News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Gospel of Mary

Started by Shiranu, November 19, 2022, 02:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

I had never really looked into it, and my goodness is it an interesting story of pettiness and gender equality that got people in trouble.

The Gospel of Mary was the Holy Text of a cult of Christians who followed a woman leader's teachings for 100s of years... who practiced social equality and a form of Christianity where... Christ didn't actually matter. It was all about doing good deeds and realizing the material world doesn't exist... essentially, the Buddha's teachings.

As you might guess... gender equality, tolerance, good deeds and the theological implications of Jesus not mattering pissed off a few men who wiped this cult off the face of the Earth. All we have left is 3 heavily damaged fragments of the Gospel, but it is truly interesting stuff.

And why did this division ever start? What is the root story that has plagued Christianity with so much sexism?

Peter and Andrew get super pissed off that a woman could ever have been told knowledge by Jesus that everyone else hadn't - even though the gospels clearly showing Jesus stating that she is the only one who actually "gets" what he is saying. This isn't speculation, either - their condemnation of her as a woman can be found in the gospels as well.

Knowing their own history better than them is a good way to get past their defenses, no? 

So what do their followers do? Well, they listen to Peter and Andrew; women should have no voice! Women are terrible! And so their followers eventually decide to commit mass genocide and erase any existence of their history off the face of the Earth; just a tattered book and some pages are all we have left of a people who practiced tolerance.

As an atheist, I find that a useful tale (in more detailed form, of course) to have; not only is it a fictional story, but it's one that features a petty sexist pair of dudebros and a wise woman... and you chose to simp for the dudebros. To choose to follow a religion that practiced this sort of ethnic-genocide is simply incomprehensible to me. I have no problem with Christians, I just hope they follow the teachings of James and Myriam rather than Peter... because to follow the teachings of Peter is frankly as utterly devoid of morality as can be found and James was quite clear what he thought about that - there was a reason Martin Luther wanted to remove James from the Bible; it teaches people are not saved through faith alone, but through good deed - that believing faith alone could save you was itself an evil way of thinking.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Greatest I am

"It was all about doing good deeds and realizing the material world doesn't exist."

I agree with your first but see the Gnostic Christian view of matter the opposite of what you are thinking. IOW, the material world exists, and it is evolving perfection.

Here is what I base that on.

The Gnostic Christian reality.
Gnostic Christian Jesus said,  "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all.
[And after they have reigned they will rest.]"

"If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.

If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.

Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.

[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.

But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

As you can see from that quote, if we see God's kingdom all around us and inside of us, we cannot think that the world is anything but evolving perfection. Most just don't see it and live in poverty. Let me try to make you see the world the way I do.

Here is a mind exercise. Tell me what you see when you look around. The best that can possibly be, given our past history, or an ugly and imperfect world?

Candide.
"It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end."

That means that we live in the best of all possible worlds, because it is the only possible world, given all the conditions at hand and the history that got us here. That is an irrefutable statement given entropy and the anthropic principle.

Regards
DL

Mike Cl

Quote from: Greatest I am on November 27, 2022, 10:47:51 AMThat means that we live in the best of all possible worlds, because it is the only possible world, given all the conditions at hand and the history that got us here. That is an irrefutable statement given entropy and the anthropic principle.

Regards
DL

Actually, nothing you said is factual or real.  It is simply a fiction made up to make people like you feel better and answer all those annoying unknowns.  Nothing was 'created' by 'gods' or anything else.  Both your god and Jesus are simply fictions; propaganda pieces made up to fleece the people. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Greatest I am on November 27, 2022, 10:47:51 AM"It was all about doing good deeds and realizing the material world doesn't exist."

I agree with your first but see the Gnostic Christian view of matter the opposite of what you are thinking. IOW, the material world exists, and it is evolving perfection.

Here is what I base that on.

The Gnostic Christian reality.
Gnostic Christian Jesus said,  "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all.
[And after they have reigned they will rest.]"

"If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.

If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.

Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.

[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.

But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

As you can see from that quote, if we see God's kingdom all around us and inside of us, we cannot think that the world is anything but evolving perfection. Most just don't see it and live in poverty. Let me try to make you see the world the way I do.

