Have you guys ever heard of Thrill Kill for ps1?

Started by nuclear, August 30, 2022, 12:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuclear

I looked at some videos of this game along with reading a few articles about it.

It looks like a pretty interesting four-player fighting game, with tons of gore, sexual themes, and disturbing depictions of mental illness.

But unfortunately it was cancelled in 1998, even though development for it was 99% complete.

It was cancelled by EA (the publisher) for being too violent. And they wouldn't even sell the game to other publishers who were willing to buy it.

Well, at least we have roms of it leaked online. I think I might go ahead and give it a download because it looks pretty intriguing.

Blackleaf

If they didn't want a violent game, why did they greenlight it? Have they never heard of a popular series called Mortal Kombat? This was even before EA decided to rely on games as a service, and claimed no one wanted single player games.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

nuclear

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 30, 2022, 01:09:11 PMIf they didn't want a violent game, why did they greenlight it? Have they never heard of a popular series called Mortal Kombat? This was even before EA decided to rely on games as a service, and claimed no one wanted single player games.

The original publisher was Virgin Interactive. EA bought Virgin and gained publishing rights to Thrill Kill.

Shiranu

QuoteBut unfortunately it was cancelled in 1998, even though development for it was 99% complete.

"Unfortunately"... I suppose that was one word for it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur