Christian cult members die fasting in the forest

Started by Hydra009, April 16, 2023, 03:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Cult Members Found Starved to Death in Forest After Fasting for Jesus

This happened in Kenya.  Four died, 11 are at the hospital, 3 of which are in critical condition

A lot of the methodology and descriptions of the incident sound awfully familiar, especially if you're like me and grew up in the Bible Belt:

QuotePolice have said the group had been brainwashed by the leader of the Good News International Church

QuoteSome of the charges he faced included disobeying the law, religious incitement and indoctrination of children.
All of that sounds very atypical and not at all the usual operating procedure.  /s

Indoctrinating children in particular is an interesting accusation.  It almost sounds like the authorities think it's wrong to indoctrinate children to believe things that aren't real...

QuoteAuthorities also suspect there is a mass grave in the forest where other cult members are buried.
So, probably not the first time.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were asked to "donate" their worldly possessions before embarking on such a holy quest.

Gawdzilla Sama

I don't worry about my hillbilly cousins dying like that. More likely to choke to death on a whole side of beef.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

My cousins are more likely to choke to death on air.

Blackleaf

Are any of the bodies in the mass grave missing body parts?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

WARPED

More suffering for Jesus' sake. I do not miss this conviction.

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 16, 2023, 03:20:05 PMIndoctrinating children in particular is an interesting accusation.  It almost sounds like the authorities think it's wrong to indoctrinate children to believe things that aren't real...

It's amazing with hindsight, this was a common theme in my religious circles. Often I would hear "Children are like a blank sheet of paper, extremely impressionable" and it was up to the church to fill up as much of that blank sheet of paper before anyone else did. *raises hand* one of the children But at least I could eat. Until I was a teenager...then the "fast for Jesus" teachings were thrown in with the other muck.

"The heart may be weak, and sometimes it may even give in.
But I've learned that deep down, there's a light that never goes out!"
—Sora from Kingdom Hearts (cuz imma nerd)

WARPED

Also, I just remembered, as a child, it was often preached that if you don't serve God, He will have no use for you and you could quite possibly die at an early age.....yeah

Hydra009

Quote from: WARPED on April 19, 2023, 02:35:26 PMIt's amazing with hindsight, this was a common theme in my religious circles. Often I would hear "Children are like a blank sheet of paper, extremely impressionable"
Exactly.  "In every accusation, a confession..."

Cassia

Big time Christians just don't have enough meat between their ears to feed even the smallest zombie.
How many fails is it gonna take? How many generations of people kneeling and confessing sins to pervert priests? How many people who were convinced Jesus would return in their day are now dust? It is astounding. And then a clown like Joe Smith, Reverend Moon or L Ron Hubbard comes along and people line up for that.

WARPED

Quote from: Cassia on April 19, 2023, 11:17:33 PMBig time Christians just don't have enough meat between their ears to feed even the smallest zombie.
How many fails is it gonna take? How many generations of people kneeling and confessing sins to pervert priests? How many people who were convinced Jesus would return in their day are now dust? It is astounding. And then a clown like Joe Smith, Reverend Moon or L Ron Hubbard comes along and people line up for that.

I believe people are waking up. Church goers aren't as prevalent as they once were. Slowly but surely people are starting to take the red pill.

Mike Cl

The Millerite story never ceases to astound me.

https://www.thoughtco.com/millerites-definition-1773334

Jesus failed to return in 1843 and 1844--yet the movement was not wiped out.  They reformed into the Seventh Day Adventists. Belief and faith never yield to facts and critical thinking.  The same now--look at the Christian National Movement or several other cult/faiths that are strong right now.  No place for facts.   

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

WARPED

That's like my old church I grew up in. Apparently a new pope from 10 years ago was going to be the antichrist...smh. So many religious cults make these premonitions. None come true. When they don't they either tuck and run or it's a test from God.

Unbeliever

But the penultimate verse of the NT, and hence the penultimate verse of the whole Bible, has Jesus saying "Behold, I come quickly."

So he's due any day now...🛐✝️
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Dark Lightning

Well, premature ejaculation is a serious cause for lack of interest in the "laity". 😁

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 20, 2023, 05:07:07 PMBut the penultimate verse of the NT, and hence the penultimate verse of the whole Bible, has Jesus saying "Behold, I come quickly."

So he's due any day now...🛐✝️
Reminds me of a question a Skyrim companion poses to me every now and again--What's it like when the Dragonborn comes..................?  She wants to know if premature ejaculation is a problem--like with Jesus, that is his problem, apparently.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?