News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Will Putin Invade Ukraine?

Started by Cassia, January 20, 2022, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I don't normally like interacting with Russian propaganda, but this is so crappy it might have the opposite effect and innoculate people against it.  Plus, it's a teaching moment.

1) Portraying Russia and China as "hemmed in" by having neighbors they aren't allowed to conquer - as if that were a bad thing - is textbook advocacy of imperialism.  As Jeff Foxworthy might say, if you think it's unfair that it's not okay to land-grab anymore, you might be an imperialist.

Plus, not invading your neighbors is the normal and natural state of affairs, not the other way around.  Do you see Canada demand Alaskan territory?  Or Ireland try to attack its neighbors?  No, because that's ridiculous.

2) If Putin didn't decide to conquer Ukraine, there would be no war in Ukraine right now.  It was entirely his call and his blunder.

Blaming NATO for this is not only incorrect, it's such a childish abdication of moral responsibility.

3)  I can't help but notice that they forgot to mention why Russia is being sanctioned.  Invading your neighbor to steal land and resources is bad enough, but Russia has also massacred civilians, tortured civilians, and committed genocide - and all this stuff is sanctioned and premeditated.  If that's not worthy of sanctions, what is?

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 07, 2022, 09:43:26 PM

I don't normally like interacting with Russian propaganda, but this is so crappy it might have the opposite effect and innoculate people against it.  Plus, it's a teaching moment.

1) Portraying Russia and China as "hemmed in" by having neighbors they aren't allowed to conquer - as if that were a bad thing - is textbook advocacy of imperialism.  As Jeff Foxworthy might say, if you think it's unfair that it's not okay to land-grab anymore, you might be an imperialist.

Plus, not invading your neighbors is the normal and natural state of affairs, not the other way again.  Do you see Canada demand Alaskan territory?  Or Ireland try to attack its neighbors?  No, because that's ridiculous.

2) If Putin didn't decide to conquer Ukraine, there would be no war in Ukraine right now.  It was entirely his call and his blunder.

Blaming NATO for this is not only incorrect, it's such a childish abdication of moral responsibility.

3)  I can't help but notice that they forgot to mention why Russia is being sanctioned.  Invading your neighbor to steal land and resources is bad enough, but Russia has also massacred civilians, tortured civilians, and committed genocide - and all this stuff is sanctioned and premeditated.  If that's not worthy of sanctions, what is?
I bet Putin sees this as a civil war. In his mind Ukraine is Russia. He is an irrational, isolated murderer (who probably has cancer) playing the nuclear holocaust card. So dangerous. I wish the Chinese would pressure Putin to give it up. That could work.

Hydra009

US basketball star Brittney Griner was released from Russian captivity in exchange for Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout

Yes, the Merchant of Death guy.  He was arrested for conspiracy to kill U.S. citizens and officials, delivery of anti-aircraft missiles, and providing aid to a terrorist organization.  She was arrested for having hashish oil (victimless crime).

Hydra009

Mysterious explosions rock temporarily-occupied Berdyansk airfield

Russia sure is having a hard time keeping its airfields safe lately.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 06, 2022, 10:05:06 AMMysterious fire in Russian territory not far from Ukraine
Russians say the fuel tanks were empty and undamaged. 

Video shows tanks on fire, and it stands to reason, something within them consumed by fire.

How to reconcile these mutually exclusive claims?
Maybe they were empty when the explosions happened, but the problem was that they were attempting to refuel them while they were still on fire?

Hydra009

Situation still very tense at Bakhmut, currently the focal point of the war.

In accordance with his usual tactical genius, Putin has decided to launch a frontal assault of a highly fortified and defensible position, exacerbating Russian losses for little/no gain.

Hydra009

Ukraine receives "threat emitters" from the US

Basically, these are fake radar systems that appear as real radar systems to the enemy and will complicate their efforts to target real anti-air missile systems and surveillance radar.

Considering that these dolts have been firing super expensive and limited rockets at wooden HIMARS, this should work like a charm.

And yes, that picture is from C&C Red Alert, a totally fictitious game where Russia, led by a maniacal dictator, invades Europe.  They're opposed by Allied powers, who rely heavily on spying and trickery to frustrate Russian aggression.  Completely fictitious.

Hydra009

Hydra009

ferdmonger

Will Vlad be in charge of tourist visits?

"Welcome to your new Russian bombed out cities I have recently declared our own. True, they're not what they used to be and will require some small amount of repair at taxpayer expense, but by god they're yours now!"

Also known as I had to level the city to save the city. 

Hydra009

Unsforseen difficulties: Russians "recruit" prisoners for war then 20 prisoners go AWOL in Ukraine, necessitating a manhunt in a warzone (combing the area is a tad more difficult with landmines in the mix)

The Russians also had a prisoner desert then returned to Russia and opened fire on police, injuring two according to Russian sources.

Now Wagner recruits are shown videos of Wagner publicly executing recruits.  How reassuring.  Stellar morale, I'm sure.

Hydra009

Ukrainian HIMARS strike hits Russian barracks in Melitopol

Estimated 150-200 wounded/dead Russian soldiers.

Very kind of Russia to televise the immediate aftermath of such strikes to let Ukraine know the extent of the damage, as they have with the airfield strikes.