News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Your favorite scientist?

Started by Primal, April 20, 2023, 01:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primal

I got none. lol. I was never the brainy type.

But I am curious about you folks. And why him/her?

the_antithesis

Mr.Obvious

Ndt, probably? I guess?

Love star talk
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Primal

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 20, 2023, 04:20:13 AMNdt, probably? I guess?

Love star talk

The dude's got charisma. At least by scientist standards. Richard Dawkins is such a boring speaker compared to Neil.

You are talking about Neil Degrasse Tyson, right?

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Primal on April 20, 2023, 04:52:19 AMThe dude's got charisma. At least by scientist standards. Richard Dawkins is such a boring speaker compared to Neil.

You are talking about Neil Degrasse Tyson, right?

Yeah, he's pretty suave.

Not against dawkins, honestly, though.
His precence on youtube helped me during my walk away from faith. I lost my beliefs in the timeperiod that he was one of the more known vocal atheists out there. For that, I am grateful.
There are better speakers, I agree. Just, don´t mind him at all, personally.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Primal

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 20, 2023, 05:34:47 AMYeah, he's pretty suave.

Not against dawkins, honestly, though.
His precence on youtube helped me during my walk away from faith. I lost my beliefs in the timeperiod that he was one of the more known vocal atheists out there. For that, I am grateful.
There are better speakers, I agree. Just, don´t mind him at all, personally.

My own mental ticket to get away from religious faith is basically just the endless possibilities I discovered in philosophy. Science is tricky because there are many Christians who speak with sciencey stuff, and to laypeople, they are persuasive as hell.

Cassia

Quote from: Primal on April 20, 2023, 05:43:31 AMMy own mental ticket to get away from religious faith is basically just the endless possibilities I discovered in philosophy. Science is tricky because there are many Christians who speak with sciencey stuff, and to laypeople, they are persuasive as hell.
Philosophy often leads to headstrong ideology in people who constantly seek marching orders and directives. It is a good exercise to understand the various schools of thought but let's face it; we have endless wars over philosophical differences. I am so sick and tired of Left vs Right. If we used rationality and facts, we would actually agree on the right things to do. Scientific reasoning is not bogged down by ego, belief, or ideology. It's the next step required for our species to move on.

Gawdzilla Sama

NDT and Carl Sagan's love child, Phil Plait.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Primal

Quote from: Cassia on April 20, 2023, 08:50:54 AMPhilosophy often leads to headstrong ideology in people who constantly seek marching orders and directives. It is a good exercise to understand the various schools of thought but let's face it; we have endless wars over philosophical differences. I am so sick and tired of Left vs Right. If we used rationality and facts, we would actually agree on the right things to do. Scientific reasoning is not bogged down by ego, belief, or ideology. It's the next step required for our species to move on.

But philosophy sounds cool and badass, while science forces you to learn math, which is lame. Talk about Nietzsche's Superman and people look at you in awe.

But if you talk to them about which amino acids were needed to kickstart life during the pre-complex organism days, they tune out.

Unbeliever

There have been (and are) so many great scientists that it's really hard to choose a favorite from the list.

I suppose, though, that if I were forced to choose I might pick Brian Greene, since he is really good at explaining difficult subjects.

And besides, he's very cute... 👀
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Charles Darwin, opposable thumbs down.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in light of evolution.  He basically did for biology what Newton did for physics, Copernicus did for astronomy, and Wegener did for geology.

And while he wasn't the first to point in this direction, he was the first give it a rigorously scientific treatment and begin the long, hard work of winning over the general public (spoiler: partially successful) and set the stage for the modern synthesis.

Unbeliever

Yeah, Darwin didn't invent the idea of evolution, he discovered the all-important mechanism by which it operates. 🦠🦕🙋
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Darwin's pigeons don't get enough credit.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers