Is it wrong to tell Christians what's wrong with their religion?

Started by Jagella, October 07, 2021, 08:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Greatest I am on November 30, 2021, 10:05:56 AM
I agree that when a person becomes an adult, he will put away the things of children, like the supernatural.

Regards
DL

I did that the first (and last) time I went to Sunday School. Asked awkward questions about where Noah's boys got their wives.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Greatest I am on December 01, 2021, 11:31:06 AM
Fail on moral thinking by a long shot.

Care to argue for homophobia and misogyny

You have yet to share with me what you believe 'morals' to be.  So how can I fail on something when I am not aware of what you think I failed at? 

When have I ever mentioned  that I thought homophobia and misogyny was good? 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Greatest I am

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 01, 2021, 10:10:17 PM
Wow. You really came out of the woodwork and came out swinging, didn't you.
Care to explain your flaming attitude?

I do not suffer fools well.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 01, 2021, 10:48:13 PM
I did that the first (and last) time I went to Sunday School. Asked awkward questions about where Noah's boys got their wives.

Incest is best, I hear.

Yuk.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 02, 2021, 09:16:38 AM
You have yet to share with me what you believe 'morals' to be.  So how can I fail on something when I am not aware of what you think I failed at? 

When have I ever mentioned  that I thought homophobia and misogyny was good? 

The dictionary definition of morals suits me fine.

I do not want to invent a new definition.

Regards
DL

Mike Cl

Quote from: Greatest I am on December 02, 2021, 10:41:06 AM
The dictionary definition of morals suits me fine.

I do not want to invent a new definition.

Regards
DL
--(morals)
a person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do.

--Full Definition of moral (Entry 1 of 2)
1a: of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior : ETHICAL
moral judgments
b: expressing or teaching a conception of right behavior
a moral poem
c: conforming to a standard of right behavior
took a moral position on the issue though it cost him the nomination
d: sanctioned by or operative on one's conscience or ethical judgment
a moral obligation
e: capable of right and wrong action
a moral agent

--Morality (from Latin: moralitas, lit. 'manner, character, proper behavior') is the differentiation of intentions, decisions and actions between those that are distinguished as proper (right) and those that are improper (wrong), and it’s a construct of justice.[1] Morality can be a body of standards or principles derived from a code of conduct from a particular philosophy, religion or culture, or it can derive from a standard that a person believes should be universal.[2] Morality may also be specifically synonymous with "goodness" or "rightness".

Moral philosophy includes meta-ethics, which studies abstract issues such as moral ontology and moral epistemology, and normative ethics, which studies more concrete systems of moral decision-making such as deontological ethics and consequentialism. An example of normative ethical philosophy is the Golden Rule, which states: "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself."[3][4]

Immorality is the active opposition to morality (i.e. opposition to that which is good or right), while amorality is variously defined as an unawareness of, indifference toward, or disbelief in any particular set of moral standards or principles.

The above is a small sample of dictionary definitions of 'morals'.  These definitions do not tell us what 'morals' are beyond being 'good'.  That does not tell us what things are good and which are not.

Question--from where do morals come?  Does god give us the meaning?  Does society?  Churches?  The courts?  You have not addressed if or what universal morals are.  You do seem to like discussing things in the most vague ways.  Could you enlighten us??
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Greatest I am

Mike

Your ---
"Gnostic christians are neither more nor less moral than any other christian."

First, thanks for the definition.

Second, I do not think we have an argument on morals being subjective.

You judged my morals as equal to the mainstream Christianity, --- that is homophobic and misogynous, --- and discriminates negatively, without a just cause, --- against better than half the world.

Gnostic Christian are universalists and give all souls the same value.

Our religion does not have parents hate their gay or female children.

If you wish to compare me to those ass holes, and find my morals as low as theirs, then yours must be way lower than mine.

If you are no better than a Christian, you are not fit to judge.

Regards
DL

Cassia

Most xtians believe their book and a human scapegoat needed to be tortured and sacrificed for our 'sins' so a 'loving' dictator (who made us 'broken') can save us all from an eternal burning pit. This is immoral on so many levels

Mike Cl

Quote from: Greatest I am on December 02, 2021, 02:20:11 PM
Mike

Your ---
"Gnostic christians are neither more nor less moral than any other christian."

First, thanks for the definition.

Second, I do not think we have an argument on morals being subjective.

You judged my morals as equal to the mainstream Christianity, --- that is homophobic and misogynous, --- and discriminates negatively, without a just cause, --- against better than half the world.

Gnostic Christian are universalists and give all souls the same value.

Our religion does not have parents hate their gay or female children.

If you wish to compare me to those ass holes, and find my morals as low as theirs, then yours must be way lower than mine.

If you are no better than a Christian, you are not fit to judge.

Regards
DL
MMMMMM................Why do you keep dodging the question?????  It is a simply one, really.  What are morals and where do they come from; who or what establishes them???

Greatest I am

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 02, 2021, 05:14:11 PM
MMMMMM................Why do you keep dodging the question?????  It is a simply one, really.  What are morals and where do they come from; who or what establishes them???

I did not dodge anything and have already accepted your definition.

Where morals come from, is your DNA.

It controls your thinking chemically.

Regards
DL

Hydra009

Quote from: Greatest I am on December 03, 2021, 10:14:00 AM

lol, Mike.  He's gotcha there.  If you break it down and go super dterministic, it really does boil down to chemistry.  Though this isn't a particularly satisfying answer for many because it seemingly denies agency and moral reasoning altogether.

Though I do wonder what attracts people to ideologies with subpar moral ideas baked in and how to lessen its appeal.  Maybe that's a forever problem.  Maybe it's a stage of human development.  Who knows.

Mike Cl

Regards
DL
Interesting.  So, my morals are determined by my DNA and via chemical messages controls my thinking.  So who/what creates that DNA?

BTW, those definitions are not mine, but copy and pasted from dictionaries.  Actually, I don't think morals exist.  Rules of conduct do, but are derived from each society/culture.  And many rules of conduct co-exist with societies/cultures.  And each person has their own rules of conduct, as well.   

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 03, 2021, 11:14:58 AM
lol, Mike.  He's gotcha there.  If you break it down and go super dterministic, it really does boil down to chemistry.  Though this isn't a particularly satisfying answer for many because it seemingly denies agency and moral reasoning altogether.

Though I do wonder what attracts people to ideologies with subpar moral ideas baked in and how to lessen its appeal.  Maybe that's a forever problem.  Maybe it's a stage of human development.  Who knows.
Actually I think each person's chemical makeup determines much of what a person thinks, feels, and does.  And that fact is only now becoming fully appreciated by the scientific community.  For an example, pedophiliacs simply can't control their impulses--there is no cure for it at this point in time.  And 'insanity' is caused by a bad batch of chemicals within that person. 

For me, so called morals are determined by society as a whole and each individual.  That does frustrate theists everywhere and everywhen.   

aitm

Regards
DL

Hoo-boy…..ðŸ™,,
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust