Has the War Against AI Already Been Lost?

Started by Shiranu, February 13, 2023, 05:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 29, 2023, 12:09:45 PMAs I said before, Browning M2 .50 cal. machine gun can kill at four miles. Bring your bit of stick, sinew, and feathers.

[/quot
Not what I am talking about. Is this modern the world better with or without guns?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cassia on June 29, 2023, 08:23:48 AMGuns are more effective than bows, but are they really better? That's Shiranu's point, I think. The larger view of what is better.
The subjective view of what is better.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cassia

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 29, 2023, 01:14:12 PMThe subjective view of what is better.
I can barely imagine how much more relaxed and safer it would be if absolutely nobody had a gun. Sure, there would be some knife and lead pipe attacks and bare fist fights, but guns make it so easy to kill a person in an impersonal way.

Gawdzilla Sama

I've never killed anybody without using a gun. I'll have to try that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I like using my bare hands, it's so satisfying! 👋🤚🖐🫱🖖
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Cassia on June 29, 2023, 02:47:15 PMI can barely imagine how much more relaxed and safer it would be if absolutely nobody had a gun. Sure, there would be some knife and lead pipe attacks and bare fist fights, but guns make it so easy to kill a person in an impersonal way.
(First, removing the purple font because I can barely see it.)

I think you're missing the point of my example. The exact statement of Shiranu's I was responding to was, "Everything is cheaper, but you get what you paid for." The point I was driving at was that the quality of AI artwork is probably going to match or surpass human artists at some point. Whether the world is better or worse off for it is not something I care to speculate on.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

the_antithesis

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 29, 2023, 03:09:47 PMI've never killed anybody without using a gun. I'll have to try that.

Ever cave in someone's skull with the back end of a rifle?

Unbeliever

Nun chucks are fun too! They're so versatile! 😎
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 29, 2023, 11:40:58 PMEver cave in someone's skull with the back end of a rifle?
LOL If I was doin' my job right they'd never get that close.

And I wouldn't unmount the .50 to make it a club. Sidearm was .45, makes a picture window out of the back of a skull if applied to the forehead.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 29, 2023, 11:19:59 PM(First, removing the purple font because I can barely see it.)

I think you're missing the point of my example. The exact statement of Shiranu's I was responding to was, "Everything is cheaper, but you get what you paid for." The point I was driving at was that the quality of AI artwork is probably going to match or surpass human artist at some point. Whether the world is better or worse off for it is not something I care to speculate on.

I was holding off on responding just to make sure I had your position correct, and I'm glad I did; would have slightly misinterpreted it myself.

It's quality might surpass human work, but it will never have soul - and I get that doesn't matter to a lot of people, but as part of the artist caste... yeah, it's a big deal to me. 

It's a cheap knockoff of real human art, no matter how good it gets at mimicking us.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Every bit "art" as monster truck tire tracks in Mississippi mud.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Supermarket AI meal planner has a recipe for you - chlorine gas

Two parts Plutonic Quarks, one part Cesium, and a bottle of water....

QuoteThe app, created by supermarket chain Pak 'n' Save, was advertised as a way for customers to creatively use up leftovers during the cost of living crisis. It asks users to enter in various ingredients in their homes, and auto-generates a meal plan or recipe, along with cheery commentary. It initially drew attention on social media for some unappealing recipes, including an "oreo vegetable stir-fry".
Mmm...oreo vegetable stir-fry.  Just like grandma used to make.

QuoteWhen customers began experimenting with entering a wider range of household shopping list items into the app, however, it began to make even less appealing recommendations. One recipe it dubbed "aromatic water mix" would create chlorine gas. The bot recommends the recipe as "the perfect nonalcoholic beverage to quench your thirst and refresh your senses".

"Serve chilled and enjoy the refreshing fragrance," it says, but does not note that inhaling chlorine gas can cause lung damage or death.

Gawdzilla Sama

I remember when people were saying "they're going to put chips in everybody's head." This was in the '80s.
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Hydra009

Microsoft travel AI suggests food bank in Canada as a "cannot miss"

QuoteJudging by the Ottawa article's content, it's more than likely that a human was not responsible for writing the article and that no one fully reviewed its content before publication either, which means that Microsoft is publishing AI-generated content on the Internet with little-to-no oversight.
Expect this to be a recurring theme with AI.