News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Tea party standing up for "choice"

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, March 27, 2014, 12:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Except it's the exact opposite of choice instead wanting to allow employers to choose for you.
They're co-opting the left's language of the abortion movement to insert it into Hobby Lobby's bid to fuck all with the SCOTUS case.
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/03/tea-party-patriots-hobby-lobby-jenny-beth-martin
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Alaric I

This is fuckin retarded.  Your personal religious views shouldn't be reflected on your company.  Seeing as you may hire people from other religions, your personal beliefs need to be checked at the door.  If SCOTUS agrees with Hobby Lobby, what's to keep them from discrimination based on sexual orientation, religious beliefs, or anything else they don't agree with?

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Alaric I on March 27, 2014, 01:19:27 AM
This is fuckin retarded.  Your personal religious views shouldn't be reflected on your company.  Seeing as you may hire people from other religions, your personal beliefs need to be checked at the door.  If SCOTUS agrees with Hobby Lobby, what's to keep them from discrimination based on sexual orientation, religious beliefs, or anything else they don't agree with?
Nothing at all. And it can go much further because they're going to be able to cite any bible bullshit they want...possible stoning to death of employees perhaps?

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

FinalSomnia

Quote from: Jason78 on March 27, 2014, 06:11:15 AM
THIS IS AMERICA!
THIS IS AMERICA, AND I LOVE AMERICA!

I

LOVE

AMERICA!

(Cue Fear Factory's "Big God/Raped Souls")
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 27, 2014, 12:29:49 AM
Except it's the exact opposite of choice instead wanting to allow employers to choose for you.
They're co-opting the left's language of the abortion movement to insert it into Hobby Lobby's bid to fuck all with the SCOTUS case.
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/03/tea-party-patriots-hobby-lobby-jenny-beth-martin
I always assumed that the Tea Party was formed as a means of protest against a Democratically elected president.  So of course they are going to protest anything he does.  They always say, "No, No.  We represent the voice of those who are tired of huge government spending, but we never heard a peep from them all the while Bush was borrowing money and cutting taxes while foisting an expensive and unnecessary war on the American public.  That being said, they have been effective at gaining conservative policies, even during a so called "liberal" presidency.  I think their strategy is quite effective.  They may act kind of clownish, but they are advancing a conservative agenda, even if it's at the expense of a few moderate Republicans.

AllPurposeAtheist

An interesting take on Sebilious (sp) vs Hobby Lobby.
From David the Sandman over at Dailykos.
QuoteIm observing this cackfest court case, as are many of my fellow tea sipping pith helmet wearing countrymen, with rotating combinations of slack jawed amazement and snorty nose sniggers. I saw yesterday, with some slight relief, a positive shift when one of the judges played a little with hypothetical possibilities as a result of the case swinging in the favor of Hobby Lobby and its claimed right to disregard sections of law based on "sincerely held faith", thus extending the narrow definitions of right and wrong based on superstitions and faith held by the company owners all the way down from the boardroom to the bloke who holds the doors open and packs bags at the checkout.

Their argument seems to be "I own the company, so this whole company, its assets, resources and employees are all to be considered (Insert My Faith Here)".

Strikes me as some twisted version of Mormons doing the hijack baptisms and making dead people Mormon. In this case its the owners making a whole company a member of their church.

So....ever one to play the game for the games sake, like a true Bit gent, lets play hypothetical what ifs.....

Sandman Corp is a private company owned by me.... Dave The Sandman. I am Sandman Corp, Sandman Corp is me....and lets say a national franchise of stores employing a few thousand shmucks I throw the scraps down to.

Dave the Sandman is a Jehovah's Witness, so now I declare that Sandman Corp is a Jehovah's Witness as well.

Im going to make the door greeters hand out copies of Watchtower and simper sincerely at people coming in. Im not going to allow any member of staff to have any form of interaction with Atheists. None at all....

Does that now also mean I can refuse to allow any medical insurance money to go towards ANY medical procedure that involves blood transfusions?

