News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

From Hard Atheist to Hard Christian?

Started by Vixen92, June 28, 2013, 03:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

Quote from: "Brian37"To say it is impossible for an atheist to convert and "find god" would be absurd. I would question however, the degree of education as to holding the atheist position as being key to more immunity for falling for elaborate tripe.
True.  We're all born atheists, but we're also all born with almost no "education" (even a newborn has learned a few things).  And we're born with almost no ability to reason.  I think those are the keys - education and ability to reason (which can be taught).

All theists are "atheists" who "have found God".  But they weren't educated reasoning atheists.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Mai Mariarti

Watch Religulous by Bill Maher my favorite tv man.
If you still have questions, Call 1800-FUCK-Religion for answers.

Voskhod

As far as I can tell the idea that one can be even the most unshakably godless, cynical, militant, heretical, and blasphemous of Atheists; and still somehow become converted through a simple reading of the bible, is nothing more than simple wishful thinking on the part of the (very obviously biased) fundamentalist that goes around spreading said stories.

I have never in all my years heard of a Hard Atheist becoming Christian/Muslim/Jewish/Whathaveyou, and have heard of such things happening only and entirely from the mouths of extremely devout Church-goers. Though, I have heard of many a Soft Atheist converting to one religion or another, usually that of an out-there fringe religion of the country like Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, or even Scientology. However, in the case of said Soft Atheists converting, they have always been those who recently disembarked from a mainstream religion like Christianity and Islam, essentially meaning that their brief period of Soft Atheism was nothing more than a brief transitional phase of belief that was caused as a byproduct of converting from one religion to another.

But that's just me.
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

Johan

Quote from: "Vixen92"So, a Christian friend of mine has told me twice now of some hard Atheist's that she knew - her father and former pastor - who read the Bible, and - poof - saw the light!
You have been lied to.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Broede

I think it's entirely possible that a hardline atheist got sick of hearing the bullshit streaming from the theist's mouth and simply threw up his hands in disgust and said "WOW!  I've never heard THAT argument before!  I'm just gonna go out and get baptized and sacrifice some animals right now, praise God!"  Naturally, Christians think they win all arguments, whether they do or not.

Plu

Welcome aboard Broede :P I wouldn't be surprised if some of these stories started with exactly that kind of thing.