News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Satanic athiesm

Started by Dantalion, January 24, 2022, 11:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dantalion

I was just curious to hear peoples thoughts on Satanic atheism (Church Of Satan, Satanic Temple).

PopeyesPappy

To much self. Not enough collective.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Cassia

I like what they do, countering religious misappropriation of gov't funds and public property. Plus, the reactions of xtians are sometimes funny.

the_antithesis

I dunno. Feels like making use of the n-word to fight racism.

Mr.Obvious

I know they exist, and sometimes hear them pop up doing something I broadly agree with. But I haven´t taken the time to learn about their organization in dept.

Not of much use, sorry.

Also, welcome to our little band of heathens.
Make an intro thread and tell us about yourself, whydoncha?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

I don't believe in Satan anymore than I do God.  There is no evidence for either.  I understand Satanists are making outrageous demands and protesting their right to their own foolishness in an attempt to shine a light on the religious foolishness that our hypocritical leaders pander to.  I understand the tactic, but I'm not sure if it's the right way to approach the problem of our government favoring foolishness.  Our government spends more than half their time engaging in foolishness, anyway, so what Satanists could achieve is but a drop in the bucket. 

But maybe we can only set straight one foolhardy pursuit at a time, so I tend to ignore them and say, "Let them do their thing."  But that is the same thing everyone else does about religious fanatics trying to take over public education, deciding what women should do with their bodies, who we can love legally, and turning democracy into a caliphate.  People just ignore religious fanatics and say, "Let them do their thing."

Since trying to talk sense to foolish nut bags has no effect, I can't really think of anything better than what Satanists are trying to do.  But wouldn't it be interesting if somehow it turned out that there was only one true god, and he was Satan?  Man oh man!  That would sure monkey wrench a whole bunch of idiots.

Gawdzilla Sama

Le Vey used the Satanic Bible (that he wrote) to show the fallacies in the Christian bible.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Dantalion on January 24, 2022, 11:23:33 PM
I was just curious to hear peoples thoughts on Satanic atheism (Church Of Satan, Satanic Temple).
It is simply the mis-use of the word 'atheist'. 

Who are you and why ask the question on this board?  Are you a member?  Are you a troll much like the christian trolls who fly by and ask similar questions?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 25, 2022, 08:53:08 AM
It is simply the mis-use of the word 'atheist'. 
I've met atheists with some strange ideas, but I've never actually met a Satanic atheist.  The atheists I know all operate on an intellectual level that is far removed from the God/Satan level of functioning.  There's not much reason to waste time in such an intellectual fog.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on January 25, 2022, 09:10:35 AM
I've met atheists with some strange ideas, but I've never actually met a Satanic atheist.  The atheists I know all operate on an intellectual level that is far removed from the God/Satan level of functioning.  There's not much reason to waste time in such an intellectual fog.
My experience is much the same.  I see no connection between a satanist and an atheist.  I'd even say it would not be possible to claim atheism and satanic worship at the same time.  Satanism is just another type of woo.  I must admit though, that I do like to watch christians getting their panties in a knot about satanists.  I get the feeling this person is just another troll passing by.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SGOS on January 25, 2022, 09:10:35 AM

I see Satanism as a tactic to challenge Christian privilege in America. Satanism works because it is  the dark side of Christian lore-- Christians cannot dismiss Satanism as not real without dismissing their own religion. Satanism can be particularly effective in the current culture since conservatives have adopted "religious freedom" as a propaganda slogan. Satanism is not about worshipping Satan any more than "religious freedom" is about freedom to practice a religion other than Christianity. Satanists are countercultural and troll Christians, e.g. when Satanist Temple members celebrated gay love with ritual at grave of Fred Phelps' mother (Westboro Baptist Church).

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 25, 2022, 09:38:46 AM
Satanism can be particularly effective in the current culture since conservatives have adopted "religious freedom" as a propaganda slogan. Satanism is not about worshipping Satan any more than "religious freedom" is about freedom to practice a religion other than Christianity.
I understand the strategy, and I even have fun watching these guys do their thing, because I get joke or the irony or whatever, and it's especially fun seeing that Christians don't get it.  Well, some Christians... the one's who show up here from time to time.

SGOS

We don't hear about Westboro Baptist Church anymore.  Are they planning what to do next?  About 5 years ago, I was visiting an old girlfriend in Kansas, and she drove me by the Phelps' family compound.  There were a handful of people outside protesting the church, but no one from the Church was outside protesting back.  I had the feeling they wished people would just leave them alone.  lol

GSOgymrat

I think they went down hill after Fred got dementia and eventually died in 2014. I also think they lost the culture war with the gays-- "God Hates Fags" is dated and just doesn't have the impact it once did. God Warriors have transitioned into antivaxers, Qanon, and Trumpists.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 25, 2022, 10:23:11 AM
I also think they lost the culture war with the gays-- "God Hates Fags" is dated and just doesn't have the impact it once did.
I wonder if they actually may have helped the gay movement by creating a backlash toward their own less than Christian behavior.  But who knows, I'm constantly surprised by how people think.