News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Captain Planet

Started by Kemba9, June 01, 2023, 08:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemba9

What you think about the show

There are some ironically funny stuff. Like the Protestants vs Catholics in Belfast episode, where it made no sense. Basically if you have a Catholic sounding name "OOOHh fight" like its that ridiculous lol.

Usually its more tied to nationalism i think of leaving Britain. But yeah the episode is tad bit hilarious

Hydra009

https://www.cbr.com/captain-planet-jerk/

Their power of heart was in the right place, but it was just a tiny bit simplistic.  Obviously, a kid's show is going to be pretty simplistic, but damn, the black-and-white thinking got pretty bad and even as a kid, it was hard to tolerate.  Though, to be fair, there are definitely ecovillains irl, sometimes with a face but mostly existing a faceless corporate entity.

But a lot of the time, people aren't polluting because they feel like it, but because they have to make some hard choices to meet their goals and the environment doesn't factor into their thinking like it should.  For example, choosing between coal, nuclear, and (back then) a nascent renewables market.  Nuclear is "bad", but it's not even close to coal and could've made a decent stop-gap measure on the transition from hydrocarbons to renewables.

I don't remember a lot of the episodes, but I kinda wish they had been more positive and given "good" (or at least, less bad alternatives) ways of doing things more of a shout-out, not just at the end, but throughout the show.

If I could write a new season of that show, I would focus on stuff like:
* walkable cities (structuring cities so that car use is optional and traveling by electric/manual bikes or just plain walking is a viable path from point A to point B.  Also, stroads are pure evil.  That alone deserves it own ecovillain persona)
* greenwashing (false/exaggerated environmentally-friendly business practices)
* habitat fragmentation (not the outright destruction of wild spaces, but their breakup into tinier and tinier zones, often disconnected from each other and how this harms wildlife, and how to correct this by either not disturbing them in the first place or by establishing green corridors)
* paper straws (way more sea turtles are killed by fishing nets, you can use your own cup when possible to cut down on waste or just plain not use a straw, etc)
* the myth of "clean coal" and its use by the coal lobby and the GOP to manipulate people
* carbon mitigation measures - reforesting, carbon sequestering, agroforestry, etc
* systemic problems require systemic solutions, not individual solutions ("the power is NOT yours!" and the individual carbon footprint thing originates from a polluting industry simply trying to shift the blame from a polluting industry to consumers who obviously have no control over producers' emissions)