Sorry Billy the Butcher...I know you sliced your hand off in the ham slicer but I cant be paying for your medical treatment as my faiths says blood transfusions are eeeeeeevil.

Dave The Sandman takes a tumble one day and having reduced his IQ to critically low levels through brain damage suddenly thinks all that Jehovah stuff is nonsense and Xenu is where it is at. So I get me off to a Scientology will power crushing centre, and buy the whole hog. Im stinking rich so fly through the levels and shed me some Thetans. Now Im a committed follower of Cap'n Ron and his Church of Scientology so is Sandman Corp. Hail Ron! We are Scientologists!

So now, when any employee suffers from mental problems like, say, stress induced depression and needs counseling or treatment, does Sandman Corp have to pay for that on the medical insurance, or can I now have Sandman Corp exclude all forms of insurance coverage for mental illness cover?

As we all know.... Scientology says psychologists, psychiatry and psychotherapy are eeeeeeeeevil. 

.................................................................................

Having been bilked of a few mil by Tom Cruise and John Travolta's buddies, I finally come to my senses and see the light..... the sweet sweet light of Jeebus! I gets me some revelation across the nation, and join the Church of Christ, Scientist. Hallelujah praaaayse Jeebus!

I, and thus Sandman Corp, are now committed fully fledged Christian Scientists! Can I get me an Amen?

Well, as a committed Christian Scientist I dont believe in any form of medicine. You dont need medicine when you have the healing power of prayer.

Now....about this company medical insurance. Yeah, forget about that all together brothers and sisters. Here is a Bible, there is the floor. Now kneel with me and lets pray that sickness away.

Hospital you say? Uh huh! Sorry....Sandman Corp is a Christian Scientist. No hospital or doctors for you! Medicine is eeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil!

..................................................................................................

And that my pedigree chums is just the start of this water slide along the lawns of the Garden of Eden (which as Mittens Mc R Money will tell you basks beneath the shining glory of planet Kobol somewhere down in Missouri, USA).

If that shitesack in a gown Scalia and his chums get their way, and open that door Hobby Lobby are kicking in right now.... the above are only three of many many heads of the Hydra you will be living with from then on.

Have fun chums....and here is why I'm so glad this song sums it all up for me:

https://www.youtube.com/...

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/27/1287716/-The-Hobby-Lobby-Slippery-Slope

Will Hobby Lobby aka SandmanCorp be allowed to offer up female employees to be raped if SandmanCorp runs into a bit of debt? Talk about a slipping slope!

Mermaid

Orthopedic surgery is against my religion, so I don't want my employees to have access to it.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Quote from: Mermaid on March 29, 2014, 09:21:14 AM
Orthopedic surgery is against my religion, so I don't want my employees to have access to it.
Now that puts it into perspective quite well.

AllPurposeAtheist

If you want to put it in context check out the thread on DailyKos, http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/28/1287685/-Cartoon-Religious-Liberty-for-nbsp-Corporations and its accompanying cartoon. Pretty good and scarey too.  :shifty:

RobbyPants

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 27, 2014, 12:29:49 AM

It's a terrible argument. It's not like the government is mandating that they give people birth control. They're mandating they give them insurance which may or may not be used to obtain birth control. This is not a violation of someone's religious beliefs. For one thing, they're already given their employees a paycheck which could be used or not used to get birth control. It's the same thing!

Still, I can see them trying to use the word choice to win support. Gay rights are advancing because people realize there's not a single good secular argument for unfair treatment. At the end of the day, they realize the argument is about freedom and an anti-gay stance will soon be on the wrong side of history. I bet they're trying to adopt that whole pro-liberty thing to see if it can get them some traction.

AllPurposeAtheist

Of course they are. Pro liberty is pro liberalism, but in the majority of peoples minds liberalism means the same thing as liberty. It's the same root word.
Conservatives love to try to use orwellian ideas, good is bad, up is down, black is white, etc., to confuse people. The more confused the better.