As an atheist... What do you think happens to us after death?

Started by Primal, April 22, 2023, 04:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primal

A part of me wants to go back to the mental comforts of religion and believe I'll go to paradise after death, but I'd rather be sad and realistic than happy and deluded.

Personally, I think Hinduism have the right of it and we get reincarnated. But that's really more of a wild guess for me. All I know for sure is that my atoms end up somewhere. Maybe they carry my consciousness. Who knows?

aitm

Well, the reality, that which we know for sure, is your atoms DO go about and will be part of something else....so yes, you are in fact reincarnated, just perhaps, not in the way you wish.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

Quote from: Primal on April 22, 2023, 04:13:22 PMA part of me wants to go back to the mental comforts of religion and believe I'll go to paradise after death, but I'd rather be sad and realistic than happy and deluded.
Yeah, realism sucks, but at least it's interesting! 🦠🦕🧠

QuotePersonally, I think Hinduism have the right of it and we get reincarnated. But that's really more of a wild guess for me. All I know for sure is that my atoms end up somewhere. Maybe they carry my consciousness. Who knows?
I too "believe" in a kind of reincarnation - but not the usual kind. I think the universe has to be cyclic, and that each cycle is, on the whole, exactly like every other. In which case I'll exist again exactly as I have this time around.

But of course I'll remember nothing about this life life I'm living now any more than I remember now any past cycles.

Too bad I can't send a message to my future self! 🖖

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

I've been dead a few times, most recently during a six day coma after heart surgery. Didn't notice a thing during that time.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

As Twain pointed out, I was dead for billions of years before I was born, and it didn't bother me a bit. 👍
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Luther Martini

Hijiri Byakuren

The only thing I believe "as an atheist" is that none of the gods humans have ever come up with are real.

As for what happens after we die, I'm content to say this: probably nothing, but I don't really know. I'll find out when I get there.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

I will climb the slopes of Kolvir and take the Jewel of Judgment from Corwin's tomb and call up a storm on the next GOP convention.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Well...once you're dead....what happens next is pretty much the same thing, only you don't realize it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

Ever notice how neurologists don't debate the so-called "mind-body problem?" Only philosophers who know little to nothing about how the brain works debate it. Neurologists see no problem, because they know that the mind is an emergent property of the brain. There is literally no room for anything else. Naturally, if the brain stops working, the mind goes with it. Maybe one day, our species will grow up and stop sacrificing the one life we do have for the sake of some fantasy.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

the_antithesis

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 04, 2023, 03:35:10 PMEver notice how neurologists don't debate the so-called "mind-body problem?"

It's not really a problem. They only problem is morons who think that because they can't accept it, it cannot be true like their brain is powerful enough to warp reality.

viocjit

I don't believe in an afterlife but I admit this possibility.
For me , life after life it's unlikely.

If there as an afterlife. I don't conceive it like live in a spiritual world.

I imagined some of these possibilities :

1.Conscious stocked in atoms go somewhere.

2.Conscious isn't in the brain as we think but the brain is a receptor.
I think the conscious is in the brain and therefore we can eliminate this scenario except if I'm wrong.

3.About 14 billions years ago. Big bang happened. We know one day universe as we know will cease to exist and maybe a new big bang will take place.

In my knowledge. If a new big bang happens the parameters of the previous universe will be erased.
Therefore , it would be a different universe and not one identical to our but maybe it will be similar and we will have a new human life (The same of today with maybe some differences) with atoms reconstructed.

Maybe I'm wrong and we can get an identical universe.

Interesting article : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future

aitm

I know exactly what happens, but I have been sworn to secrecy....it's a surprise.

viocjit

Quote from: aitm on August 01, 2023, 07:34:06 AMI know exactly what happens, but I have been sworn to secrecy....it's a surprise.

Lol !

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: viocjit on August 01, 2023, 07:25:07 AMI don't believe in an afterlife but I admit this possibility.
For me , life after life it's unlikely.

If there as an afterlife. I don't conceive it like live in a spiritual world.

I imagined some of these possibilities :

1.Conscious stocked in atoms go somewhere.

Very unlikely.
PZ Myers