Has the War Against AI Already Been Lost?

Started by Shiranu, February 13, 2023, 05:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 19, 2023, 05:03:18 PMFirst game I ever platinumed. Will play again as well.
The DLC was sooooooo good too.
Will buy forbidden West too.
Missed the DLC--looks like I will be taking this one up well before 6 mo.  Thanks for heads up!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 19, 2023, 06:00:58 PMDLC?

Downloadable content.

Basically stuff added to the game after it's completion.
Extra levels, side quests, maps, sometimes weapons, post game content...

I hardly ever bother with it, because sometimes gamevelopers use it to charge the full Price of a game for a time that's 80% finished only to right you off more later.
But... this onr was, I think, included in my version of the game
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shiranu

tl;dw - AI is getting disturbingly good at vocals, which will be both a net-negative for the music industry and, worse yet, is leading to a mass proliferation of AI-generated audio of celebrities; for now it's just memes, but it won't take long for someone to realize how easy it is to fake someone saying something REALLY offensive and using AI to make it look and sound convincing.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cassia

I like that a composer can add human voice and words to music. Faking a dead singer's voice shouldn't get past being much more than a novelty, mainly because with pop music so many are interested in the persona, really.

Shiranu

Yeah, there are actually some really cool things I could see using it for - but "resurrection" of the dead is more profitable.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on March 31, 2023, 05:27:53 PMFaking a dead singer's voice shouldn't get past being much more than a novelty, mainly because with pop music so many are interested in the persona, really.
If corporations can get rich off it (no royalty checks, cha ching!) and the public doesn't care or actually likes it, as ghoulish as it is, it will continue.

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 31, 2023, 10:13:45 PMIf corporations can get rich off it (no royalty checks, cha ching!) and the public doesn't care or actually likes it, as ghoulish as it is, it will continue.
Copyright laws will be revised if that happens. In fact, they should be working on that now, but I doubt they are. We are a reactive culture.

Hydra009

Self-driving bus requires two people to operate it

These double-decker buses require "a safety driver and a bus captain who will help passengers board the bus".

Presumably, the safety driver is a backup driver and the bus captain helps people embark/disembark.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

I think we're here to give life to AI.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Not only has the war with AI been lost, the cops are the Terminators

An AI service generates a realistic-sounding bomb threat in order to provoke a swat team to bust into a target location looking for a non-existent bomb.  People can get killed in those sorts of situations.

This practice is called "swatting" and exploits law enforcement's inability to tell legitimate and illegitimate bomb threats to call in fake bomb threats to cause panic and possibly violence directed at a disliked location or individual.  This is essentially criminal harassment by proxy.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 13, 2023, 07:43:32 PMNot only has the war with AI been lost, the cops are the Terminators

An AI service generates a realistic-sounding bomb threat in order to provoke a swat team to bust into a target location looking for a non-existent bomb.  People can get killed in those sorts of situations.

This practice is called "swatting" and exploits law enforcement's inability to tell legitimate and illegitimate bomb threats to call in fake bomb threats to cause panic and possibly violence directed at a disliked location or individual.  This is essentially criminal harassment by proxy.

Just recently had one of those in our local news a few cities away.

I just do not understand what motivates these people - I liked to troll with the best of em' in my youth, but even I find that just cringe and dickish.

Mr.Obvious

I will admitt, one of my more recent guilty pleasures is the meme of ai versions of Obama, joe biden and trump playing videogames and making top tier lists.
A lot of trash entries, but some golden nuggets are genuinely hilarious. Hearing the three of them bicker and make jabs but with an undertone of camaradery as if they've been long time palls/college bros. I dunno why, but it makes me laugh.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shiranu

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 17, 2023, 02:48:15 PMI will admitt, one of my more recent guilty pleasures is the meme of ai versions of Obama, joe biden and trump playing videogames and making top tier lists.
A lot of trash entries, but some golden nuggets are genuinely hilarious. Hearing the three of them bicker and make jabs but with an undertone of camaradery as if they've been long time palls/college bros. I dunno why, but it makes me laugh.

Those legitimately make me question my stance on AI. They are amazing.