Here is a mind exercise. Tell me what you see when you look around. The best that can possibly be, given our past history, or an ugly and imperfect world?

Candide.
"It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end."

That means that we live in the best of all possible worlds, because it is the only possible world, given all the conditions at hand and the history that got us here. That is an irrefutable statement given entropy and the anthropic principle.

Regards
DL

To summarize, the world is evolving perfection and if you believe otherwise you have no insight. Try harder.

Greatest I am

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 27, 2022, 12:05:09 PMActually, nothing you said is factual or real.  It is simply a fiction made up to make people like you feel better and answer all those annoying unknowns.  Nothing was 'created' by 'gods' or anything else.  Both your god and Jesus are simply fictions; propaganda pieces made up to fleece the people. 

Of course they are, stupid.

The God you are talking about is not mine.

You might want to re-read, to correct yourself and your reading comprehension, but I doubt you have the intellect.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Quote from: GSOgymrat on November 27, 2022, 03:29:44 PMTo summarize, the world is evolving perfection and if you believe otherwise you have no insight. Try harder.

More like out-sight as people are seeing what they are looking at.

Here is where I hope we us English the same way.

I said nothing of us evolving perfectly, as I could not define that. I see it different from saying evolving perfection.

Can you define your term?

Regards
DL

Mike Cl

Quote from: Greatest I am on November 29, 2022, 01:43:13 PMOf course they are, stupid.

You might want to re-read, to correct yourself and your reading comprehension, but I doubt you have the intellect.

Regards
DL

Quote from: Greatest I am on November 29, 2022, 01:43:13 PMOf course they are, stupid.

Regards
DL

Of course I'm stupid, I don't agree with you.  Yet I'm not the one pushing a belief that has not a shred of proof.  If there is only one god, then how could I be referring to a different one--oh, I keep forgetting I'm the stupid one.  So, for you then, there are many gods and yours is simply the best? 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Greatest I am on November 29, 2022, 01:49:51 PMMore like out-sight as people are seeing what they are looking at.

Here is where I hope we us English the same way.

I said nothing of us evolving perfectly, as I could not define that. I see it different from saying evolving perfection.

Can you define your term?

Regards
DL

Quote from: Greatest I am on November 27, 2022, 10:47:51 AMAs you can see from that quote, if we see God's kingdom all around us and inside of us, we cannot think that the world is anything but evolving perfection.

I referenced your term, not mine, so I'm not going to define it.

I'm not going to have a conversation with you.

Greatest I am

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 29, 2022, 04:15:53 PMOf course I'm stupid, I don't agree with you.  Yet I'm not the one pushing a belief that has not a shred of proof.  If there is only one god, then how could I be referring to a different one--oh, I keep forgetting I'm the stupid one.  So, for you then, there are many gods and yours is simply the best? 

If not the best, I would switch to the best.

All honest people would follow their conscience.

Regards
DL

M

Quote from: Greatest I am on February 18, 2023, 12:59:19 PMIf not the best, I would switch to the best.
S
QuoteAll honest people would follow their conscience.
U

Mike Cl

Quote from: Greatest I am on February 18, 2023, 12:59:19 PMIf not the best, I would switch to the best.

All honest people would follow their conscience.

Regards
DL
And that is what I do.

Greatest I am

Quote from: ManUfan on February 18, 2023, 03:35:46 PMSounds a bit wishy washy to me. Like a football fan supporting whatever team is topping the league.Unless they have an ulterior motive of course.

Your team is your mind when it comes to morals.

Keep your poor notions and do not replace them with better notions if that is your way.

Regards
DL

M

Quote from: Greatest I am on November 29, 2022, 01:43:13 PMThe God you are talking about is not mine.

W

M

Quote from: Greatest I am on February 19, 2023, 09:40:18 AMYour team is your mind when it comes to morals.

Keep your poor notions and do not replace them with better notions if that is your way.

Regards
DL

F

Blackleaf

Quote from: Greatest I am on February 19, 2023, 09:40:18 AMYour team is your mind when it comes to morals.

Regards
DL

If there are better notions, show how they are better, and they will probably change. Can't do that with a religious person. If the Bible says so, you can't argue with it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--