Do you believe bullying has a scientific basis?

Started by Primal, April 24, 2023, 03:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primal

I was reading one of my most treasured books, "The Professor in the Cage: Why Men Fight And Why We Like To Watch" and I chanced upon a passage where the author asserted that bullying is natural and everywhere. I agreed... So far so good... But then he said this (paraphrased):

Bullies have more success in dating.

Fucking what?? No they don't. lmao. I went through elementary school, middle school, and high school. Bullies ain't got shit against the kind guys. I can recall countless examples of this throughout my life.

Maybe the author was talking about a very shallow type of bullying. In that case it's true, but those are more "bad boys" than actual bullies.

What's the deal here? What does he mean? Was he simply dead wrong?

Bro, most true bullies who don't knock off their macho-pugnacity crap end up in prison. Who the hell can they date in prison?

Mr.Obvious

I got bullied a bit in high school.
Not to the point of being stuck in a locker or getting wedgied in public or anything.

Now... I don´t want to excuse bullying, in any way, shape or form.
The teaumatic and horrendous shit some people have gone through is not to be swept under the rug.
But... in my specific case of ´mild bullying´, which as unpleasant and demoralizing as it was back in my youth... in hindsight: to me now seems like a consequence, at least in part, of me not fitting in and conforming. And not like I was an emo or a got or anything. No; I was antisociaal, out of shape and smug as fuck. And through those things, I personally, called upon myself some of the bullying which I now see as an almost subconsciece way for my Peers to correct me in my more undesireable traits.

In the way that we are social animals and in the function that bullying plays in making behavior uniform and predictable: I do believe there to be a scientific basis and even social 'reason´ for bullying. Not that I agree with bullying, if that makes sense.

As far as dating and sex goes.
I guess there is something to be said that being a certain type of bullying can project an air of confidence and stability, which a lot of people find attractive.
And being bullying rather than bullied on the whole raised your social standing, which a lot of people care about too, consciously or subconciously.

Also: most bullies wind up in prison?
You don´t think matt gaetz, mtg and boebert seem like a bullies when they are hounding innocent people in their sham hearings?
You don´t think there are bullies in the Police?
That there aren´t bully-lawyers or bullied in repo-businessess.
Hell, i've met bullying nurses, single-parents, volunteers, ...
I don´t think being a bully is a defining trait for winding up in prison.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Primal

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 24, 2023, 03:42:45 AMI got bullied a bit in high school.
Not to the point of being stuck in a locker or getting wedgied in public or anything.

Now... I don´t want to excuse bullying, in any way, shape or form.
The teaumatic and horrendous shit some people have gone through is not to be swept under the rug.
But... in my specific case of ´mild bullying´, which as unpleasant and demoralizing as it was back in my youth... in hindsight: to me now seems like a consequence, at least in part, of me not fitting in and conforming. And not like I was an emo or a got or anything. No; I was antisociaal, out of shape and smug as fuck. And through those things, I personally, called upon myself some of the bullying which I now see as an almost subconsciece way for my Peers to correct me in my more undesireable traits.

In the way that we are social animals and in the function that bullying plays in making behavior uniform and predictable: I do believe there to be a scientific basis and even social 'reason´ for bullying. Not that I agree with bullying, if that makes sense.

As far as dating and sex goes.
I guess there is something to be said that being a certain type of bullying can project an air of confidence and stability, which a lot of people find attractive.
And being bullying rather than bullied on the whole raised your social standing, which a lot of people care about too, consciously or subconciously.

Also: most bullies wind up in prison?
You don´t think matt gaetz, mtg and boebert seem like a bullies when they are hounding innocent people in their sham hearings?
You don´t think there are bullies in the Police?
That there aren´t bully-lawyers or bullied in repo-businessess.
Hell, i've met bullying nurses, single-parents, volunteers, ...
I don´t think being a bully is a defining trait for winding up in prison.

It's tricky to truly define bullying. I've been called a bully before when all I was doing was being myself. I've been bullied by bullies before. I've had non-bullies punch me in the face while actual bullies do indirect passive-aggressive crap.

We can't put bullying in a rigid box because people in general are smart. They get away with shit all the time.

But as far as bullies winding up in prison, there is a deeper point I was making. It is this: They don't last long. If they do, they don't get very far.

To give you an idea, the most successful-in-life bully I've ever met was just a fucking truck driver with a meager salary and a borderline trailer park house. He was also extremely uneducated and desperately tried to look sophisticated in every social opportunity he could find. The other bullies I've met were losers compared to him. I used to have a co-worker who tried to shake me down for gas money and he ended up back in prison two months later. He was a parole. I've met another one who literally ended up homeless the last time I saw him.

I personally do not condone illegalizing bullying because it's extremely tricky. They will always pop up. But we all can take comfort knowing they are bound to piss off the wrong person. They victimized people when the people were most vulnerable. Pretty soon they'll step on the wrong shoes.