News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Will Putin Invade Ukraine?

Started by Cassia, January 20, 2022, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Yes, "weather" they're going to run into a hail of lead.

I'll be here all week...

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on October 03, 2022, 07:36:27 AMI worry about WWIII also, but I don't think it's going to happen this time around.  When it does happen it will be a surprise to me, even if I think it's inevitable .
Even if we don't go out with a bang due to nuclear war, we'll go out with a whimper due to climate change.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 03, 2022, 08:45:07 PMEven if we don't go out with a bang due to nuclear war, we'll go out with a whimper due to climate change.

Haven't seen 'endgame' yet, but honestly i sometimes find myself wondering if i'd pull a thanos if i could. With my own life having the same odds, i might. If i were guaranteed survival, i don't think i could do the snap.
Though i might have to kill myself afterwards out of sheer guilt.

Quick question, spoilerfree if possible please, does the movie adres that way more than half of the population would wind up dead due to a snap?

Law of averages would dictate that in quite a few planes both pilotes would turn to dust.
A doctor in middle of an operation.
Truck drivers and normal drivers barelling down the highway.
Monitors of a powerplant, poof gone.
And so on...
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 04, 2022, 03:35:58 AMQuick question, spoilerfree if possible please, does the movie adres that way more than half of the population would wind up dead due to a snap?
By the time that happened in the film, I was so overcome/engrossed by the abundance of conflict and confusion that I never gave such details a second thought. Actually, I think the fact that there are so many unexplained details like this in the Marvel Universe that I would consider it good form and keeping with the feel of its Comic Book Origins.  I wouldn't let it pass so easily in more serious action drama, however.

... Or God forbid, anyone's religious beliefs.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 04, 2022, 03:35:58 AMHaven't seen 'endgame' yet, but honestly i sometimes find myself wondering if i'd pull a thanos if i could. With my own life having the same odds, i might. If i were guaranteed survival, i don't think i could do the snap.

Quick question, spoilerfree if possible please, does the movie adres that way more than half of the population would wind up dead due to a snap?

Law of averages would dictate that in quite a few planes both pilotes would turn to dust.
And so on...

Nope. I have other questions too. Like, what qualifies as a "life?" If a pregnant woman is snapped away, does her baby go with her, or does an underdeveloped baby just dropped to the ground? Do viruses count as "life" in this exchange? What about gut bacteria? Sponges are technically colonies. Does the whole sponge disappear, or just half of it? Does intelligent AI qualify as life?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 04, 2022, 03:35:58 AMHaven't seen 'endgame' yet, but honestly i sometimes find myself wondering if i'd pull a thanos if i could. With my own life having the same odds, i might. If i were guaranteed survival, i don't think i could do the snap.

And so on...
A culling would not overturn the root causes of climate change, and therefore would not solve the problem.  In fact, such a move would likely cause a huge amount of secondary problems that likely would result in several ecological incidents.  For example, you can't just erase half of all vegetation in a prairie without doing some serious damage.

And the movie explored some of this (many planes do in fact fall out of the sky) but left a lot of it unaddressed.

Hydra009

Russian lines in Kherson region continue to collapse, allowing Ukrainian forces to liberate 950km2 territory, almost twice what they liberated yesterday.

Ukrainian forces continue to advance from the NE, joined by Ukrainian forces creating a bridgehead over the Inhulets river and advancing from the N and NW, essentially flanking Russian positions.

Shiranu

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 04, 2022, 10:00:25 AMNope. I have other questions too. Like, what qualifies as a "life?" If a pregnant woman is snapped away, does her baby go with her, or does an underdeveloped baby just dropped to the ground? Do viruses count as "life" in this exchange? What about gut bacteria? Sponges are technically colonies. Does the whole sponge disappear, or just half of it? Does intelligent AI qualify as life?
Also, what are we defining as "life"? In many animist traditions, rocks, trees, mountains, rivers and otherwise "inanimate" items are as alive as you and me.

Maybe the stones used Thanos' interpretation of life, which would I guess answer that question.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cassia

Elon, Russia would like to have Alaska back. OK with you?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on October 04, 2022, 02:08:43 PMElon, Russia would like to have Alaska back. OK with you?
As long as Sahara Palin went with it!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on October 04, 2022, 02:08:43 PMElon, Russia would like to have Alaska back. OK with you?
I was hoping not to address it, but yeah, Elon really stepped in it this time.  In his mind, he's just trying to end the violence by drawing up "fair" terms that both sides are unhappy with, but splitting the diff between Russia's war aims (genocide, dissolution of Ukraine, exploitation of Ukraine's natural resources) and Ukraine's war aims (cessation of invasion and associated genocide) is essentially light genocide with significant amounts of land theft, which is not okay.

Hydra009

From a Russian soldier with the 205th Separate Motorized Brigade:

Note the initial confident defense turned into a full-scale retreat, the promised but missing reinforcements, and the utter lack of C&C.  So basically, it's every man for himself.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 04, 2022, 10:00:25 AMNope. I have other questions too. Like, what qualifies as a "life?" If a pregnant woman is snapped away, does her baby go with her, or does an underdeveloped baby just dropped to the ground? Do viruses count as "life" in this exchange? What about gut bacteria? Sponges are technically colonies. Does the whole sponge disappear, or just half of it? Does intelligent AI qualify as life?
Those are the very questions that keep me awake at night!  😵�💫
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

The entire southern front is lit up like a Christmas tree.  You can practically taste those Kherson watermelons.