News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Greetings!

Started by Pnerd, May 21, 2022, 11:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pnerd

Hello, everyone. Atheist from Bangladesh here. Hope to have a great time in the forum.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
– Douglas Adams

Dark Lightning

Pnerd

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
– Douglas Adams

Blackleaf

Hey there! Welcome aboard! Why don't you tell us more about yourself?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

aitm

Welcome to OZ.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Pnerd

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 21, 2022, 04:57:37 PMHey there! Welcome aboard! Why don't you tell us more about yourself?
What do you want to know?
– Douglas Adams

the_antithesis

Blackleaf

Quote from: Pnerd on May 21, 2022, 05:41:18 PMWhat do you want to know?

Anything at all. What are your interests? How long have you been an atheist? Do you prefer tea or coffee?
--Fulke Greville--

Pnerd

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 22, 2022, 01:47:52 PMAnything at all. What are your interests? How long have you been an atheist? Do you prefer tea or coffee?
I'm interested in maths and science, philosophy, and magic (as a performing art as in magic tricks, not as supernatural woo-woo). In fact, magic played an important role in becoming an atheist because it showed me how easy humans are (and can be) deceived.

I've been an atheist for about 20 years.

I don't drink either tea or coffee.
– Douglas Adams

Blackleaf

Quote from: Pnerd on May 22, 2022, 04:03:16 PMI'm interested in maths and science, philosophy, and magic

I cast Fireba--!

Quote from: Pnerd on May 22, 2022, 04:03:16 PM(as a performing art as in magic tricks, not as supernatural woo-woo).

Quote from: Pnerd on May 22, 2022, 04:03:16 PMIn fact, magic played an important role in becoming an atheist because it showed me how easy humans are (and can be) deceived.

Especially when they've been brainwashed since birth, and grew up in a bubble, surrounded by family and carefully selected friends who all believe the same things. Interesting that magic is what led you to this realization.

Quote from: Pnerd on May 22, 2022, 04:03:16 PMI've been an atheist for about 20 years.

That's a long time. What were you before? Hindu?

Quote from: Pnerd on May 22, 2022, 04:03:16 PMI don't drink either tea or coffee.

--Fulke Greville--

Pnerd

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 23, 2022, 12:26:00 AMInteresting that magic is what led you to this realization.

Magic is one of the things that was responsible for my deconversion. My interest in science was another thing. Interestingly, I later learned that there are/were quite a few magicians in the skeptical movement, for example, James Randi, Penn & Teller, Jamy Ian Swiss and even Houdini.

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 23, 2022, 12:26:00 AMThat's a long time. What were you before? Hindu?

I'm an ex-Muslim.

– Douglas Adams

Blackleaf

Ex-Muslim? It can be risky leaving that religion, even where I live in America. I'd wager your family doesn't know.
--Fulke Greville--

Pnerd

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 23, 2022, 08:41:24 PMEx-Muslim? It can be risky leaving that religion, even where I live in America. I'd wager your family doesn't know.
My parents know. But that's all. None of my friends, relatives or colleagues know (I hope).
– Douglas Adams

Mike Cl

Quote from: Pnerd on May 23, 2022, 09:27:50 PMMy parents know. But that's all. None of my friends, relatives or colleagues know (I hope).
Welcome, Pnerd!!  All new and interesting voices are welcome.  I hope you stick around for awhile.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?