"The Church" Is Literally a "One-World Government"

Started by Shiranu, March 25, 2023, 07:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

In the early Medieval period (specifically, the 800s AD) pope leo III and Charlemagne came together to make a deal; Charlemagne had been a good Christian and a good ruler - thus, Charlemagne gets to adopt the mantle of "Holy Roman Emperor" and all the prestige that comes with that... and Catholic orders began being constructed across Christendom that would exploit the peasantry for cash and enforce their interpretation of Christianity. Before this, Christianity was actually a pretty chill organization as a whole, being very regional and culturally segregated (and often class-segregated, being the "poor man's" religion) and primarily focused on monasteries, charity and education - you know, the stuff Christ recommended.

The advantages of this deal was thus were thus; Charlemagne is given massive prestige (and probably a lot of money from the vatican), the pope now has an empire to influence, and importantly... people of different ethnic backgrounds that have been conquered by the empire can now all think of themselves as "one people".

So, my question is this... is that not the textbook definition of a "New world order, one-world government?" - An ultra-wealthy, out-of-touch and radicalized aristocracy that wants to either establish one grand ideological empire that spans the world or to erase the cultures of individual people - all so that they can all be "one culture, united in peace."?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

Pax Catholica? 🤔

Sounds about right to me...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Shiranu

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 25, 2023, 07:54:39 PMPax Catholica? 🤔

Sounds about right to me...

The more I thought about it, the more depressing it got :(.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

Yeah, I agree with H. G. Wells in Crux Ansata: the Vatican should have been bombed in WWII.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Luther Martini

Sinead O'Connor's brilliant and courageous protest on SNL, Oct 1992

Gawdzilla Sama

lit·er·al·ly
adverb
in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
"the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"

INFORMAL
used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.
"I was literally blown away by the response I got"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 26, 2023, 08:54:12 AMlit·er·al·ly
adverb
in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
"the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"

INFORMAL
used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.
"I was literally blown away by the response I got"

I went 2 for 2, I Think that's pretty damn impressive.

Shiranu

Quote from: Luther Martini on March 26, 2023, 06:02:02 AMSinead O'Connor's brilliant and courageous protest on SNL, Oct 1992

Always heard about this but never actually watched it. Respect to her for that, the Roman Catholic Imperium remains a terrifying institution to this day.

Luther Martini

Quote from: Shiranu on March 26, 2023, 03:23:45 PMthe Roman Catholic Imperium remains a terrifying institution to this day.

terrifying indeed --

The Crusades
Papal Inquisition
Spanish Inquisition
rape of the new world
persecution of scientists
institutional protection for pedophile clergy

One might say that practice makes perfect