Do atheists lack imagination interms of entertainment, which leads to misery?

Started by Kemba9, May 29, 2023, 07:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemba9

Because i saw "Peter Pan & Wendy" 2023 Disney movie who is directed by a self proclaimed atheist. And wow that felt like a horror movie.

Now Peter Pan Return to Neverland 2002 movie is my favorite in the series. Since its very good story on why people cling to childhood memories or childishness due to trying to distract from the horrors in general.

The one from the 50s is eh, i mean i dont hate it though, it has the spirit of Peter Pan that i like.

but just curious to what you think?

I think problem with much movies now is it either has to be cynical, meta humor or misery. Its lacks adventure, comedy and fun spirit in general. When something is purely about misery without it having any point then i call it bad entertainment

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Kemba9 on May 29, 2023, 07:46:49 AMBecause i saw "Peter Pan & Wendy" 2023 Disney movie who is directed by a self proclaimed atheist. And wow that felt like a horror movie.

Sample of One error.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Kemba9

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 29, 2023, 08:46:53 AMAnd a recent Disney movie. They're all horror movies.

I like old classics. But the Peter Pan & Wendy 2023 movie felt like it was building up to Pennywise the dancing clown for some reason "You dont have to grow up, we all float!"

Kemba9

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 29, 2023, 08:55:30 AM

Oh no.
In defense of Lion King, i like the art more. Since they look more like real lions. But the 2019 version took that way too seriously. If they wanted actual live action version of that, then they should have made them not talk at all and let the plot and music go with it.

Mike Cl

Well, Kemba9, religion, by far, has lead to more misery for the world than any other movement--with christainty (all brands) leading the way to this very second.  One reason is that the religious seem to lack imagination--do as your appointed dictator says or go to hell--and never, never think.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

You should make a post in Introductions, so we know who you are. As for your question, no. We don't lack imagination. We just know the difference between fact and fiction.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Kemba9

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 29, 2023, 09:09:48 AMWell, Kemba9, religion, by far, has lead to more misery for the world than any other movement--with christainty (all brands) leading the way to this very second.  One reason is that the religious seem to lack imagination--do as your appointed dictator says or go to hell--and never, never think.
What about communism? Where religion is often excluded for a dictator? People will find ways or ideals to fight for certain evils. I think issue lies more in acting like you're the only right person in the room, and that can encourage extremists. But i guess i will go with "Pro liberty" argument, where aslong as nobody is bothering anyone then its non of my business what they do.

Slavery for example, is a classic example of anti liberty, if one proposes such ideals then its bad. John Brown is a historical figure i like to look back to, despite using extreme means to pursue it, but the idea itself is to fight against anti liberty sentiment

Kemba9

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 29, 2023, 09:09:48 AMWell, Kemba9, religion, by far, has lead to more misery for the world than any other movement--with christainty (all brands) leading the way to this very second.  One reason is that the religious seem to lack imagination--do as your appointed dictator says or go to hell--and never, never think.

But to ask a question.

I consider "Robert Louis Stevenson" a great guy, due to his works on works such as Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde story. And he was an atheist.

But also i consider Georges Clemenceau kind of a bad guy, he was one of the big fours after WW1 that was in huge favor to punish Germany so hard it led to Adolf Hitler. Well Georges Clemenceau was a very high profiled atheist

aitm

I think picking one movie and use a paint roller to describe all others is a lazy way, but an easy way to generalize a pretty broad typeset. But then again, I have no imagination.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Kemba9

Quote from: aitm on May 29, 2023, 11:09:06 AMI think picking one movie and use a paint roller to describe all others is a lazy way, but an easy way to generalize a pretty broad typeset. But then again, I have no imagination.

I agree. But i think it makes for a good discussion, despite how baity it sounds like.
John Lennon did say "Imagine", but imagination is a very tricky subject. Should it reflect realities or a made up fantasy?.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Kemba9 on May 29, 2023, 09:55:07 AMBut to ask a question.

I consider "Robert Louis Stevenson" a great guy, due to his works on works such as Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde story. And he was an atheist.

But also i consider Georges Clemenceau kind of a bad guy, he was one of the big fours after WW1 that was in huge favor to punish Germany so hard it led to Adolf Hitler. Well Georges Clemenceau was a very high profiled atheist
I don't see a question.  But I'll say this--being an atheist does not make one good, kind, intelligent, fun, smart, dumb, or anything else.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?