News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

From Hard Atheist to Hard Christian?

Started by Vixen92, June 28, 2013, 03:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vixen92

Alrighty, here is a question I have been DYING to ask some other agnostic/atheist people.

So, a Christian friend of mine has told me twice now of some hard Atheist's that she knew - her father and former pastor - who read the Bible, and - poof - saw the light! Supposedly her father went out to disprove the Bible but realized historical facts matched up, and the other tried to disprove the entire Bible but realized it was ALL TRUE! Now, I maybe a decedent of a monkey, but I don't feel like no fool today. I have honestly NEVER heard of this happening, mind you I have not been an agnostic very long, let alone spoke about it openly with other people - since most just shoved their bloody religion down my throat anyway - but I wanted to know what you guys thought, or any other stories that you might have heard about this amazing phenomenon that striking the atheist community.

Personally, just to me, it sounds like a cheesy line some creep feeds you to get into your pants. Or, in this case, your common senses.

Plu

Seems unlikely. You'd have to be pretty dumb to think it's all correct, unless you start with the idea that it's all right and then start from there.

Vixen92

Quote from: "Plu"Seems unlikely. You'd have to be pretty dumb to think it's all correct, unless you start with the idea that it's all right and then start from there.

And that's what I don't get. Atheists typically do a lot of research to come to their final non-belief, so how can you just jump from facts to all that... mess.

Plu

Because of the word "typically". It assumes that you started with researching and became an atheist because of that.

Some people are just not raised religiously, and are looking for the easiest possible answer to reality.

Jason78

I hear lots of anecdotal evidence like that.  And I can't think of a single instance where it hasn't been some god warrior hot for jesus trying to win souls relaying it.

It may have genuinely happened once or twice, there's always that possibility, there's a lot of gullible people out there in the world.  But I don't think these are anything but parables to show to the unconverted that "See!  You can do it too!".

It's yet another lie in the christians toolkit.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

caseagainstfaith

Sounds like bullshit.  Now, there is no telling for sure. People are different and I can't prove nobody has ever done something like that.  But, I will guran-fucking-tee that the exact opposite -- a Christian actually reading the Bible and realize it is bullshit -- has happened many, many more times.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

SGOS

Quote from: "Jason78"It may have genuinely happened once or twice, there's always that possibility, there's a lot of gullible people out there in the world.  But I don't think these are anything but parables to show to the unconverted that "See!  You can do it too!".

It's yet another lie in the christians toolkit.
Yeah, like Caseagainstfaith, I'm calling bullshit on this one too.  Clearly, the part about finding the historical accuracies that brought one to a position of faith is based on some very illogical processes.  There's nothing that supports faith.  That's why they call it faith in the first place.

But it makes for great story telling lessons.  Hard atheist or skeptic sheds reason and turns to faith for a better life and becomes saved.  Christians love this kind of testimonial story telling.  Some of them get saved two or three times:  "I was a fool, but then I became wise.  Then I backslid, but I was saved again by Jesus.  Look!  Now I'm a fool.  Now I'm saved.  Now I'm not.  Now I am.  See?  The miracles just keep happening." :-D

Jason Harvestdancer

Most of the time these "former Atheists" were simply not concerned with religion, not actual atheists.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Solitary

Why would anyone past 12 years old become religious after reading the first chapter of any bible? A woman from a man's rib, talking snakes, and a God talking to other gods.  :roll: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Vixen92"Personally, just to me, it sounds like a cheesy line some creep feeds you to get into your pants.

Oh, come on. That line wasn't that cheesy.

Plu

Quote from: "Solitary"Why would anyone past 12 years old become religious after reading the first chapter of any bible? A woman from a man's rib, talking snakes, and a God talking to other gods.  :roll: Solitary

Because that 12 year old has seen how complicated the other explanation is and thinking makes his brain hurt.

Maelstrom

People who change their beliefs never lose the fervor for those beliefs.  If someone was a hardcore militant Christian that became an atheist, he will most likely be a hardcore militant atheist/anti-theist.  The same is true for those who are hardcore atheists and then convert to a religious set of beliefs, he will most likely then be a hardcore theist.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Jason78"Yeah, like Caseagainstfaith, I'm calling bullshit on this one too.  Clearly, the part about finding the historical accuracies that brought one to a position of faith is based on some very illogical processes.  There's nothing that supports faith.  That's why they call it faith in the first place.

I agree. The part about historical facts matching up convincing him seems unlikely, since the historical events are not accurate. I also agree that faith doesn't require evidence. Personally I just can't see a rational person reading the Bible and saying "This makes total sense! Of course the Earth was made in six days."

I have talked online with someone who once was an atheist who now is not. I can't adequately summarize his reasoning but the general story is he had a near death experience that made him realize that consciousness is not bound by the physical universe.

SGOS

Quote from: "GSOgymrat"I have talked online with someone who once was an atheist who now is not. I can't adequately summarize his reasoning but the general story is he had a near death experience that made him realize that consciousness is not bound by the physical universe.
Yeah, apparently those can be quite convincing to the predisposed.

Vixen92

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"Most of the time these "former Atheists" were simply not concerned with religion, not actual atheists.

Thank you! That's pretty much what I was thinking but wasn't sure exactly how to word it. It's easier to sit there and say, "Screw religion, I'm atheist." Than to actually investigate both arguments and see which one make more sense. Which is sad but Christians don't exactly want you to ask questions about their shady book of bullshit and obey me.