Main Menu

How does one measure "greatness"?

Started by Primal, June 04, 2023, 07:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SoldierofFortune

It is great to be able to be in charge of your own life, making decisions without external directives like being have to make money to make a living.

But it is even greater to pursue your own meaning and fulfillment in spite of external directives.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Sounds like an oxymoron...or maybe I'm just a regular moron. 🤤
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 06, 2023, 03:49:26 PMSounds like an oxymoron...or maybe I'm just a regular moron. 🤤
Just pointing out that greatness isn't easy or common. Mundanity is rampant in the world, and most people are good with that.
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

The problem with greatness is that we usually think of it as something that separates an individual from the rest of humanity and I'm not sure that's healthy for anybody. It's not good for the "great" individual because they'll feel a separation from others, maybe even think themselves above them, and next thing you know, they're Prince.

And it's not good everyone else because some start worshiping these people which is not a good thing either. Look at the cults Trump, Musk and Lucas have amassed.

I think there may be a better way to understand it, but I can't put my finger on it right now.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

aitm

Donald tRump is the greatest....just ask him.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers