News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Satanic athiesm

Started by Dantalion, January 24, 2022, 11:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

I have no interest in groups, clubs or organizations of such that require to some degree, attendance and some type of order prescribed by anyone not me.......but I understand some people need to be part of something....meh.....a forum is about as far as i am willing to go to talk with people, let alone sit in a room with a dozen nut jobs dressed up for halloween....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

the_antithesis

Quote from: SGOS on January 25, 2022, 10:05:16 AM
We don't hear about Westboro Baptist Church anymore.  Are they planning what to do next?  About 5 years ago, I was visiting an old girlfriend in Kansas, and she drove me by the Phelps' family compound.  There were a handful of people outside protesting the church, but no one from the Church was outside protesting back.  I had the feeling they wished people would just leave them alone.  lol

WBC was a money making scheme. They would protest funerals of military personnel who died in Iraq and then sue for their first amendment rights thing. So the federal government made it illegal to do that and Phelps is dead so they can't think up a new scam.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 25, 2022, 09:38:46 AMI see Satanism as a tactic to challenge Christian privilege in America. Satanism works because it is  the dark side of Christian lore-- Christians cannot dismiss Satanism as not real without dismissing their own religion. Satanism can be particularly effective in the current culture since conservatives have adopted "religious freedom" as a propaganda slogan. Satanism is not about worshipping Satan any more than "religious freedom" is about freedom to practice a religion other than Christianity. Satanists are countercultural and troll Christians, e.g. when Satanist Temple members celebrated gay love with ritual at grave of Fred Phelps' mother (Westboro Baptist Church).
Agreed.  They're an excellent counter to theocrats who insist on "teaching" religion in schools (not that one) or religious monuments on public lands (not that one).  When their hypocrisy is revealed, it really undercuts their argument.

On the whole, I'd say that Satanists are useful allies of convenience, since we have common cause through our mutual disdain of theocrats as well as a lot of shared values, particularly when it comes to freedom of belief.  Though antireligious atheists tend to be put off by even the facade of religiosity and any sort of God/Satan talk, even if it is mostly in jest.  To say nothing of occultism/magic, which is certainly a strange preoccupation for a subgroup of self-described atheists and off-putting to the more scientific-minded atheists.

Blackleaf

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 25, 2022, 10:23:11 AM
I think they went down hill after Fred got dementia and eventually died in 2014. I also think they lost the culture war with the gays-- "God Hates Fags" is dated and just doesn't have the impact it once did. God Warriors have transitioned into antivaxers, Qanon, and Trumpists.

When I was a Christian (Pentecostal, Lutheran, Baptist), the Westboro church was often considered the example of what not to emulate. My Baptist church was even quick to point out that they weren't a part of any Baptist organization. Whether or not that's true, I don't know, but it was clear nobody wanted to be associated with them, even if they did agree with the overall message. My Baptist church was probably more offended by the protests at the military funerals than the "God hates fags" thing, though. People who serve on military are basically demigods to fundamentalists.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Simoon

In many ways, I think they are kind of silly.

But, they are good at pointing out Christian hypocrisy and privilege.

Problem is, so many Christians won't see it, because they are so buried in their privilege.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Simoon on January 26, 2022, 05:26:55 PM
In many ways, I think they are kind of silly.

But, they are good at pointing out Christian hypocrisy and privilege.

Problem is, so many Christians won't see it, because they are so buried in their privilege.

Hello there. I see this is your first post here. Why don't you introduce yourself in Introductions?
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

All two of the Satanists I've met have been cool dudes, so I don't have any problem with them. They seem harmless and in fact do some good by pointing out all the violations of church and state we do over here.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aitm

I guess, on second thought, I find it objectionable to tie atheism to satanism. Why? Why include us? Atheism is not satanism nor versa vice. This could be why idiot xians keep saying we worship the devil, when the fuckin devil is made up bullshit as well. Go off and do your thing….leave me out of it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

Quote from: aitm on January 28, 2022, 12:35:43 PM
I guess, on second thought, I find it objectionable to tie atheism to satanism. Why? Why include us? Atheism is not satanism nor versa vice. This could be why idiot xians keep saying we worship the devil, when the fuckin devil is made up bullshit as well. Go off and do your thing….leave me out of it.

I'm pretty sure Christians think we worship the devil because they see the world through the false dichotomy, where if you're not serving their god, you're serving Satan. That, and they can't wrap their heads around the idea that someone could just not believe in any gods. We must secretly know their God exists, and we just pretend we don't, because we want to sin.
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on January 28, 2022, 12:35:43 PM
"If you don't believe in God then you have to believe in Satan". So saith my hillbilly cousins. An' they kin't be wrong, theys speakin' fer GAWD!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Draconic Aiur

I was in a Levy satanic forum for a few months until I learned they batshit crazy

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

The dark forces of Satanism are nothing compared to the market forces of capitalism.

"What do you not understand about the word Fritos?" :)

Hydra009

They have their moments.  😈

GSOgymrat