News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anyone See Black Widow Yet?

Started by SGOS, July 10, 2021, 08:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 13, 2021, 05:58:57 AM
One-upping other superheroes does have the inevitable outcome of being god or being second rate.
That's why they have to occupy different tiers: street-level, national, international, cosmic.  Daredevil has to fight thugs, not Galactus.  Reed Richards has to fight Galactus, not thugs.

SGOS

I like the way Marvel capitalizes on Titans.  Not sure why Titans are not gods.  Thor is a god, and in my idiosyncratic hierarchy, Thor by himself should be able to stop any Titan in his tracks, no matter how many stones the Titan has.  Oh well, I don't really need to understand it all. 

I'm going to see Black Widow at noon today.  I'm doing the 3D.  From what I've heard the XScreen format sounds even more gimmicky and may even be a distraction.  The idea behind XScreen is sound, but they are doing it on the cheap, kind of like today's Imax on the cheap.  Maybe I'll check it out, but not today.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 13, 2021, 07:03:13 AM
That's why they have to occupy different tiers: street-level, national, international, cosmic.  Daredevil has to fight thugs, not Galactus.  Reed Richards has to fight Galactus, not thugs.
Hawkeye went after assholes. BW went after Hawkeye. I'm so confused. I definitely remember Budapest very differently.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

I think the reason Black Widow went after Hawkeye had less to do with who he was going after and more to do with what he was doing to them. He became an assassin, killing bad guys without mercy.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 13, 2021, 04:13:32 PMI think the reason Black Widow went after Hawkeye had less to do with who he was going after and more to do with what he was doing to them. He became an assassin, killing bad guys without mercy.
And when she tracked him down, she was pretty casual and relaxed.  He didn't even know she was there until she was practically in touch range.  She's clearly way above him in terms of power levels, even though they're both non-supes.

Hydra009

Due to IRL events, I have changed my mind about this movie.  Black Widow is the best movie ever made and I'm eternally glad I went to go see it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 13, 2021, 08:44:21 PM
And when she tracked him down, she was pretty casual and relaxed.  He didn't even know she was there until she was practically in touch range.  She's clearly way above him in terms of power levels, even though they're both non-supes.
OR she knew he would never ever harm her. The Soul Stone scene supports that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 13, 2021, 09:29:36 PM
Due to IRL events, I have changed my mind about this movie.  Black Widow is the best movie ever made and I'm eternally glad I went to go see it.
Boss Lady calls it "The Women's Lib" movie. ;-)
PZ Myers

SGOS

I enjoyed watching Florence Pugh after seeing her in ‘Midsommar’.  I'm not into most horror, but that movie spooked me psychologically and gave me bad dreams.  Black Widow was OK, but not one of Marvel's finest, and it still seems mostly irrelevant to me at this time.  It was also a repeat of several recent women gone deadly spy plots, with some Marvel magic thrown in.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 14, 2021, 05:16:19 AM
OR she knew he would never ever harm her. The Soul Stone scene supports that.
Despite being casual, she also seemed on guard.  Afaik, this is the only time after his mind septer mind control that the two have had any sort of tension.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 14, 2021, 06:32:00 AM
I enjoyed watching Florence Pugh after seeing her in ‘Midsommar’.  I'm not into most horror, but that movie spooked me psychologically and gave me bad dreams.
I like some light horror (vampire flicks, zombie flicks, Stephen King, Lovecraft, etc) but that movie was easy too much for me to handle.  I should never have watched it.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 14, 2021, 07:12:20 AM
I like some light horror (vampire flicks, zombie flicks, Stephen King, Lovecraft, etc) but that movie was easy too much for me to handle.  I should never have watched it.
I was having the same thoughts while I was watching it.  The worst horror is the kind that sticks closer to home, and includes things that could happen.  Put a monster with four arms and big teeth in the scene, and it includes an element of absurdity, almost humor.  But real people doing hideous things to others can actually happen.  The use of drug tripping in Midsommar added a psychological element, because I always wondering if the characters were just tripping or this was actually happening.  And it causes us to relate to the horror on a personal level, because probably many of us know how hard it can be to discern actual reality while on a bad trip.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 13, 2021, 08:45:03 AM
I like the way Marvel capitalizes on Titans.  Not sure why Titans are not gods.  Thor is a god, and in my idiosyncratic hierarchy, Thor by himself should be able to stop any Titan in his tracks, no matter how many stones the Titan has.  Oh well, I don't really need to understand it all.
In Greek mythology, the Titans are the original pantheon of gods before the Olympic gods overthrew them and took over.  Titans are formidable, even compared to the power of a (Olympian) god.

In Marvel comics, Titans are just Eternals/Deviants who lived on Titan (Thanos is their sole Deviant, iirc).  Marvel power hierarchy is kinda complicated but here's the super simplified version:   A few ludicrously powerful beings (One Above All, The Grand Tribunal, etc) > Abstracts (Eternity, Infinity) > Celestials (that armored giant leveling the planet in Guardians of the Galaxy, Peter Quill's dad in the sequel)) > Eternals/Deviants (Thanos) > Asgardians (Thor, Loki) > normal humans

And yes, the Infinity Stones make a HUGE difference.  They're sometimes viewed as mere powerups or very powerful tools, which is incorrect.  They're the fundamental foundation of the universe, and the universe changes to match the stones.  By possessing even one stone, you are directly tapping into a fundamental aspect of reality and can do anything within its sphere.  Imagine being blind your whole life (everyone is born blind) and suddenly being able to see with perfect clarity, even over large distances.  You could look at the moon and see the flag on its surface, look at dim galaxies and see their individual stars.  That rush of information, of insight - that's what it's like to wield just one infinity stone.  Possessing all of them would basically break a normal person from the revelation, but if they adjusted (the experience alone is life-altering), they'd be right up there with The Living Tribunal.

SGOS

My mythology is weak.  I know that Thor had a hammer, Icarus flew too close to the sun, and Jesus cursed fig trees.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on July 14, 2021, 12:31:56 PM
My mythology is weak.  I know that Thor had a hammer, Icarus flew too close to the sun, and Jesus cursed fig trees.

In Greek mythology, the original god was the earth. The sky, her husband, came from...somewhere. He rained his jizz on the earth, giving birth to the Titans. One of those Titans, the time god, cuts the sky's balls off and becomes the head god himself. But the weavers of fate predicted that the time god's son would do the same to him that he did to his own father, so he ate all of his children. But he actually didn't, because the time god's wife actually gave him a stone instead of the child. So the stone child grows up and rips the time god to pieces, spreading out the parts so the time god would never be whole again. And because the stone god killed time, he's basically set for eternity now. He spends his free time fucking literally everybody except for his wife.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--