News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Will Putin Invade Ukraine?

Started by Cassia, January 20, 2022, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

Okay, evidentially I haven't been paying attention. What's with Zorro the Gay Blade?

Hydra009

Quote from: the_antithesis on September 26, 2022, 11:41:15 PMOkay, evidentially I haven't been paying attention. What's with Zorro the Gay Blade?
The Z markings?  They mostly seem to allow Russian units to broadly identify where they're from and to identify themselves as Russian to friendly forces (incidentally, also enemy forces) so friendly forces don't accidentally fire on them (spoiler: friendly forces do fire on them surprisingly often)

Hydra009

Latest Kharkiv counterattack map:

As you can see, two tendrils of Ukrainian forces are coming towards Lyman, one very close to the north and one farther away to the north.  Before long, Russian forces will be encircled.  At that point, they can either take the road straight east out of Lyman or stand their ground.  Kind of a lose-lose-worse situation.  Lyman is an important logistical hub for that region and its loss will cause Russian forces in that area to endure further logistical problems.

Hydra009

Some of the newly mobilized forces are already cargo 200 (KIA)

A train carrying Russian troops was hit by Ukrainian artillery in the Luhansk region.  No doubt their scant training (if any) was insufficient to prepare them for the Ukraine experience.

Hydra009

Russian colonel buried in Russia, reportedly killed by a HIMARS strike in Izyum just prior to the counteroffensive that saw it liberated

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 27, 2022, 12:56:59 AMLatest Kharkiv counterattack map:

As you can see, two tendrils of Ukrainian forces are coming towards Lyman

I hate the icons on that map. It looks like the Ukrainians are going the wrong way.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Hydra009

Meanwhile, Kazakhstan is struggling to accomodate the somehow simultaneously war-weary and war-mongering refugees.

It should be noted that Kazakhstan got threatened by Russians for not being pro-war enough and now is working hard to house and provide for Russians.

And Finland closed its border and recommends building a fence along part of its border.

Hydra009

Nordstream 1 and 2 pipelines experienced a sudden drop in pressure recently and now officials believe it was likely a targetted attack

the_antithesis

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 27, 2022, 12:41:09 AMThe Z markings?  They mostly seem to allow Russian units to broadly identify where they're from and to identify themselves as Russian to friendly forces (incidentally, also enemy forces) so friendly forces don't accidentally fire on them (spoiler: friendly forces do fire on them surprisingly often)

So the Gay Blade works.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 27, 2022, 09:41:43 AMAnd Finland closed its border and recommends building a fence along part of its border.
Maybe they could get some advice from Trump on how to build a wall.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 27, 2022, 09:58:09 AMNordstream 1 and 2 pipelines experienced a sudden drop in pressure recently and now officials believe it was likely a targetted attack
Out of all the countries in Europe, they decided to pick on Denmark, Sweden, Poland and Norway with this chemical attack...

Russia really likes to try punching up...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 27, 2022, 05:11:33 PMMaybe they could get some advice from Trump on how to build a wall.
I worry that Ukrainian refugees in Europe could be harassed/harmed by Russians, either already living there or moving there to evade mobilization.  Theoretically, they both should have a lot in common - slavic ethnicity, soviet history, this war has upended both their lives, etc.  But in practice, Russians have been fed a lot of disinfo about Ukrainians and that kind of stuff has lingering effects.

For now, I'm glad that they're mostly going to different countries, though I hear some Azov higher-ups have agreed to stay in Turkey until the end of the war as a condition of release from Russian captivity and Turkey is a popular destination for Russian refugees.  So the odds of them bumping into each other are not zero.

This whole situation is a bit odd.  Could you imagine in WWII a country taking in Jewish refugees and then taking in German possibly-nazis not long after?  Like in some sort of Paperclip Operation?  That'd be wild!

Hydra009