked Trump but are weary of him to unify behind.  There are too many "I'm completely unlike Trump, I'm a real Republican" for the never-Trumpers to unify behind.  Without extraordinary action Trump's nomination is mathematically certain.

Democrats:

Joe Biden - the reason it would be unfair to accuse him of a life of criminal corruption is because he doesn't remember any of it.  Overly fond of kids.
Robert F. Kennedy Jr - secretly a Q-anon Republican plant in the Democratic Party Primary, you heard it here first on IIDB.  Has the name "Kennedy" and Democrats will do insane things in support of that name.  Is asking questions that Democrats don't want him to ask.
Marianne Williamson - no elective office experience. Not really sure of her positions other than she appears to have a fluffy new-age kind of demeanor.

My take: unless something unexpected happens, it will be Biden by default.

White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!