Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

James Webb Telescope

Started by Hydra009, December 19, 2021, 09:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

That settles it.  Pluto is a planet!

PopeyesPappy

They have added readouts for 5 more temperature sensors to the tracking page. All on the cold side.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

drunkenshoe

That looks like a Mercury - Moon hybrid with too much make up on it to me,lol.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 02, 2022, 10:22:12 AM
That looks like a Mercury - Moon hybrid with too much make up on it to me,lol.
Don't body-shame planetoids.  :P

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 26, 2022, 07:37:34 PM
I've been seeing this picture floating around. Is this an actual photograph of Pluto from James Webb?
We're not getting any images from the Webb for five or six months yet.  It's a lovely Pluto mosaic, though.

JWST *has* had First Light, but only for alignment purposes.  The magnitude of the aligning process was described thusly: if the Webb compound mirror were the size of the continental United States, each segment would be the size of Texas, and at that scale would need to be aligned with an accuracy of 1.5" to each other.  The fine adjustments are really unspeakably fine (movements of a fraction of the wavelengths of light to be observed); it's expected to take three months.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: trdsf on February 07, 2022, 12:46:21 PM
JWST *has* had First Light

And this is what HD84406 looks like to the NIRCam detectors before alignment. 18 different images of 1 star.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

trdsf

In addition to the alignment image, it's also taken a selfie
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

There's a three minute youtube on what they did there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

There's a three minute youtube on what they did there.

https://youtu.be/oTQvKuvdcmM
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I hope it's galaxy photos are better than its selfie.  I'm not going to make to big an issue out of this because it was never designed for selfies.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on February 12, 2022, 10:16:56 AM
I hope it's galaxy photos are better than its selfie.  I'm not going to make to big an issue out of this because it was never designed for selfies.
The selfies are to allow the mirrors to be adjusted to their precise places. Still a work in progress.
PZ Myers

SGOS

OK, that makes sense.  Is that why they have so many pictures of the same star in different positions?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on February 12, 2022, 10:46:57 AM
OK, that makes sense.  Is that why they have so many pictures of the same star in different positions?
Sixteen panels(#?) all have to be tweaked into the receptor. They didn't try to get them perfect BEFORE A VIOLENT SHAKING as they went out to L5ish.
PZ Myers