Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Will Putin Invade Ukraine?

Started by Cassia, January 20, 2022, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Hydra009

Hydra009

I'm sure you have all heard by now about the destruction of the Kakhovka dam.

What you probably haven't heard:
 It was deliberately destroyed by Russia's 205th Motorized Rifle Brigade, who intentionally raised the water levels, then blew up the dam, also releasing at least 150 tons of oil into the water, creating a huge ecological disaster.

Russia is a terrorist state.  Period.

Hydra009

What is the motivation for doing this?

Supposedly, it is to stymie the imminent Ukrainian counterattack, or to at least force operations to take place further to the east, making Ukrainian advances more predictable.

Though the military value of this is dubious at best, since while the floodwaters will stave off Ukrainian attacks for a few weeks, as the water recedes, it will likely be even easier to traverse than if the dam had stayed intact.  Also, much of the low-lying areas are in Russian-occupied territory, so Russian fortifications and minefields are being flooded as well.  The invaders even helpfully filmed some of their landmines washing away and smashing themselves on rocks, detonating harmlessly.  If that's their military strategy, it's a poor one.

There is a better explaination.  The Russians know they're going to lose a lot of territory to this counteroffensive and soon.  So they're deliberately doing as much damage as possible to Ukrainian infrastructure, civilians, and even the ecosystem in one last spiteful act.  It doesn't make logical sense because it's not driven by logic - but by hatred and fear and the sort of pettiness Russia has exhibited throughout the war.

Cassia

Yes, what a messed up move. I hope it backfires on the Putler.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on June 07, 2023, 11:58:32 AMYes, what a messed up move. I hope it backfires on the Putler.
Hopefully, it results in much more vigorous aid to Ukraine.  As far as I'm concerned, all red lines are submerged under murky floodwaters.

Hydra009

Though the dam is grabbing all the headlines, it's only a small portion of the frontline, and Ukraine is rocking Russia:

13 tanks and 37 artillery!  There is an information blackout on Ukrainian advances, so I can't get into detail, but I can safely say that they continue to make progress in the east and south.

Cassia

At least the Russians are not smart enough to wait until Ukraine had set up ponton bridges and got their troops and supplies assembled into the flood zone on the Eastern banks (assuming that is where they were headed).

Shiranu

Apparently destroying/ruining dams is something Russians have made a habit out of in occupied Zaporizhzhia - it's not the first time they've done this; they also are apparently making make-shift dams to flood roads & fields (presumably) to slow down the Ukrainian attack.

https://khpg.org/en/1608812358
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Ukraine demands that Russia pay reparations for dam destruction

Just tack it on to whatever else Russia will be paying to normalize trade relations post-Putin.  Or just tax Russian oil and natural gas until the figure is met.  Either way works.

Hydra009

18 tanks!  I believe that's a new record.

Hydra009

Back up to 1k a day!

Cassia

I saw a report that unfortunately some Leopard tanks and Bradley IFVs got destroyed. Russians have a lot of dug-in artillery and it's gonna happen. Russian propaganda factory is gonna go crazy.

Unbeliever

I read a report on my news feed that a bunch of Russian troops got wiped out by a flood caused by a blown-up dam. Both sides are blaming the other, of course. 🤔
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman