News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Will Putin Invade Ukraine?

Started by Cassia, January 20, 2022, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Kyiv sent some bombed out z-tanks to Warsaw as part of an art exhibit entitled "The Invincible Army" (the irony being that it was the Ukrainians who proved invincible, not the Russians, despite initial assumptions)

Quote"Ukrainian soldiers are defending not only their homeland, but also the security of Poland and the whole of Europe," Dworczyk continued, referring to the title of the exhibition."If it were not for the heroic resistance, determination and courage of Ukrainian soldiers and volunteers, ordinary civilians who took up arms overnight, it is very likely that Russian tanks would be at the Polish border today," he said.

Hydra009

Crowded shopping center in central Ukraine hit by russian missiles.  Around 1000 people there at the time of the attack.

Nowhere near any military targets.  This was a 100% deliberate act of terrorism.

It's abundantly clear that Russia cannot be trusted to abide by international law or basic morality.  After the war, Russia must demilitarize as a precondition for even the possiblity of an end to sanctions.

Hydra009

Russia says that Ukraine's plans to liberate Crimea from Russian occupation would be an act of war (read: threats)

But Russia also said that a bunch of stuff constituted an act of war, like sending Ukraine any sort of aid.

So I've gotta ask, is Russia prepared to do anything more terrible than what it's already doing?  If not, get stuffed.  If yes, all the more reason to double down on support for Ukraine.

Hydra009

Turkey agrees to Sweden and Finland joining NATO

Looks like there's nothing stopping those two countries from joining NATO.  Another tough break for Putin.  NATO will soon have a much larger border with Russia and more support for the three Baltic states.

Putin, who wanted NATO to stop expanding, has done more than anybody in causing it to expand and become more formidable than ever.

Hydra009

Ukraine to get guided shells for its artillery from the US

This will make their artillery strikes much more accurate than they have been so far and really put the hurt on Russia.

Hydra009

US to bolster its military presence in Europe: permanent military HQ in Poland, additional F-35s, additional destroyers, additional air-defense.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 29, 2022, 07:26:09 AMTurkey agrees to Sweden and Finland joining NATO
Nato has formally invited Sweden and Finland to join the alliance.  I can't keep up.  Has Ukraine been invited already?.  Putin needs to know he doesn't have a right to invade other countries just because he shares a border with them.  Good grief, I don't want another war, but Putin is way out of order, and needs to feel the power of the west right in his face.  He needs to be humiliated and not given any chance to save face.  We may need to take this war right to Moscow, and I mean geographically right to Moscow, not in some metaphorical sense.

Hydra009

Finland and Sweden are in the process of joining NATO, afaik Ukraine is not.

But Ukraine is in the process of joining the EU.

Hydra009

An oldie but a goodie:

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 29, 2022, 12:50:27 PMAn oldie but a goodie:

What a fail of intelligence. Also, what a fail of intelligence!
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

144 Ukrainian POWs freed in prisoner exchange

95 of them were defenders from the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol

43 of those are members of the Azov Regiment

Prisoner exchanges are always a net win for Ukraine since Russian soldiers are comparitively worthless.

Edit - the Free Russia soldiers are alright.  So I guess it's not so much nationality as it is dictactor boot-licking.  Leads to spinal damage, or so I've heard.  So it makes sense that so many pro-Putin troops are trying to leave combat for medical reasons, citing spinal damage.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 29, 2022, 07:22:20 PM144 Ukrainian POWs freed in prisoner exchange

95 of them were defenders from the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol

43 of those are members of the Azov Regiment

Prisoner exchanges are always a net win for Ukraine since Russian soldiers are comparitively worthless.

Edit - the Free Russia soldiers are alright.  So I guess it's not so much nationality as it is dictactor boot-licking.  Leads to spinal damage, or so I've heard.  So it makes sense that so many pro-Putin troops are trying to leave combat for medical reasons, citing spinal damage.

Not sure how all Russian tanks got to Ukraine. But in the past, Russians have dropped tanks from aircraft with parachutes, with the soldiers in them. Could that be the cause of spinal damage claims? Or is the suspension system in them such shit? No idea.

Hydra009

Since WWII, military vehicles have been airdropped (sometimes with hilariously costly results if the parachute doesn't deploy correctly)

It's not super common for tanks to be airdropped, but it can be done.

Afaik, never with the troops inside them.  That'd be way too risky and not at all advantageous compared to them dropping alongside the tank.