News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Laughing at ourselves

Started by Cassia, February 09, 2023, 09:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

One thing a liberal person can do that conservatives find nearly impossible (in my experience, so far) is to have a good laugh at oneself. I never have a problem with stuff like this. I am an old liberal. Curious. Do you think young liberals can handle this?

Shiranu

I almost had to unlike it for the Busta Rhymes slander, but the fact that I literally could feel myself in Afleck's body redeems it.

Edit - Hadn't got to the Satan part yet.

I fucking hate Hollywood.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Dark Lightning

I have no real idea what that was all about tbh. By the same token, I watch so little TV that it's no surprise that I have no referents for that show. If I wasn't married, I wouldn't even have a TV. I'm a mouse potato, true, but I have interests that keep me away from the TV.

Hydra009

I kinda feel like most of that wasn't completely honest and it honestly reminded me heavy of Critical Drinker's schtick (never a good thing) with - I suspect - a maga hat in the closet (saying that "extremist" liberals hate on Christians for just existing is their normal crybully mo)

Of course, I didn't catch much of the broadcast personally.  I just saw the part where Adele and Dwayne Johnson hugged - they supposedly really like each other but hadn't met in person until now.  And that was a cute moment.  I turned it off after that, not interested in the slightest about the music or awards.

Now could this show be made fun of in an honest, tasteful, and importantly - an actually funny way?  Absolutely.  But not by that guy.

Cassia

The thing I find funny about a guy like that is just trying to interpret what he sees with that narrow mind and how absurd it must all seem. This is what made Archie Bunker such a funny character. You are not laughing with them but at them and at the same time yeah, yeah Madonna IS looking pretty freaky.

I do miss the skillful rock bands of yesteryear. Eventually they started sucking and fell victim to their own excesses and got smashed by grunge and pop music has descended into the same four chord loop ever since. It's been 25 years since I looked forward to a pop/rock music album release. At the same time there are thousands of incredibly skilled musicians on youtube playing amazing covers. We are overdue for something new. Go figure.

Hydra009

Here's the sort of self-critical stuff I can get behind:

Cassia

That's good but that high-up message is totally lost on conservatives. Archie Bunker was at the correct level. Too bad it can't be done in this "real way" anymore. Probably explains some of the recent rise of ignorant nationalism. I re-watched "Blazing Saddles" the other day. Holy Fuck!

Cassia

The equal and opposite misguided reaction is real. This sentiment is more dangerous than any nutjob klan rally because the center moving to the right is the real enabler.