News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How does one measure "greatness"?

Started by Primal, June 04, 2023, 07:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primal

How does one measure "greatness"?

Man, if you all take the question seriously, it's gonna make for a complicated-ass discussion.

I'm talking about people only, by the way. No animals, plants, or rocks.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Tape measure. Six whole inches. Woo hoo.

Shiranu

Not the way history tends to, that's for sure.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

I don't know how one measures greatness, I only know how two or three measure greatness. 🕑🕒
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Shiranu

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 04, 2023, 04:45:13 PMI don't know how one measures greatness, I only know how two or three measure greatness. 🕑🕒

jk jk
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 04, 2023, 04:45:13 PMI don't know how one measures greatness, I only know how two or three measure greatness. 🕑🕒
Professional historian/documentarian here. It ain't easy. Problem is we're dealing with humans.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Like beauty--greatness is in the eye of the beholder!

It's opinion--like those ads that appear on our computers--The 25 best songs of all time; the most beautiful women of history; the greatest movies of all time; the worst movies of all time---all a matter of opinion.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

the_antithesis

aitm

Welll.....I've made people cry when I fart. So...there's that.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on June 05, 2023, 04:24:47 PMWelll.....I've made people cry when I fart. So...there's that.
GREATNESS---if I've ever smelled it!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Hydra009

"Great" people are just an abstraction ultimately deriving from "Great King".  The ancient sense of the term was usually reserved for unusually powerful monarchs at the top of the pecking order.  The modern sense of the term, though subjective, would likely fit modern super-celebrities (i.e. "Legends"), mostly in the arts or business or sports or science.

Unbeliever

Tony the Tiger knew what great was! 🐅
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

I remember a desert chieftain who was styled "the Great" based on the number of goats he owned. 24/25 goats IIRC.
PZ Myers