News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I voted, did you?

Started by Hydra009, November 04, 2022, 09:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 07, 2022, 07:39:07 PMUnless we ditch the two-party system (unlikely) or the Republican Party dies, allowing for a less evil party to take their place (not happening in my lifetime), I will always vote Democrat. It would be nice if we had an actual Liberal party, though, as opposed to our current Conservative Lite Democratic Party.
I ran with a rough crowd when I was a teen. We hated all authority. In fact, every time a cop would drive by, we would all yell "pigs". We used to say "fuck the man" all the time. Seems pretty funny to me now. It was radical, Che shirts were in.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 07, 2022, 03:28:54 PMExactly how I feel!  Wondering:  Should I seriously think of supporting a third party? 
That would definitely be a good thing.  But the public is still very split on Leopards Eating Faces and Unpleasant Adult Human Being.  Some real nail-biters between those two.  But if (and only if) we could go about it in a way that doesn't result in face-eating, I'd be down with that.

SGOS

People may want a third party, or even a fifth, but legislators within the two party system, don't want any more.  Guess who has the power to maintain the current system?  After Ralph Nader's challenge and Ross Perot before him, there can be third parties, but they are no longer allowed on the playing field.  Trump represents a third party, but to be successful he had to declare himself a Republican. Nader could have done that and had a good chance at being elected, but he would have been absorbed into an organization that rejected everything he stood for.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Shiranu on December 07, 2022, 06:52:03 PMWho I voted for- any chance to help them stay on the ballot and perhaps have more money to spend on advertising and get their message out seems like a positive to me, so I can honestly say it's the first election as an adult that I truly feel good about.

I also live in a state where my vote doesn't matter, so I admit I have more freedom to stick to my ideology. I don't know what I would do in a state with fair elections, it would honestly depend on the candidates.

The greens didn't even make the ticket here in 20 or 22. In last month's election there were a handful of libertarians. Most of them are further right than your average republican despite having several core principles in common with the greens. There were a lot of local and several state offices where a republican ran unopposed.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on December 08, 2022, 07:19:58 AMThe greens didn't even make the ticket here in 20 or 22. In last month's election there were a handful of libertarians. Most of them are further right than your average republican despite having several core principles in common with the greens. There were a lot of local and several state offices where a republican ran unopposed.
After Nader let go of the reigns, the Green Party just fell apart.  It went off in odd tangents that were embarrassing, and sometimes produced embarrassing candidates.  Although, it started out as a party I could give my full support to.  The Green party is done for, but that doesn't mean a new party with the original goals of the Greens can't be viable. But with Republicans and Democrats now in control of the system, third parties are a bigger long shot than before.  Even with more and more Democrats being disenfranchised from the system devoted to the wealthiest donors, I don't see any viable third parties in the near future.

We could consider changing the Democratic Party from within, but whoever controls the Party is not going to let that happen.  I'll be long dead before any real change takes place.  Oddly, I'm kind of OK with that, because when I'm dead, I won't care about anything anymore.

aitm

Quote from: SGOS on December 08, 2022, 08:07:54 AMA Oddly, I'm kind of OK with that, because when I'm dead, I won't care about anything anymore.
Well...you just think that...but wait until your dead...then you will think different buddy....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on December 10, 2022, 04:32:25 AMWell...you just think that...but wait until your dead...then you will think different buddy....
OK, thanks.