Tell us about your local indigenous peoples

Started by Cassia, August 27, 2022, 01:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luther Martini

Quote from: Shiranu on October 10, 2022, 06:33:10 PMYep, this map actually showed me several places I've been to all my life that apparently are named after Indigenous tribes.

Same here.  For example, I never knew that Waco (aka Jerusalem on the Brazos) was actually the name of an indigenous tribe.  But then, I never spent any time there, just drove through many times.  The overall Baptistness of the place was a natural repellent that made me want to get out of there as soon as I could.

Shiranu

Quote from: Luther Martini on October 11, 2022, 08:03:17 AMSame here.  For example, I never knew that Waco (aka Jerusalem on the Brazos) was actually the name of an indigenous tribe.  But then, I never spent any time there, just drove through many times.  The overall Baptistness of the place was a natural repellent that made me want to get out of there as soon as I could.
Drove through Waco just a week ago, that was the big one that caught my attention.

It's... indeed very religious, even for Texas. Not a coincidence that a religious cult that had a stand-off with the FBI took place there of all places.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cassia

In front of our house is 1/2 acre of virgin, old-growth forest. We are not allowed to mess with it, as if we ever would. There is this ancient dead, live-oak tree with a five-foot diameter trunk in there. It takes a ghastly form now. There is a rabbit hole at its base and a hollowed-out owl place above my head.  I understand it can take centuries to grow that large.

I wonder, did a weary Native hang up his bow or net on a branch and rest against that then-young oak? Was it a landmark for them in their travels? Did they listen the owl hoot at 3 AM like I do?