News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Roe v wade

Started by Mr.Obvious, May 04, 2022, 02:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Heard the news today.
Disgusted. Surprised. Surprised that i´m surprised.
I´ts fucking surreal. I hope the suprême court can somehow be stopped in this.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

My opinion only.  Roe v Wade will be toast soon.  Next job will be to dissolve all same sex marriage.  Then on to the New Deal programs; dismantle all of what FDR was able to put into place, including social security.  Along the way, make christanity the 'national' religion.  The repubs have put in the work on the local level to carry this stuff through.  Part of the problem is that the dems have simply sat on their hands 'taking the high road' for so long that they are simply ineffectual.  And even in victory, they manage to defeat themselves and let the country down.  I will not live to see all of it, but it will come to pass.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Dark Lightning

^ This is a joke, right? Right!?

Hydra009

Rules change when they inconvenience conservatives.

FreethinkingSceptic

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 09, 2022, 08:07:46 PM

Rules change when they inconvenience conservatives.
Okay, that's just another dime-a-dozen talking point. I'm not aware of @BillKristol arguing in favor of the strawman in question, unless you have something I've missed.

FreethinkingSceptic

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 04, 2022, 07:02:32 PMMy opinion only.  Roe v Wade will be toast soon.  Next job will be to dissolve all same sex marriage.  Then on to the New Deal programs; dismantle all of what FDR was able to put into place, including social security.  Along the way, make christanity the 'national' religion.  The repubs have put in the work on the local level to carry this stuff through.  Part of the problem is that the dems have simply sat on their hands 'taking the high road' for so long that they are simply ineffectual.  And even in victory, they manage to defeat themselves and let the country down.  I will not live to see all of it, but it will come to pass.
Cool. Opinions are dime a dozen.

As far as the argument here goes. I guess I can see a tangential link between overturning Roe vs. Wade and same-sex marriages.

But I'm not seeing much of a connecting between that and the "New Deal", especially since a large bi-partisan demographic benefits from it.

Same with making Christianity the "national religion" - that would require repealing the 1st Amendment, unless you care to make another argument for how the Supreme Court would go about that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: FreethinkingSceptic on May 16, 2022, 11:50:29 PMCool. Opinions are dime a dozen.

As is yours.  Maybe I'd argue that yours are about a nickel a dozen.  If that.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Jason Harvestdancer

I'm pro-choice and don't like Roe V. Wade.  It was bad judicial law.  This should be at least up to congress or maybe constitutional amendment.  Failing either of those, it depends on the state.

I can rest easy knowing that California will be the abortion provider for the entire western half of the US.  For those who care about this part, they will be government funded to the ninth month.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on May 18, 2022, 09:38:18 PMI'm pro-choice and don't like Roe V. Wade.  It was bad judicial law.  This should be at least up to congress or maybe constitutional amendment.  Failing either of those, it depends on the state.

I can rest easy knowing that California will be the abortion provider for the entire western half of the US.  For those who care about this part, they will be government funded to the ninth month.

Not even. The gov of Oklahoma is already railing against tribal lands about not allowing them to perform abortions. You're also pretty clueless about other states where abortions may be performed. It's not just California, bub. And funded to the 9th month? Really? You really should educate yourself on the reality. You're being a poe, right?

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on May 18, 2022, 09:38:18 PMI'm pro-choice and don't like Roe V. Wade.  It was bad judicial law.  This should be at least up to congress or maybe constitutional amendment.  Failing either of those, it depends on the state.

This is going to hit poorer people outside of California like a motherfucker though, Jason.

This is going to utterly ruin lives and lead to increased deaths.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 19, 2022, 12:37:06 AMThis is going to utterly ruin lives and lead to increased deaths.

That appears to be their goal.

Mermaid

That's great for you. You won't ever have to worry about it, being a guy.
This is not just about abortion. It's a strong message to women that we are lesser beings, not capable of being trusted with our own bodies, and about disinterested parties making the absolute largest of life decisions for us.
Oppression of women is going to hurt us, badly, in the long run. Women are half the workforce and half the productivity. At least for now.
The decision to carry a pregnancy or not is unbelievably complicated, and one that anyone who has not been through it might not have the first fucking clue about.
The Lancet, one of the top medical journals in the world, has this on their cover this week:

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 18, 2022, 11:12:51 PMNot even. The gov of Oklahoma is already railing against tribal lands about not allowing them to perform abortions. You're also pretty clueless about other states where abortions may be performed. It's not just California, bub. And funded to the 9th month? Really? You really should educate yourself on the reality. You're being a poe, right?
And what happens in Oklahoma won't impact California's laws.

And yes, California is crazy enough to allow extremely late term abortions.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Jason Harvestdancer

Look, I realize a lot of people have hitched their wagon to Roe v. Wade.  However, even a cursory examination of the arguments (not the end result) shows that it is a bad decision.  Only the end result has any redeeming value to the case.  From a judicial and constitutional point of view it sucks.

For this to be a proper federal issue, it at least need a bill passed by the congress and signed by the president.  Perhaps it needs more, such as a constitutional amendment.  Without such a bill or amendment, it does need by constitutional law to be a matter for the states.  It isn't about a desired end result in that case, but about the decision actually being in accord with procedure, which is important even if you would rather focus on the end result.

Given that I am both pro-choice and anti-RvW, I am in a position that is neither liberal nor conservative.  I'm used to it.

So now some states will ban it, some states will allow it, and nobody is forbidden from crossing state lines.  The first state that tries banning crossing state lines will receive a constitutional smack-down, and it will be well deserved.

And yes, California is a crazy state and will be more than ready to offer abortion to anyone from any state, at the taxpayer dime, very late in pregnancy.